Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I smoke... and I smoke in my car... 100% of the time I have the window down, and there are no issues. No one, and I mean no one ever makes a comment saying they can smell the smoke in my car. Thank God, it would drive me up the wall.

But, I did notice a very "different smell" in the car, and I started to think of ways to get rid of the smell, and bring the smell back to "perfect" quality. The air in my car was so dry, and at the end of the day, I could smell the smoke.

What did I do? I went to the Pet Store, and I bought a jar of "activated charcoal". I know it sounds silly as hell, but this stuff removed every single issue from my car, and made it smell like "nothing". It smelt perfect.

Also, I found out those with issues with "heavy smoke, or odor, can also put a dish of white vinager in the car, come back a couple of hours later with the windows shut of course, and you will find that the white stuff, has now turned a yellow, or even dark gray color due to all of the smells/odors/smoke being "pulled" out by the chemical found in that stuff.

All helpful, and cheap ways to keep your car smelling fresh every single day. If you have issues finding that activated charcoal its the same stuff found in water filters for your fish tanks.

Thanks for reading guys! I hope this might help some of you get that "old must" smell gone from your car.

-The Burgh

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I smoke in my car as well, those sound like some really good tips. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
7,948 Posts
I used this http://www.luckyvitamin.com/item/itemKey/67060. Its a crystal rock deoderizer thats made for refridgerators. Its used like Arm & Hammer to keep odors out of the fridge. It worked great. I the used the Turtle Wax Ice interior cleaner and that got rid off all of it off of the dash. The rag was pitch black. The car smelt like new when i was done.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yes charcoal works well. Even straight outta the bag. The carbon acts as an excellent odor filter. Better than baking soda even.... I've never tried the vinegar thing, but have heard it works good too. I stick with charcoal though. I work at a propane plant & if it weren't for good old kingsford charcoal ur be able to smell the sulfur 30 feet away!!!

·
Registered
747 Posts
Wanna cover up the smoke odor??? Pick up homeless crack ho and let her sleep in the car at night..... This will stop anyone from breaking into the car and it will also cover up the smell of cigarets and cigars.
Seriously.... If you really want to get rid of any stench get a ozone generator and put that in the car for a few hours, I have seen these generators used with great results to get rid of nasty stink after fires, power failures, animals and death.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I smoke in my car as well. Might have to look into some of these.. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I don't smoke but my brother has this habit of leaving his nasty @$$ gym shorts in my car when I drive so I picked up this Scentsys scented thing that looks like a hackisack and it made my car smell amazing

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Charcoal is great for getting rid of any smell. A nice tip for anyone who doesn't know about it.

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
I don't smoke but my brother has this habit of leaving his nasty @$$ gym shorts in my car when I drive so I picked up this Scentsys scented thing that looks like a hackisack and it made my car smell amazing
Forget scented crap. That works, but only to "cover" up the actual smell. The advice above by Matt is the best actually. You can buy little round pouches and place them in the car. They basically completely eliminate all smells by absorbing them. Your car will smell like absolutely nothing after about a week or so. Completely neutral, and it works.

My dad came to visit for about a week and he smokes both cigars and cigarettes. I don't smoke in my car, but I can't exactly tell him "hey, dad, throw that out the window this is a non smoking car". Needless to say, after 1 full week of heavy smoke, my car was smelling pretty bad. Picked up a couple of those charcoal pouches and the smell was gone completely after a short time.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I had no problems telling my 83 year old Dad to not even bother, it was no smoking or start walking. He had a walker so what's the problem lol

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just don't smoke in the car. It gives me a chance to stand outside and look at it in parking lots when I do smoke. I also end up smoking less, which is good. Keeps the car smelling nice and there's nothing more pleasant than standing outside in a winter storm with a soggy cigarette if it keeps the inside of the car from smelling like one. Plus I have a kid, so I don't want any smoke in there for her sake.

All my previous cars I did end up smoking in and eventually you do get SOME kind of damage from the cherry, whether a tiny hole in the seat or a scorch mark on the door near the window because of an errant ash flick, or even the sun visor. And then the time when a gust of wind blew the butt back into the car after I tried flicking it out and ended up on the back seat. Melted a nice hold in the upholstery. Not smoking in the car gives me peace of mind nothing like that is going to happen again.

·
Dave
3,633 Posts
I will not smoke in my car. I will not smoke in my car. I will not smoke in my car...

I'm still trying to quit, and not smoking in my car was a struggle for me, but the new ride gave me a lot of incentive. 2 months strong (not smoking IN THE CAR, that is), and I've been cutting back. One of these days I'll kick this habit for good, but until now, I don't need any tips on keeping smell out, lol. Seriously though? Great tips for keeping your car smelling fresh. My '08 got the same way after a while and though I only got 1 or 2 comments on it, it still bothered me when I got in it and I could smell some smoke.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Smoking in car

I dont smoke anynore, quit in 1998; my girl smokes tho..Where can I get these charcoal pouches?

Be Safe

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
I still smoke....darn...but not in my vehicles. I do use Ozium to freshen up the interior once in a while. I have used it in my previous vehicles that I smoked in. I recently used it in a heavily smoked member vehicle. My opinion is that it doesn't mask the odor, it eliminates it. I spray it toward the underside of the passenger floor so it is sucked into the system. I even use it on my home furnace filter. Just my thoughts...

·
Registered
276 Posts
I smoke, but NEVER in my car. I don't let anyone eat in my car either, and can only drink water. If you CAN'T wait until I get from point A to point B without dying of thirst or hunger, they're better off walking. It's two points for me, A) I don't want to have to clean it up (whether that be smell, food, or drinks, etc.) and B) no one respects your property like you will, so I limit it. 6 months later and I still have that new car smell! The carbon is a good way to suck up odors (it's also used in hydroponics for the exhaust systems to make sure no one smells what you're growing), and I had no clue about the vinegar...good stuff! Usually, only scentsy, febreze, scented trees, etc. only mask the smell and only smell good for about a week, then your nose gets used to it and you can barely smell it anymore, which sucks. This is why I don't use these either, just a waste of money. I wish there was a way to regain that new care smell when it goes away!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I smoked for 18 years and just quit. It's been 7 weeks and not a puff. Chantix really works for those of you that haven't tried it. I only smoked in my car a handful of times on longer trips. Otherwise, I always did it outside. My biggest issue (especially on a black car) was driving to work in the morning when the car was damp. I would ash out the window and get to work and have a four foot long ash mark going along my rear drivers side door. Plus, not smoking in your car makes it easier to quit when you finally do. Driving and smoking always went hand in hand with me and was the most difficult time not to smoke. After a year of teaching myself not to in the car, it was a ton easier to fully quit. Smoking with your morning coffee has the same challenge.

·
Dave
3,633 Posts
I'm still in the battle to quit, but I've been very strict about not smoking in my car... broke the "no eating" rule a couple times, but was very careful about it. My friends are still amazed that I don't smoke in my car. It's only been about 2-3 months since I picked it up, and it still smells like new. I do enjoy that...

As for Chantix, my friend's wife used that to quit not too long ago, and she had a lot of problems with mood swings and some pretty strange behavior while she was on it. She stopped buying cigarettes and chain-smoking, but every once in a while when we're out drinking, they'll both bum one from me. So yeah, it worked to get her to quit for the most part, but it did mess her up for a while...

I think Mark Twain said it best... "Quitting smoking is easy. I've done it a thousand times."

Good luck with all of that guys. I managed to avoid most of that smoke smell in my last car by keeping it well-vented while I was smoking in it, getting it detailed with the carpets shampooed 2x per year, and a little Car Febreeze from time-to-time. Really just masked the odors, but worked well enough for me. The other suggestions, though, look really promising. Once the new car smell wears off of mine, I'll probably do the same, haha.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts