Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I know most of you already know, but when I was researching this topic before the install I was still seeing some conflicting information. I just wanted to come on here and confirm that a 3.09 LSD rear differiential is a direct swap for those that are looking to get rid of the 2.62 open diff in their base trim R/T Chargers. I paid $885 for mine but did notice that some of the listing on Ebay are starting to go up to $1300. If you have been on the fence about doing this install I would move on it soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not 100% sure on the sxt sense it is a v6. The part number for the 3.09 lsd is 68269917AG. If you can look up your cars build sheet and if it says 2.62 rear differential then I'm pretty sure it would be the same and the 3.09 should bolt up.

·
Registered
62 Posts
After the install, did you have to reflash the PCM because of the new ratio? I've read that the transmission shift points get screwed up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you do it yourself? If so, was it hard?
Yes I did it myself. Hardest part was keeping the diffs stable on the jack. Overall pretty straight forward. Put car up on Jack's, remove exhaust, unbolt driveshaft, unbolt diff, drop down diff with jack and pop out CV axles. Reverse order for install.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After the install, did you have to reflash the PCM because of the new ratio? I've read that the transmission shift points get screwed up.
Not on this one. I've driven 300 miles so far no issues. I think you might be referring to another member that installed a 3.90 rear end which came in the 6 speed manual. For a A8 car 3.90 is too much.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did the 3.09 LSD install on my 18 R/T and it’s a direct bolt in .
Speedo reads off front wheel so no programming needed .Rock Auto has the 3.09 for 710.00
That's a great price. Is that before or after shipping? I just noticed that the same diffs I was looking at a few months ago were around the 8-900 mark and now they're selling for around 13-1400.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello fellow Charger owners. Just giving a update on the 3.09 swap. I now have over 1k miles on the swap with zero issues. Here are some pics of the Mark's I left on the pavement. The single one in the middle was when I had the 2.62 open diff in.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
I installed the 3.70 diff in mine and it's the best bang for the buck in my book. Congrats on your new diff. Two wheels spinning is way better than one. Honestly, it's pathetic that Dodge put the 2.62 open diff in our cars from the factory

·
Registered
8,010 Posts
So with all this being said what’s the best option for rear differential on the 2015+ 5.7L models?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I hear you there. How does your trans shift with that 3.70?
Here are my notes after I installed the 3.70 gears, but before the final trans tune:

UPDATE: A few comments after a few days of driving with the new gears.
1) I noticed immediately my car goes into 8th gear at 37 mph(if driving like a granny). With my old 2.62's I wouldn't see 8th until 62mph or higher.
2) 1st gear is pretty much worthless.....shifts around 11 mph in light driving style.
3) The MDS kicks in much more frequently.
4) I no longer enjoy my bullets because of the drone (because MDS kicks in while in 8th gear while I'm driving around 60 mph). If I push the shifter over to manual to kick it out of MDS, the sound is acceptable.
5) I haven't taken any long trips yet, so I can't comment on any change in gas mileage, but I'm guessing it probably went down a little, but maybe the MDS kicking in so frequently will counter that....to be continued.
6) I noticed downshifts by the tranny while slowing to a stop are harsh. I contacted Hemifever and bought his TCM (tranny tune) for $75 and it has helped with this. I also have to say I've never broken the rear tires loose during a shift into 2nd gear before his tune. This is just the initial tranny tune, he is going to tweak it more after I send him data logs.
7) You can feel your back pushing hard into the seat now when you go WOT. Quite a bit more than the old 2.62 gears.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just to be clear, the Hemifever trans tune corrected all my complaints and issues above. It does shift into 8th pretty early still, but it's like 47mph. Also, by going into 8th gear so early, my mileage has not changed at all. I average 24 mpg back and forth to work, with a 60/40 mix of highway and city driving. I haven't taken any long road trips yet, but I'd venture to say it's probably no change based on what I've seen so far.

Best mod ever....IMO

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would have to agree. Anything with LSD is way better. If you dont want to worry about trans tuning then I would probably go no higher then the 3.09. I chose the 3.09 because it's still covered under warranty and I didn't want to worry about tuning my PCM/TCM and get denied a warranty claim if I ever needed it. Either way going with any LSD is going to be a better choice. The 3.09 drives like it was meant to be in there. No change in mpg's, and my exhaust sounds the same (mid muffler delete). If your on the fence about it just do it you will be grinning ear to ear. I know I am.

·
Registered
429 Posts
With the 3.09 and cruising on the highway in 8th gear, do the RPMs stay just under 1.5 like with the 2.62?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts