Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i really would like the extra gears for better efficiency and acceleration. Has anyone done such a swap, Any possible limitations or problems? How much would this cost about?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
The reason it hasn't been done is because there's not enough room in the tunnel to fit the 8-speed. You would have to cut the floor pan out and replace with one from a newer car or build a new tunnel to fit the 8-speed. That would be the first hurdle to get over, then the shifter and electronics and programming would be the next one.

Reactions: mofogo

·
Registered
781 Posts
In the long run it very likely would be cheaper (and a LOT LESS work) to trade up to a newer year model WITH the 8 speed already factory installed. Plus other us-grades that were not available on your current ride.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In the long run it very likely would be cheaper (and a LOT LESS work) to trade up to a newer year model WITH the 8 speed already factory installed. Plus other us-grades that were not available on your current ride.
Im Leslie just gathering information now I don't even have a car. Be reason I am interested in the pursuit is because it has AWD. I live in a snowy part of the United States so I find that it would be useful. I find the older design quite ugly but the newer design is quite sexy to me.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Have seen both sides of the argument on the floor pan clearance; no one has clearly demonstrated one way or the other. Discounting that, it will cost the price of a transmission, electronic shifter and $1000 adapter harness (plus if any HP tuners tuning is required to tailor it to your combo). You will just need to sort out adaptation the transfer case and any possible driveshaft length differences.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im Leslie just gathering information now I don't even have a car. Be reason I am interested in the pursuit is because it has AWD. I live in a snowy part of the United States so I find that it would be useful. I find the older design quite ugly but the newer design is quite sexy to me.
I know how you feel. I had a 2008 AWD V6 Charger for 9 years, traded for a 2015 AWD V6 Charger. Thought I would like the engine of the 3.6 better than the 3.5 but I didn't really. In reality, I wanted a 5.7 Hemi with AWD, because of where I lived. I had the chance to trade for a 2014 AWD 5.7 Hemi Charger, but I didn't like taking a step back with the EVIC, and I didn't want to deal with the clunky 5 speed transmission. So, I got rid of my 2015 AWD V6 Charger for a 2016 Dodge Durango AWD 5.7 Hemi AND the 8 speed transmission. Not near as fast as a 5.7 Hemi Charger, but still feels better than a V6 Charger.

As it turns out, the Durango is in 4th gear when you hit 60 MPH anyway (with moderate normal acceleration), so I don't know why the 8 speed is considered more "efficient" when you're not using 8 speeds to get up to speed. :)

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
As it turns out, the Durango is in 4th gear when you hit 60 MPH anyway (with moderate normal acceleration), so I don't know why the 8 speed is considered more "efficient" when you're not using 8 speeds to get up to speed. :)
That is probably because of your gearing, I imagine it's a lower (higher numerical) than a car would have; it is more efficient in the fact that it isn't nearly as much of an rpm drop during acceleration. Durango in 4th gear at that point hasn't even made to high gear (1:1, which in the ZF is 6th) yet. Also more efficient fuel economy wise than the NAG since it has two OD gears instead of just one. That's how they were able to pull off an EPA rated 22mpg highway with 2.65 gears in a Hellcat Challenger.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rebooting this thread a little, I've seen in numerous places including an Offical Chrystler report that the new 2020 Pursuits are going to have an 8 Spd trans so Now that its an official Chrsytler thing how expensive would it be if I were to sell the % speed and buy a new 8 speed with the new floor plan? I sound like Mad bread but it will probably be less than an All-new 2020 pursuit

1 - 10 of 10 Posts