Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm now stationed in Joint Base Lewis-McCord near Tacoma, Washington and I know the winters, as is most of the year are a little "moist," so I need some good wet tires.

I want to go with 245/45/R20 or wider (if possible), here's what I'm thinking:

Toyo Proxes 4
Hankook Ventus Evo K110
Yokohama Parada Spec X
Nitto Invo/420

Any others I should throw in that mix (Jontoad :D)?

Can anyone give me some definitive comparisons between the tires i.e. pros, cons, etc?

I'm leaning towards the Hankooks because of load and speed ratings.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I've heard very good stuff about the Yokohamas for their traction in poor conditions. I am in the same situation but my issue is snow. I was looking at the Goodyear GT's in 225/60R18's. I can't go crazy with tires, so it's pretty much going to have to be an all-season.

That or the Firestone Destination ST's in the same size.

I think you have a very good selection of tires for consideration.:)

·
400 cubes of Goodness!!!
10,995 Posts
I often use the Tire Rack reviews to get a little insight on individual tires. They list the vehicles the tires are on, how many miles are on the tires at the point of review and what type of driving.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I would suggest Yokohama AVID Envigors.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Ive Heard good things about the Yoko Spec X when I bought my 22s they were just made available, however I scored a killer price on my set of Toyo P4s and they do have very good traction in wet weather, very happy with my purchase.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone want to comment on going wider?

I'm presently using my stock 20" Chrome clads with 245/45/R20s, what can I go to get wider rubber on the road?

·
Registered
108 Posts
If you decide to go wider, go with the 275 Vredesteins on all 4 corners....NYC_STR8 was running past Z06 vettes at the thunderbolt track day that was in the rain with complete confidence in those tires, they are also one of the best performing dry tires you can get for the money

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so I found: 245/45/R20=9.64" wide

275/40/R20=10.82" which is 1.18" wider, diameter difference is -.07%, which is .068% too fast

265/40/R20=10.43" which is .79" wider, diameter difference is -.19%, which is 1.199% too fast

255/45/R20=10.03" which is .39" wider, diameter difference is +1.21%, which is 1.214% too slow

I can, of course, adjust these sizes to the car with my Predator, but I want to know if the 275s or 265s will fit on the stock Chrome Clads?

And who makes these particular sizes?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Considering guys are now putting 295s on stock RT wheels, I think youll be ok with 275s, my money would be for the Vredesteins in 275/40

·
Registered
663 Posts
275/40R20 will fit on 9 to 11" rim
265/40R20 will fit on 9 to 10.5" rim
255/45R20 will fit on 8 to 9.5" rim
245/45R20 will fit on 7.5 to 9" rim (stock tire size)
I can't confirm what the actual width is for the stock Chrome Clad wheel. I know 9.64" was stated, but I can't verify that.

For the record 295/45R20 will fit 9.5" to 11" rim.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I can't confirm what the actual width is for the stock Chrome Clad wheel. I know 9.64" was stated, but I can't verify that.
20" Chrome Clads from a Plum Crazy Daytona.

If I am measuring at the correct point, they are 8". That is the inside width at the widest point. If you measure the outside width, it is 9"; each lip is 0.5".

·
Registered
663 Posts
The measurement is indeed inside to inside. So 8" would be the correct measurment.

This would also mean that a 295/45R20 would be an issue mounting it on the stock rim, if the R/T rim is the same width as the Chrome clad Daytona wheels. I am not saying a tire place won't do it, but they would be liable if anything were to happen. Jontoad will be a good source for that information.

·
Registered
108 Posts
well....true as that may be to manufacturer specs, but there are plenty of pics now with guy that have 295s on the stock 18"x7.5" rims, yes they may be ballooned a bit, but they have been tested a bit already

·
Registered
513 Posts
well....true as that may be to manufacturer specs, but there are plenty of pics now with guy that have 295s on the stock 18"x7.5" rims, yes they may be ballooned a bit, but they have been tested a bit already
It's also potentially unsafe, and since you are squeezing such a wide tire on a narrow wheel, and you aren't going to see the performance of a 295 because your pulling the tire shoulders away from the contact patch and to the center.

So unless the 295's are just for looks (which is weak IMHO), don't go that wide on an 8" wheel, all you are doing is paying more for a tire that you aren't using to it's correct potential and possibly putting yourself in harms way.

·
PLS EMAIL INSTEAD OF PM
1,649 Posts
Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta 275s all around. Kick ass in wet and equally superb in dry. Not great in snow but if you're south of MD etc then you're golden.

EDIT this would be for SRT sized wheels

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
for wet/slush i would say the paradas are your best bet. they are a true all season. the proxy4 would be behind that but i wouldn't choose it over the yoko. the hankooks i don't much like as my customers have had some odd issues with them throwing chunks of tread out on hot dry days in spirited driving. i have had to send back a couple sets of those to hankook for them to inspect...

while the Verds are good in wet. they are not good in cold wet. they harden up in colder temps since they are a 200 tread wear rating 3 season compound tire. (same goes for the nitto invo)

like toxie said stay 275 or under or you will have worse contact patch than a 245 or 275 due to pinching the tire and crowning it. personally i would stay with 245/45/20 or 255/45/20 all around if your using the factory wheels so you can rotate for longer tire life. you could use the 275 in the rear if you want though but remember wider is not better in snow...

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
^^^^^^^^

and the man, the myth, the legend finally weighs in on this. Thanks a bunch Jontoad, I'll keep an eye out on pricing on the Toyos and Yokohamas.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Let me just throw out my opinion of my Toyo Proxies 4. I have 275/40/20 on all four corners on my SRT and they suck. I say this because I can't get them to stick for crap. Hell, my son's bicycle tires stick better than these do. ANY time I step hard on the gas the rears brake loose... even if I'm already rolling. Several times, I have thrown it into limp mode because they just can't hold the road, hot or cold.
These tires only have about 8k miles on them so they aren't worn by any stretch of the imagination.
I can tell you, I won't be getting another set of these. If they can't handle the 400WHP they damned sure won't be able to handle any more upgrades.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I wasnt saying he should put 295s on his 8" wheel, I actually suggested the 275 Vreds or Yokos, I was just responding to his question of the 275s fitting saying yes, and I pointed out that guys are putting 295s on 7.5" (again, in no way did I recommend he do this).

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Let me just throw out my opinion of my Toyo Proxies 4. I have 275/40/20 on all four corners on my SRT and they suck. I say this because I can't get them to stick for crap. Hell, my son's bicycle tires stick better than these do. ANY time I step hard on the gas the rears brake loose... even if I'm already rolling. Several times, I have thrown it into limp mode because they just can't hold the road, hot or cold.
These tires only have about 8k miles on them so they aren't worn by any stretch of the imagination.
I can tell you, I won't be getting another set of these. If they can't handle the 400WHP they damned sure won't be able to handle any more upgrades.
i have the 275/40/20 proxy 4's on the back of my Dakota R/T. i agree. they are not the best in the rain. thats why i would go with the yoko's instead like i said.

there are not a lot of cold weather/wet weather tires that are good in our 20 inch sizes.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts