Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post and I’m also a first time dodge owner! Today I started my 2010 Charger SXT for 10 min to remove the frost build up and after driving for a few minutes I switched the heater to face and feet and nothing happened! It stayed on defrost... Any help would be appreciated! I don’t have much money so I’ll be trying out your suggestions myself and I’m also not a “PRO” I’ve only done small repairs on vehicles like, brakes, oil, topped off fluids, Etc!

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
The HVAC system in the Dodge Charger is a blend-air type system. In a blend air system, blend-air doors control the air flow. On the driver side, there's a blend door and a mode door. The blend door blends hot/cold air to match the temperature setting of the HVAC control. The mode door directs the air to the floor, defrost/demist and instrument panel vents/outlets.
The problem could be the mode door is stuck or the mode door actuator is not moving the door. Typically it's the actuator. The actuator is also a lot easier to replace than the door. The actuator is located under the dash.

The first illustration is a close-up of an actuator. The second illustration shows the mode door actuator mounted under the dash. The mode door actuator is located on the driver side end of the air distribution housing.

All the YouTube videos are about the blend door actuator. It seems to be most common to go bad ... plus it typically makes an annoying clicking noise when it goes bad. The following YouTube video is replacing the blend door actuator, but it also points to the mode door actuator, it's the lower actuator (easier to access actuator) that's not being replaced in the video.

upload_2019-10-2_23-16-6.png

upload_2019-10-2_23-17-39.png

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The HVAC system in the Dodge Charger is a blend-air type system. In a blend air system, blend-air doors control the air flow. On the driver side, there's a blend door and a mode door. The blend door blends hot/cold air to match the temperature setting of the HVAC control. The mode door directs the air to the floor, defrost/demist and instrument panel vents/outlets.
The problem could be the mode door is stuck or the mode door actuator is not moving the door. Typically it's the actuator. The actuator is also a lot easier to replace than the door. The actuator is located under the dash.

The first illustration is a close-up of an actuator. The second illustration shows the mode door actuator mounted under the dash. The mode door actuator is located on the driver side end of the air distribution housing.

All the YouTube videos are about the blend door actuator. It seems to be most common to go bad ... plus it typically makes an annoying clicking noise when it goes bad. The following YouTube video is replacing the blend door actuator, but it also points to the mode door actuator, it's the lower actuator (easier to access actuator) that's not being replaced in the video.

View attachment 94116

View attachment 94118

Thanks djalbin! It’s a start and I hope this is the issue, doesn’t seem too difficult...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts