Dodge Charger Forum banner

Advice 2018-2019 buying/timing R/T or Scat

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Nuwanda 
#1 ·
Hey everyone so this is the year I am moving from my SS Trailblazer to Charger. The trailblazer is fun but ready for a car and have fell in love with dodge chargers. I have been looking at 2018-2019 R/T or Scatpack. I have looked back at a lot of discussions so hoping to get some other answers that have not already been discussed. This is going to be my daily driver and looking to spend anywhere from 30k-40K. I like having something with some speed but nothing crazy like SRT.

Curious when is going to be the best time to hit the dealership? I am willing to wait until end of year if that is best time they are trying to get models off the lot.

I have looked at the different packages and know I want the "Plus Group", "Technology Group", and audio package. I don't really see a point in the navigation package because we use our phones. Not sure if I can get all of that in 30k-40k range even. I have seen some videos of first thing when buy the car is upgrade rim/tires to wider size. (255 or 275). Is that something I can talk the dealership into doing so I don't have to try and sell the old wheels? I live in a smaller town so makes it difficult for that sort of thing.

What kind of different cost difference will I see in the R/T vs Scatpack? Example oil changes, take different gas octane?

I am not looking to do any modifications just looking to something to turn heads by engine sound, and some speed now and then. Just looking for advice and hopefully have given you enough to go on. Really appreciate it!

See less See more
#5 ·
The R/T has the 345ci 5.7L V8 rated at about 370 HP/395 TQ at the crank and the Scat Pack has the 6.4L 392 SRT V8 rated at about 485 HP/475 TQ at the crank, and has upgraded features over the base R/T like 4 piston Brembo brakes, better exhuast, etc....

From what I was reading in your orig post, seems you would be fine with an R/T...but if it's power you seek, get the Scat w/the SRT...ultimately it's your choice and has to fit your specific needs....

#6 ·
I love my RT, but I want a Scat. When I have a Scat, I'll want a 'Cat. And so it'll go. So, if you love speed at all, I'd advise skipping a step and just getting the Scat. Nobody ever says "Man, I wish I'd gotten a slower one." ;)As far as cost of ownership (over 5 years, for instance), I don't believe it would be a deal-breaker, but you can Google those costs to know for sure. My 2 coppers.

Reactions: MadMaxx
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.