Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Loving my new RT but haven't really pushed it yet. I am kind of old school and baby my cars for the first 500 miles and the first oil change at 500 miles.

Even gently driving, my 2022 has way more kick-in-the-pants feel than my 2015 did even though they have the same 5.7/A8 drivetrain and differential.

I am super curious as to how the hood scoop (is it functional) and the active exhaust impact performance. The difference is substantial to the point where acceleration surprised me. At first I thought it was just an unexpected downshift, but happens at multiple speeds without a downshift.

Does Dodge re-rate their engines annually?
Would the active exhaust and scoop possibly increase power under the curve without increasing rated peak HP/TQ?
Is it possible that my 2015 was just a dog?

· Registered
2017 Charger R/T Blacktop
9,736 Posts
Loving my new RT but haven't really pushed it yet. I am kind of old school and baby my cars for the first 500 miles and the first oil change at 500 miles.

Even gently driving, my 2022 has way more kick-in-the-pants feel than my 2015 did even though they have the same 5.7/A8 drivetrain and differential.

I am super curious as to how the hood scoop (is it functional) and the active exhaust impact performance. The difference is substantial to the point where acceleration surprised me. At first I thought it was just an unexpected downshift, but happens at multiple speeds without a downshift.

Does Dodge re-rate their engines annually?
Would the active exhaust and scoop possibly increase power under the curve without increasing rated peak HP/TQ?
Is it possible that my 2015 was just a dog?
No power increase but the exhaust pipe size increased from 2.5" to 2.75" starting in 2017 along with the addition of the active exhaust. The hood scoop would not add power.

· Registered
2,405 Posts
Your hood scoop is part functional in that it lets air into the engine bay but does not direct the air over your CAI like the Challenger TA's do. Like said, there was an increase in pipe size so all V8's got the 2 3/4 inch pipes. The increase would not add much power, maybe 5 hp. The power on the 5.7L's have not changed since the Eagle motor was introduced. My guess is that maybe you babied the 2015 more than your newer one. If you drive it like you stole it, the car will respond and seem more aggressive than if you just drove it like Grandma.

Reactions: RamAirV1

· Registered
2013 Dodge Charger RT AWD Plus
41 Posts
The hood scoop for the most part is just letting colder air into the engine bay but oem air box is almost completely closed off from the engine bay. If you had an air ram hood with a boxed short ram cai, the car would feel a little more peppier but as far as cat back and cai you would be looking at 1%-2% gain on the high end. It is not until tunes and bolt on mods when you start seeing more power (I.E. camshaft, ported heads, headers, intake manifold, throttle body)

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The hood scoop for the most part is just letting colder air into the engine bay but oem air box is almost completely closed off from the engine bay. If you had an air ram hood with a boxed short ram cai, the car would feel a little more peppier but as far as cat back and cai you would be looking at 1%-2% gain on the high end. It is not until tunes and bolt on mods when you start seeing more power (I.E. camshaft, ported heads, headers, intake manifold, throttle body)
Could it be the sub 40f temps that I was driving in, normally I never see below 60f.

· Registered
2013 Dodge Charger RT AWD Plus
41 Posts
Could it be the sub 40f temps that I was driving in, normally I never see below 60f.
Yeah, colder ambient air temp helps you engine run better. Basically a cold morning it will feel like your driving a 392, but once it warms up in the afternoon, it feels like your driving a V6. I just swapped my hood for a Ram Air sniper hood from amerihood and i have been running 10 Degrees over ambient air temp at full temp (203degrees) because its dumping that air into my mopar cai. Where as my oem r/t hood with the same cai would be looking at 90degrees minimum at full temp engine. If you are looking at getting a cai, I recommend either a short ram with a ram air hood or an official cai that puts the filter in the lower part of the bumper where your air box is pulling air from (also 2015+ i think has a grill insert for cai)

· Registered
230 Posts
Congrats on the R/T.
The only down side with hood scoop. Driving at freeway speeds with a good headwind. The hood wants to lift up. It may be a little startling at first. Don‘t worry about it, if the hood is all the way latched closed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts