Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished installing a new Pioneer radio with navigation in my 2008 Charger and almost all functions work great. The GPS is great and the XM radio works great. AM and FM reception not so great. I used the recommended antenna adapter to plug in the existing AM/FM antenna into the Pioneer.

It is like I have no antenna. I temporaraly reinstalled the factory radio and the antenna works fine. When I use the adapter to plug it into the new Pioneer radio there are no AM stations and only two or three FM stations. I should be receiving hundreds of FM stations.

The existing antenna plugs into the addapter and the plug fit is good and solid. The other end of the adapter fits snuggly into the radio but the signal is very poor to none.

Any ideas?

·
Brick killed a guy!
1,292 Posts
Doesn't happen often but could be a bad adaptor or the radio itself could have the issue, that does happen more than some think.

Big Ed

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
A friend suggested that I connect the blue power antenna wire from the interface. Does that sound right. Is there an antenna amplifier or booster that needs power in my 2008 Charger?

The radio I installed is the Pioneer AVIC-U310BT. So far I really like it. I am not missing the FM or AM very much because the XM Satellite radio works great with all the programming I need however it bothers me to know that the AM/FM is not working

·
Registered
22 Posts
i am having the same exact problem i have a pioneer radio and a adaptor and I'm not getting any good signal on am or fm:eek:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Take this for what it's worth because I have no idea about your specific item.

The in-glass antenna on Fords rocks, unless there is a break in any part of the rear window heater grid. If there is the smallest break in the grid you can only pick up FM stations within about 5 miles or so and no AM stations at all.

This happened to me after I put in a new radio and it about drove me nuts because when I put the stock radio back in the poor reception still was happening.

Turns out I scratched the grid on the back window one of the times I was cleaning it.

Got one of those rear window defroster repair kits that looks like a small bottle of fingernail polish and repaired the break.

*Poof* I was picking up everything within about 75-80 miles again.

May or may not be something that works on this setup but that was an obscure fix for another antenna-in-window type. Take a close look at your defroster grid and make sure all the lines go all the way across. It's easy to tell on a hard frost morning.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts