Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was installing new valve cover on my car and when I put the existing gasket on my new valve cover they has some extra length to them, so I had so trim come extra gasket so it would fit. Is it safe to do that?

Another question, does anybody know the torque specs to the valve covers?

·
Registered
14,772 Posts
I was installing new valve cover on my car and when I put the existing gasket on my new valve cover they has some extra length to them, so I had so trim come extra gasket so it would fit. Is it safe to do that?

Another question, does anybody know the torque specs to the valve covers?
Haven't had to trim anything off of the gaskets, If I remember right it's 15 inch pounds of TQ.

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think im just going to order a new gasket set tomorrow, then attemp it again.
Can anybody verify the torque specs for the valve covers? In ft lbs possibly

·
9 Second Club
32,307 Posts
Extra length ? I dont know why you would have that:4-dontknow:

To be honest, I don't remember their being a TQ spec.... I have pulled my valve covers off a few times and put them back on torquing them down to what felt right.......

of course, I ran the car for a bit and confirmed there was no oil leaks before operating

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, can anybody give me any tips on getting to the two back passenger-side bolts?

·
9 Second Club
32,307 Posts
Ok, can anybody give me any tips on getting to the two back passenger-side bolts?

Patience:D

Sorry bro, not trying to be a smart ass but its tough...... I have fat hands which does make it hard to get back in there.......

I made several trips to Sears and bought swivel accessories for my ratchet in order to get in there.......

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the fat hands as well. I guess Ill have to get some swivels for my wrench.
Ill have to wait until monday to get the new gasket.
Do you knwo if you can get a new set of the valve cover bolts from advanced auto parts?

·
9 Second Club
32,307 Posts
I have the fat hands as well. I guess Ill have to get some swivels for my wrench.
Ill have to wait until monday to get the new gasket.
Do you knwo if you can get a new set of the valve cover bolts from advanced auto parts?

that I do not know.......

Besides swivel accessories, you might also want to purchase on of those Flex Ratchet extensions too..........

that came in real handy:TU:

Reactions: KwChico305

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Flex ratchet extension? Will do. Thanks a lot.

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think im going to stick with the old valve cover bolts.. a new set is around 70 bucks.

·
9 Second Club
32,307 Posts
Flex ratchet extension? Will do. Thanks a lot.
Yes sir.... I bought one with was about 6" long for a 1/4" driver........... you will be thanking God you have one:D

I think im going to stick with the old valve cover bolts.. a new set is around 70 bucks.

Holy Cow :O I better thank Lisa @ Speedlogix...... I misplaced a few and they just gave me some........

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Man I sure hope all of this fixes my problems, i started the engine and smoke comes out of the top of the heads. I hope this doenst hurt the engine, I didnt have it started too long. Some oil came out also and made a small puddle on the floor.
The passenger side has way more smoke coming out than the driver as well as oil.
Its probably because I couldnt even put on the last bolt in the corner!

After all is done(Monday), I will post some pictures.

·
9 Second Club
32,307 Posts
Man I sure hope all of this fixes my problems, i started the engine and smoke comes out of the top of the heads. I hope this doenst hurt the engine, I didnt have it started too long. Some oil came out also and made a small puddle on the floor.
The passenger side has way more smoke coming out than the driver as well as oil.
Its probably because I couldnt even put on the last bolt in the corner!

After all is done(Monday), I will post some pictures.

yeah, even a bolt that is not tight could leak oil....... Just be very careful when doing this, the gaskets are somewhat fragile and really need to have a good seating before you torque them down....

BTW, why were you changing the Valve Covers ? Did you get Billet ones or just replacing them with new factory sets ?

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:TU:MOROSO billet valve covers and MSD coil packs duuuuddeeee

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is there any sealer or some type of liquid or something to put on the gaskets before installation? Is it reccomended?

·
9 Second Club
32,307 Posts
Is there any sealer or some type of liquid or something to put on the gaskets before installation? Is it reccomended?

Not that I am aware of .......... In a bind I did use a high temp silicone as an intake gasket:D it worked like a champ....... maybe you could use a dab to keep the gasket in place .........

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I guess ill keep it dry!
Well thats it for me tonight, talk to you guys tomorrow.

·
9 Second Club
32,307 Posts
Keep us posted on how it goes......

I hope its easier this time around

·
Registered
151 Posts
Haven't had to trim anything off of the gaskets, If I remember right it's 15 inch pounds of TQ.
Torque is 70 INCH lbs

I think im just going to order a new gasket set tomorrow, then attemp it again.
Can anybody verify the torque specs for the valve covers? In ft lbs possibly
roughly 6 ft lbs good luck on torque wrench going that low ..lol

1/4 drive rachet , one or multiple 1/4 extensions to reach roughly from back bolt to strut tower 1/4 drive swivel and either shallow or med well socket ( 8mm if i remember correctly ) make sure you duct tape everything together extensions and socket. from the top go behind the strut tower and harness till u see the socket come out near valve cover and with the swivel already on you should be able to manipulate the socket onto the bolt...I know its a PIA , as far as the closet one you should be able to use 1/4 racthet and shallow socket maybe a 1/4 inch extension

Bill

1 - 20 of 45 Posts