Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( Hey folks!
I’ve got a 2015 R/T with 48,000 on her and lately when at idle I can feel the A/C slowly starting to get warmer. Now being that’s it been in the 100’s in Houston the last 3 months I thought maybe it’s a normal thing. But sitting in my wife’s Lexes yesterday we were stopped in traffic for a half hour and her A/C never faltered once. It stayed cold as ice. So can someone please tell me what I’m looking at here? Major repair or not? The car is kept undercover and not driven hard and I’ve never ran over anything that could’ve been thrown up in the fans.
Oh yeah, when I give it gas and start driving it’s just fine, nice and cool and the gang!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
You didn't indicate the engine temp was too high so I'm going to assume engine temp was normal & it was just the AC system that was under performing. The problem could be something else if the AC performance drops off as the engine temp climbs above normal operating temps.
You need to have a AC test station test the AC system pressures (low side & high side) to see if they're normal. Abnormal low side or high side pressures help diagnose any AC system problems.
One thing you can do to help keep cool when sitting at idle is to put the AC in recirculation mode. This recirculates the air in the car rather than pulling in hot humid outside air.
With the system in the recirculation mode, only air from the passenger compartment passes through the AC evaporator. As the passenger compartment air dehumidifies, the AC system performance level increases.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
When you put it on max air, the recirculation comes on automatically and the fan speed increases. You can see the recirc light come on in your dash by the radio. If it’s not doing that, you need to replace the humidity sensor (in the black box on the inside windshield next to the rear view mirror).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts