Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm new to the boards but have been lurking awhile keeping up to date on what can happen to my baby - '07 Charger. My baby is down, down, down....engine is gone after 1 way below freezing morning. I'd already been considering and reading up on a swap from the 2.7 to a 3.5. Hemi or 3.6 out of budget range, unfortunately. I'll be content and feel more at ease with a 3.5.

I've found a 3.5 but can't seem to find a mechanic that knows how to do the job. Yes, the mechs I've reached out to have been saying "it can't be done." "You have to keep the 2.7." "The wire harness is different and it's a different transmission." (DUH but doable) "It won't line up." "The computer won't be the same." Blah, blah, blah.

Have I been dreaming this swap on all the forums I've visited? The YouTube channels I've watched? I won't go into the fact that I'm female. If I had a garage or my own shop I'd be all in it but alas....sorry for the rant. Anyone know of a mechanic in the Atlanta area that has completed this swap?
Your thoughts, suggestions, referrals are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I've only seen one (LXForum) that was ever actually finished with follow up. He outright said he'd never do it again lol. Not impossible, but very much a pain in the ass and requires the mechanical and computer (not just wiring) skills. Regular shops won't touch something like that, it's not like dropping a 6.1 in place of a 5.7, etc. You'd need a custom shop of some sort, which will get expensive QUICKLY because of labor. Not to put too fine a point on it, you'd be ahead fixing stock and selling yours and buying one born with a 3.5 or especially a hemi. There are 05-08 hemi cars here coming out the ass for not an excessive amount of money. By the time you get engine, trans, wiring, module flashing, etc etc plus having someone actually do that labor, it will most likely be quite a bit more expensive than buying the one made that way, plus if you ever go to sell or try to trade it in, you now have a one off mutant that doesn't match up. Ultimately your decision though. Personally I would've never bought a NA V6 car this heavy lol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, HemiLonestar. Had I known or been moderately interested in cars & their workings back in '07, I would've made a more informed decision.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts