Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my buddy and I about 30 hours to do everything. New stock camshaft and lifters. On a drive from Tucson to Phoenix I was able to average about 25mpg going 70mpg. Average of about 15mpg or so in the city. Seems like gas mileage is more or less the same when deleting the MDS system (8 to 4 cylinder system.)

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
That's the MPG I experience and I have MDS disabled (5.7L). It probably varies depending on the type of driving you do but I didn't notice any significant loss of MPG when I disabled MDS ... maybe 1 MPG difference.

P.S.
I'm surprised you didn't get run over doing only 70 MPH between Tucson & Phoenix.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That's the MPG I experience and I have MDS disabled (5.7L). It probably varies depending on the type of driving you do but I didn't notice any significant loss of MPG when I disabled MDS ... maybe 1 MPG difference.

P.S.
I'm surprised you didn't get run over doing only 70 MPH between Tucson & Phoenix.
is it easy to disable the MDS? my doesn't have that but im curious thanks

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
You can disable MDS by driving with the transmission in AutoStick mode (shifting manually rather than in full automatic "D" mode). Some of the newer model years will disable MDS when the car is in Sport Mode, Track Mode, etc ... it varies by model year. You can also disable MDS using a DiabloSport tuner (programmer). The DiabloSport will cost you $$$ but if you're going to use other features of the tuner then it could be worth it.

https://www.diablosport.com/

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My kit came with the DiabloSport Predator 2 tuner. I shut off the MDS so there would be no check engine lights, removed the speed limiter, and chose the 87 tune. With the 87 tune I notice a little bit less horsepower which I’m fine with because I’m using it as a work vehicle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Same here ^^^ accept the motor won't turn over and now it's asking for the anti theft code.

Where the hell do i find that ?

Or should I reinstall the tune. I couldn't find the 87 so did the 91.

Why cant they just list them all on one or two pages ?

Is there a way to crank the engine to get oil pressure b4 running it ?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I assume the anti-theft code it's asking for is the Radio Frequency Hub Module (RFHM ... also known as the RF Hub) 4-digit code. This PIN number may be obtained from the original vehicle invoice or from the Chrysler Customer Center.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Called Diablo, emailed a UPS over night shipping label, sent PCM to them, came back on day 3. All is well with that.

I'm thinking what ever happened it locked the computer. Only way I know of unlocking it is sending it to them with the tuner.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I disagree. I see an immediate difference in mpg between the two. On a 1000 mile round trip I drove one way with and without MDS and I had to add a fuel stop to make it with it disabled and the math calculated 17% and I was not taking it easy.
I experimented in other ways also, one in comparing the recovery of the average mileage after romping it and with MDS it recovers noticeably quicker.

I use HPTuners to disable it.

I run a Corsa exhaust and the low speed MDS hum was a disappointment but its really light and a little radio cancels it. I remedied this by changing the minimum speed for MDS activation from 9mph to 20mph.

The best savings are between 45 and 75mph and would have liked to set the minimum to 40 but MOPAR has the activation minimum setting locked to 20. They allow this so dealerships can bump it up for the trucks that install larger tires causing them to lug the engine down at the lower speeds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts