Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some advice please. 2013 SRT - 53,000 miles. I'm getting an odd chirping noise that the dealership is telling me is coming from my adaptive exhaust valves. Very annoying sound for sure. It used to happen in eco mode only but now I can hear it during start up and in normal cruising conditions. Since this is an exhaust issue it is not covered under my aftermarket warranty and will cost about $1,600 to replace the entire exhaust system. Is this accurate? Is there any alternative fix that anyone is aware of? If I would replace the exhaust system does anyone have a recommended shop in the Tampa, FL area? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
The Active Exhaust Valves (AEV) are located at the cold end of the exhaust pipe before the muffler, after the catalytic converters. The AEV is welded into the cold end of the exhaust pipe. The exhaust pipe must be replaced if replacement of the valve is required. The AEV is non repairable.

Replacing the exhaust pipe does not entail replacing the entire exhaust system. I would go to a custom exhaust shop and see what they can do about sourcing just the exhaust pipe section that has the AEV.

In addition to the AEV there is a Exhaust Differential Pressure Sensor mounted on the transmission housing. It has a pressure tube that measures back-pressure created by the AEVs located at the cold end of the exhaust system. The sensor monitors the pressure in the exhaust system and determines if the valves are working properly.
The PCM will post error code P0476 (EXHAUST PRESSURE CONTROL VALVE RANGE/PERFORMANCE) if the AEVs are stuck closed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you djalbin. I will take your advice and seek out a custom shop to look into it further. This is probably a silly question but are these custom exhaust shops equipped to handle the PCM error issues that go along with the Exhaust Differential Pressure Sensor if they were to be able to source that part of the pipe? I would like to not have to deal with the CEL coming on as a result of this repair.

I've been looking at exhaust systems the last few days and wouldn't mind upgrading to something with a little more growl. Should I go this route, do you, or anyone on this site, have any suggestions on what system would go well with my 2013 SRT (magnaflow, flowmaster, etc.)?

Thanks again for your reply.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Check with Bobby at UAR Performance in Largo. He is very knowledgeable about Mopar products. He performed the mods on my SuperBee.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Flexie - are you the original owner of the car ??

If not and if the exhaust was replaced under warranty by previous owner you may be able to get FCA to step up. I'm getting my second warranty replacement this week at 46K miles. (first was 23K). The rattle is horrible indeed. I'm also up for a more aggressive note but I didn't want to go aftermarket only to find CEL and P0476 popping. I'm told that the factory PNs have been revised. The dealer opened a star case and did get a response that the revised design was "improved". KUDOs to my dealer and to FCA for standing by the product but I hope I'm not doing this again at 70K. Car has been fantastic except for these active exhaust valves.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had the same problem and the dealer replaced the exhaust but it also came back around 42 or 43,000 miles. I didn't expect them to do anything more so I had the mufflers and valves removed. I've hadn't had any issues with codes since then. I like do like the sound but if I were to do it again I may have left the mufflers and just removed the valves. I still have the mufflers and may out them back on some day (without the valves). Hope everything works out for you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reply to CPRHDSRT:
I am the original owner and I have not had the exhaust replaced prior to being out of warranty. The Fidelity aftermarket warranty specifically doesn't cover exhaust items so I'm on my own. I don't suppose that you have that star case number handy that I can use to reference my issue? If so, send my way and I will try to go down that path. My dealer doesn't even have a stock exhaust system in their parts inventory to help me out. They originally thought I had the valves put in aftermarket and didn't realize it was an SRT upgrade. I haven't had the opportunity to get to a performance shop in Largo that Wildbee659 suggested however I did get a quote from him and intend to get there sooner than later to get some resolution. Wish he was open on Saturdays.

I may just have the valves removed similar to ingear67 if that was enough to get the chirping to stop. I'm glad to hear that isn't causing any code issues.

Thanks to all for chiming in.

Flexie - are you the original owner of the car ??

If not and if the exhaust was replaced under warranty by previous owner you may be able to get FCA to step up. I'm getting my second warranty replacement this week at 46K miles. (first was 23K). The rattle is horrible indeed. I'm also up for a more aggressive note but I didn't want to go aftermarket only to find CEL and P0476 popping. I'm told that the factory PNs have been revised. The dealer opened a star case and did get a response that the revised design was "improved". KUDOs to my dealer and to FCA for standing by the product but I hope I'm not doing this again at 70K. Car has been fantastic except for these active exhaust valves.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ingear67, with the removal of the valves and mufflers do you still get into the eco mode and get decent MPG? I drive at least 25,000 miles a year (98% highway) and that is important to me. I find the sweet spot for cruising is at 83 mph and its still in eco mode giving me 21/22 mph.....25 mpg from Tampa to Daytona at 77 mph with ACC never once touching the gas or brake. You gotta love that!!!!

Thanks,
Flexie

I had the same problem and the dealer replaced the exhaust but it also came back around 42 or 43,000 miles. I didn't expect them to do anything more so I had the mufflers and valves removed. I've hadn't had any issues with codes since then. I like do like the sound but if I were to do it again I may have left the mufflers and just removed the valves. I still have the mufflers and may out them back on some day (without the valves). Hope everything works out for you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Flexie,

They did replace the exhaust this week. Back to normal. Not sure that the STAR case went anywhere. They put the same PNs (and revisions) on this week that they did before so no change in design. Sounds like ingear67 hasn't had any CEL P0476 code issues with deleting the AEVs so that might be the easiest way forward for you. You probably won't get far with FCA since you are out of warranty - unless you have a very tight relationship with your dealer. Hope it works out OK for you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you!!! I'll just get the valves cut out and see how that works. I will update the thread once finished with the results so others can be informed as well. It's nice having the opportunity to bounce ideas around with other SRT owners.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are the valves in the factory catback or in the cats/mid pipes?
11blkrt, here's a pic of the little buggers that are causing all the frustration. It just looks so simple to cut them out and remove them but I'm questioning the ramifications if not properly done.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ingear67, with the removal of the valves and mufflers do you still get into the eco mode and get decent MPG? I drive at least 25,000 miles a year (98% highway) and that is important to me. I find the sweet spot for cruising is at 83 mph and its still in eco mode giving me 21/22 mph.....25 mpg from Tampa to Daytona at 77 mph with ACC never once touching the gas or brake. You gotta love that!!!!

Thanks,
Flexie
Sorry for my delayed response. My ECO mode didn't change any that I an tell. Also my mileage stayed about the same as it had before. I drive mostly city and some highway. In the city if I drive with light traffic I get about 17 and then on the highway on mostly flat highways I've gotten 26 mpg at about 65-70 mph. On more hilly highways I get about 23-24 normally. Of course if I get more aggressive and don't use the cruise it can drop a good bit.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread. Has anyone tried any simple modifications to the spring itself to quiet the valves? I recall reading on a 300 forum about some sort of o-ring that kept the spring from vibrating. I had mine replaced for this issue at around 20K and it is back at 50K. It seems to me that the tension on the spring must get weaker over time.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread. Has anyone tried any simple modifications to the spring itself to quiet the valves? I recall reading on a 300 forum about some sort of o-ring that kept the spring from vibrating. I had mine replaced for this issue at around 20K and it is back at 50K. It seems to me that the tension on the spring must get weaker over time.
I'm not sure how that would work since it may affect how easily the valve operate open with a O-ring? But I have heard of some who just have their valves tack welded open and that resolves the rattle issue and should affect much else. The sound may change some but I don't thing it will be very noticeable.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have been thinking about wiring them open, although I understand it will eventually throw a code due to lack of back pressure. It seems like they would come up with a fix.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts