Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Dodge Charger R/T with the hemi. About 3 days ago, it was raining heavy day and I had to drive through the puddle of water (I was drive slowley and ground water was splashing above the hood). When I reached dry land I kept hearing a noise like water was stuck somewhere in the driver side dashboard. (I heard it every time I pushed on the gas)
(Just to mention I was driving with the defogger on)

Now every time I start the car up, it makes the same noise (sloosh). Ive been seaching for hours on google and came to slight conclusion that it might be air in the coolant system or radiator.

I will like to know how to properly bleed the air because Im going on a road trip soon. thank you

·
Banned
134 Posts
check the coolant level,
if its low try adding some.

the best way to burp air out is:

go outside and start the car...
let it get up to temperature while sitting in the driveway..
(this is the fun part)
goto the coolant tank and loosen the cap,
you should hear air escaping.

if you got a LOT of air in, the coolant will superheat and could boil, this can be dangerous when you open the lid

if its boiling, you want to let it cool some before you try to burp the system again.

you want to burp the air right out of the coolant cap, and you should also notice your car running cooler when you get all the air out.

just be careful not to get burned, but its pretty straight forward

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Atfer sitting outside for 30minutes, I have accomplished nothing. I really dont know that much about insides of a car. I couldnt locate the bleed valve on top of the water pump. (I dont even know what the water pump looks like). If someone can post at picture of the valve it would really help.

The coolant is at the cold minimum. Ill add more, start the car up, wait and see what happens.

Thank you all for the replys

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Atfer sitting outside for 30minutes, I have accomplished nothing. I really dont know that much about insides of a car. I couldnt locate the bleed valve on top of the water pump. (I dont even know what the water pump looks like). If someone can post at picture of the valve it would really help.

The coolant is at the cold minimum. Ill add more, start the car up, wait and see what happens.

Thank you all for the replys
If that's the case, stay away from the bleeder valve.

Fill it up half way between the Min and Max....

Turn the heat all the way up and blast the defrost. If it blows hot, then you probably don't have anything to worry about.

·
Banned
134 Posts
i wouldnt mess with a bleed valve or whatever..
look at what i said---

the coolant cap has 2 functions... fill and bleed.

if you loosen it, the cap will stay attached.. kinda like a persciption bottle... but it will bleed out air/coolant if it boils

if you push down and turn it, then it will come all the way off....

let your car get up to temp and loosen this cap, you should hear air escaping

Turn the heat all the way up and blast the defrost. If it blows hot, then you probably don't have anything to worry about.
good point elC-
if there is air in there, the coolant wont make it to the heating coil and you wont get any hot air....

when i had air in my system tho, my car did exactly what you were talking about... making a noise in the dash.

all i did was the method i mentioned, bleeding out the air thru the coolant cap with the car running up to temp

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
If she hasn't had the coolant flushed recently, I really doubt there's a problem with the coolant system here, aside from maybe being at the minimum level.. Specially since the problem started with rain and driving through water.

I might recommend checking the air filter, though..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did what Lateralus said. Only seen little bubbles rise to the top and as the car was heating up the coolant level was rising also. (it came a inch and a half to the opening.. Do you think it may overflow if i were to drive?) Heater was blowing hot air.

Very confused right now. But I have to see if it's still making the noise on the next start up.

·
Banned
134 Posts
it wont overflow,
you have an overflow tank just incase that were to happen but i wouldnt worry.

just dont drive it without re-sealing the cap.

it never hurts to go and loosen the cap slightly and make see if you can bleed some air out.

if there is air in the block, and you bleed some out, youre coolant level will go down.
if youre coolant level has gone up since you last looked before this issue started, it is also a good sign of coolant int he block.

persistance is the best way to make sure you get all the air out, even when you think its all out, there can still be a few bubbles hiding some where, and a short drive and another burp session can take care of it.

if youre getting hot air tho, and you can seem to burp the anymore air out, you may want to start looking else where,

but like i said, that noise behind the dash is EXACTLY what i had when i had air in my block from replacing a radiator hose.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I never had to add coolant. the coolant level was always at the cold minimum. Before letting it bleed, I added coolant and distilled water half way from the cold max and minimum.

Well I havent heard it since, but as for how the air got in, thats a mystery.

One more question. (Didnt want to get off topic) But im curious. What is the normal temperature? I could drive for more than 10 minutes and the temperature will stay like 1 centimeter below the middle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts