Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this explanation of adjustable tuning parameters over at DiabloSport.com. Though it may be for the predator the information is still relevant for the DCX.

Explanation of Adjustable Parameters

Cooling Fans AC off

High MPH HS Fan On:
High MPH High Speed Fan On when ac is off and above 8mph

High MPH MS Fan On:
High MPH Medium Speed Fan On when ac is off and above 8mph

High MPH LS Fan On:
High MPH Low Speed Fan On when ac is off and above 8mph

Low MPH HS Fan On:
Low MPH High Speed Fan On when ac is off and below 8mph

Low MPH MS Fan On:
Low MPH Medium Speed Fan On when ac is off and below 8mph

Low MPH LS Fan On:
Low MPH Low Speed Fan On when ac is off and below 8mph

Cooling Fans AC on

HS Fan On:
High Speed Fan On when ac is on

MS Fan On:
Medium Speed Fan On when ac is on

LS Fan On:
Low Speed Fan On when ac is on

Spark Adjustment

WOT Spark 1k-3.8k:
Allows user to adjust timing +/-10 degrees in the 1000-3800 rpm range

WOT Spark 4k-4.8k:
Allows user to adjust timing +/-10 degrees in the 4000-4800 rpm range

WOT Spark 5k-7k:
Allows user to adjust timing +/-10 degrees in the 5000-7000 rpm range
To properly dial in your timing using the Predator you need to log or monitor the following live data parameters.
Spark, this is your actual timing (in degrees) at any given time.
Knock Retard, this the amount of timing removed (in degrees) due to knock (detonation/ping). The knock sensors can in rare cases pick up other harsh engine noises as well, if this is the case it is recommended to fix the cause of the noise before proceeding.
You basically always want the knock retard to read zero under wide open throttle conditions, it is normal for it to show some KR when stomping on the throttle and also during the shift.
Monitor the spark and the knock retard pids under wide open throttle and see if you have any knock retard, anything higher than 1 should be adjusted in the respective timing range in the Predator , if the knock is severe, 5 deg plus, try lowering spark by 10%, if less than 5 deg, try 5%. Make another wide open pass and monitor the same pids and basically keep doing this until you seen no knock retard.
NOTE: The use of respective grade fuel should be used with tune choice.
The 91 octane tune can be used with 91 octane or greater octane level. The 93 octane tune can only be used with 93 octane fuel. If severe knock cannot be remedied by adjusting the parameters for it, try to install the factory tune and monitor the knock using it. If knock still is present consider switching fuel brand.
DiabloSport recommends using fuels from the following vendors:
Mobil, Sunoco and Amoco/BP.

Knock Sensors

Disabling the knock sensors can cause severe damage to your engine if used with poor quality or low octane fuels.
Short term Knock sensor enable/disable:
Enable or disable the short term knock sensor.
Long term Knock sensor enable/disable:
Enable or disable the long term knock sensor.

Fuel Adjustment

WOT Fuel 1k-3.8k
Allows user to adjust fuel +/- 20% in the 1000-3800 rpm range

WOT Fuel 4k-4.8k
Allows user to adjust fuel +/- 20% in the 4000-4800 rpm range

WOT Fuel 5k-7k
Allows user to adjust fuel +/- 20% in the 5000-7000 rpm range

Rev limiters

Rev Limiter in Drive
Allows user to adjust the rev limiter while in drive, adjustable up to 7000 rpms.

Rev Limiter in Neutral
Allows user to adjust the rev limiter while in park/neutral, adjustable up to 4000 rpms.

Idle Speed
Idle Speed in Drive AC off
Allows user to adjust the idle speed +/-400rpm in drive with the ac off.

Idle Speed in Drive AC on
Allows user to adjust the idle speed +/-400rpm in drive with the ac on.

Idle Speed in P/N AC off
Allows user to adjust the idle speed +/-400rpm in park/neutral with the ac off.

Idle Speed in P/N AC on
Allows user to adjust the idle speed +/-400rpm in park/neutral with the ac on.

Vehicle Speed Limiter

Allows user to adjust the vehicles speed limiter up to 190mph

Tire size adjustment

The Predator has two different ways to adjust for tire size.
First Method
Enter your original tire size then enter the new(actual) tire size.
The Predator will prompt you to put in your original tire size in metric format (ex. 265/75-17), once entered the Predator will then display your entry and you confirm it by pressing enter.
The Predator will then prompt you to put in the new (actual) tire size in metric format (ex.305/50-22), once entered the Predator will then display your entry and you confirm it by pressing enter.
You can now press esc to go back to the main modify parameter menu and if no more adjustments are desired press esc again and you will be asked to install modified tune, press yes and let Predator upload new adjusted tune to your vehicle.
To reset the tire size, you can go to reset parameters and then reinstall the tune.
Second Method
Enter the tire size or the overall tire height
The Predator will ask if you want to adjust it via entering the tire size or by the actual tire height.
Tire size, enter the metric tire size displayed on the side wall of the tire (ex.265/75-17) then press enter to confirm.
You can now press esc to go back to the main modify parameter menu and if no more adjustments are desired press esc again and you will be asked to install modified tune, press yes and let Predator upload new adjusted tune to your vehicle.
Tire height, measure the tire height using a tape measure and enter that measurement in the Predator, then press enter to confirm.
To reset the tire size, you can go to reset parameters and then reinstall the tune.

Quick Adjust parameters

Quick adjust parameters do not require a reflash to take effect, they require a key cycle, these parameters are available in a separate "Quick Adjust" menu item as well as in the modify parameters menu.
User will be asked to cycle key after each adjustment.

ESP mode
Enable or disable the ESP (traction control), NOTE: When disabled the ABS, ESP BAS and (Brake) lights will be illuminated and ABS will not be operational

Reset TCM adaptation
Resets the learned TCM adaptation(instead of pulling a fuse).

Shift Points
Raise shift points by a predefined setting, 5.7L's (1-2 5800rpm, 2-3 6000rpm, 3-4 6000rpm), 6.1L's (1-2 6400rpm, 2-3 6400rpm, 3-4 6400rpm).(N/A on Jeep)

Shift Firmness
Reduces torque management between shifts for a firmer shift , N/A on SRT8 vehicles.

Autostick auto upshift
Enable/Disable automatic upshift when in manual autostick mode, ie. raise your rev limits and you can shift manually at any rpm without the vehicle automatically upshifting (as it would do stock).(N/A on Jeep)

COPYRIGHT © 2012 DIABLOSPORT INC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

·
Premium Member
6,736 Posts
Man, that's good info right there. What people who have this can also do is post their specific custom tunes for the 3.6L with what mods they have, and their experience. That way novices whom may have similar setups can get an idea of what adjustments to make when they get their tunes. Just a thought.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I am using the 93 octane tune with my car. i have adjusted the tires a long with the WOT fuel 1k is at -1% 3k is at -3% and 5k is at -5%. also i have lowered the rev limiter while in drive to 6550 rpm because the stock tune puts it at 6800 and chrysler rated our engines only to 7200 rpm. I didn't notice a difference in acceleration in case anyone was wondering and that is all i have messed with on the tune I followed what people have been doing with just a CAI install because thats all i have. plus i dont know about the whole tuning thing until I came on here so thank you ChargerForumz and everyone here to making me love my car again because it was slow and unresponsive and if a tune didn't come out i would have traded in my car. and reps for this thread

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
RUN AT YOUR OWN RISK...I'm still testing this.
If you have experience with tuning EFI vehicles and you see something that doesnt look right or safe, please inform me. First my performance mods. Yes a catch can to me is a performance mod as it keeps the innards from gunking up and raising my octane requirements.

Aggressive tune for 2012 Dodge Charger SE

Custom DIY Ram Air intake system (front 4" inlet, closed box, 4" intake pipe)
Ported upper and lower intake manifold (cleaned up all the edges and flash imperfections)
Fastman 80mm ported throttle body(grounded too if you believe in that sort of thing)
Pulstar Iridium GG1i pulse plugs (they've made a difference in every whip I've put them in)
2.5" cat-back dual exhaust with DI/DO Magnaflow muffler, X-pipe, factory resonators
Big Bully Catch Can, and Chevron Techron fuel treatment every 4,000-6,000 miles

My 93 Octane tune adjustments

Make sure to datalog the following PIDs for at least a few sessions (more if youre paranoid like me) and be ready to retard timing if you detect knock retard (KNK Short Term Retard=short term knock retard, KNK Long Term Retard=long term knock retard). So far absolutely 0 STKR and 0 LTKR. Man I cant wait for shift firmness support, trust me it's going to friggin rock with the 8 speed guys.
Cooling Fans AC On|

MBT WOT Spark 1k-3.8k
+5 degrees
MBT WOT Spark 4k-4.8k
+5 degrees
MBT WOT Spark 5k-7k
+5 degrees

WOT Spark 1k-3.8k
+5 degrees
WOT Spark 4k-4.8k
+5 degrees
WOT Spark 5k-7k
+5 degrees

WOT Fuel 1k-3.8k
+3% (reads as -3% on the rich side due to software error)
WOT Fuel 4k-4.8k
WOT Fuel 5k-7k
_________
Rev limiters|

Rev Limiter in Drive

Rev Limiter in Neutral
+500 rpm (for cool sounding revs in park)(make sure that your engine is up to operating temp or past the idle down phase otherwise it will hold the rev longer than it should)
________
Idle Speed|
Tire size adjustment|
Adjusted for my tire size (215/65/17)

ESP mode
Default (DO NOT DISABLE IN INCLEMENT WEATHER)

·
Registered
149 Posts
RUN AT YOUR OWN RISK...For Blacktop Charger with 20's

My Mods are as follows:

Flowmaster Force 2 Delta 50's catback system with resonators.
Airaid CAI.
Airaid Poweraid Throttle body Spacer.

My 91 Octane tune adjustments

Cooling Fans AC On|

MBT WOT Spark 1k-3.8k
+1 degrees
MBT WOT Spark 4k-4.8k
+2degrees
MBT WOT Spark 5k-7k
+3degrees

WOT Spark 1k-3.8k
+1degrees
WOT Spark 4k-4.8k
+2 degrees
WOT Spark 5k-7k
+3 degrees

WOT Fuel 1k-3.8k
+1.5(reads as -2% on the rich side due to software error)
WOT Fuel 4k-4.8k
+2.5(reads as -2% on the rich side due to software error)
WOT Fuel 5k-7k
+3.5(reads as -2.5% on the rich side due to software error)
_________
Rev limiters|

Rev Limiter in Drive

Rev Limiter in Neutral
+500 rpm (for cool sounding revs in park)(make sure that your engine is up to operating temp or past the idle down phase otherwise it will hold the rev longer than it should)
________
Idle Speed|
Tire size adjustment|
Adjusted for my tire size

ESP mode
Default (DO NOT DISABLE IN INCLEMENT WEATHER)

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Updated my template, trying to nail down my optimal fuel levels. 1k-3.8k RPM seems to work better with a little added fuel though I have yet to observe knock. The other two ranges dont knock with no fuel added but it's a cool night versus a hot day so I'm just compensating for tomorrow.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Updated my template, trying to nail down my optimal fuel levels. 1k-3.8k RPM seems to work better with a little added fuel though I have yet to observe knock. The other two ranges dont knock with no fuel added but it's a cool night versus a hot day so I'm just compensating for tomorrow.
Those adjustments I made above seem to give me better mileage , also better response . It was fairly hot here San Diego today. Also did not experience any knock at all. I also brought the rpm down to 6400

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I would like to have everyone here that is tuned to monitor the following PID, KNK Total through datalogging and post it's numeric value. Mine is a 2 with the stock tune and the 93 octane diablo tune...

·
Registered
149 Posts
I would like to have everyone here that is tuned to monitor the following PID, KNK Total through datalogging and post it's numeric value. Mine is a 2 with the stock tune and the 93 octane diablo tune...
Roger that sir, I data logged yesterday and drove about 6 miles, today is not as warm as yesterday , I will data log today and tomorrow and post for consistency .

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Roger that sir, I data logged yesterday and drove about 6 miles, today is not as warm as yesterday , I will data log today and tomorrow and post for consistency .
I just need to know if it's only my car that registers 2 KNK total or if it's the tune. It also happens with the stock 87 tune running 93 pump gas so I am suspecting that it's the tune. I've asked Diablosport about this and am awaiting response.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Make sure from now on to datalog in the device, plug the device into a computer, let it boot up and connect to the computer, then use the DiabloSport DataViewer found here to open the log and review it. Seriously there were alot of events that were missed due to not showing on the device itself.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Make sure from now on to datalog in the device, plug the device into a computer, let it boot up and connect to the computer, then use the DiabloSport DataViewer found here to open the log and review it. Seriously there were alot of events that were missed due to not showing on the device itself.

So i downloaded the Dataviewer but i guess you have to have your laptop in the car and hookup, well am just waiting for my laptop to get fixed and shipped back from my brother in NYC so its gonna be a few more days until i can post my results. :sad:

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So i downloaded the Dataviewer but i guess you have to have your laptop in the car and hookup, well am just waiting for my laptop to get fixed and shipped back from my brother in NYC so its gonna be a few more days until i can post my results. :sad:
Not at all man, just plug the tool into the PC via USB, let it boot all the way up ( in tune drive shows up under my computer), then on data viewer, go to file> open log> in tune drive> logs and open a log. Then under data viewer on the left side, choose all the PIDs you want to view....

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The best way to find max safe timing is to revert fuel to default 0, focus on one rpm range at a time, increase advance by 1 degree at a time, log and watch for long term knock, or in my case more KNK ST retard than I'm comfortable with, then retard timing by 1 degree, move on to the next rpm range. By using this method, I was able to advance to 5 degrees advance in all three rpm ranges, and I then added 3% fuel as a safety measure against a hotter than normal day. The process really reminds me of overclocking. Don't do this if you aren't comfortable with accepting a level of risk, and remember 1 degree at a time, don't go crazy with it. I went to 6 degrees advance and backed it down by 1 degree because 5 degrees is my sweet spot, but results may vary.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The best way to find max safe timing is to revert fuel to default 0, focus on one rpm range at a time, increase advance by 1 degree at a time, log and watch for long term knock, or in my case more KNK ST retard than I'm comfortable with, then retard timing by 1 degree, move on to the next rpm range. By using this method, I was able to advance to 5 degrees advance in all three rpm ranges, and I then added 3% fuel as a safety measure against a hotter than normal day. The process really reminds me of overclocking. Don't do this if you aren't comfortable with accepting a level of risk, and remember 1 degree at a time, don't go crazy with it. I went to 6 degrees advance and backed it down by 1 degree because 5 degrees is my sweet spot, but results may vary.

So i got it to playback, and i saw at only one instance that the KNK ST went to 0.5 really quick is that a good or a bad thing?

I copied the screen and attached it so you can see.

Attachments

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So i got it to playback, and i saw at only one instance that the KNK ST went to 0.5 really quick is that a good or a bad thing?

I copied the screen and attached it so you can see.
That is from what what I have read and heard an acceptable level of st, and it could be false knock. I was told to not worry about st knk events, just to focus on Lt events so that sounds about right.

·
Registered
149 Posts
That is from what what I have read and heard an acceptable level of st, and it could be false knock. I was told to not worry about st knk events, just to focus on Lt events so that sounds about right.

So I can go up on the MBT/WOT Spark percent? Also would I have to up the WOT fuel percentage?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I can go up on the MBT/WOT Spark percent? Also would I have to up the WOT fuel percentage?
You can continue if you so desire, but don't add any fuel until after you find your top degree of timing with no fuel added. Stability is what youre looking for, and I forgot to mention that since your changing wot settings make sure in your runs that you have at least a couple of wot events. You don't want to add fuel unless you have to or for me since my advance is a little aggressive, as a safety cushion. My last run, @ 6 degrees of advance, had three KNK ST Retard events with 0 KNK LT Retard events, but that let me know that dropping 1 degree was my safe high mark.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What do you guys have your throttle booster set to?!
I have mine set to +20% and along with the ported tb, throttle lag has gone down to around 5% of what it used to be.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts