Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well a wierd thing happened to me on the way to work in my 2006 charger R/T Daytona.

Sitting at a light, headlights in the auto position, the lights just quit, dash lights, everything is out. error code lights (check engine, brake) came on on the dash but the engine was still running. the error lights went off after about 3-5 seconds, i flipped the headlight switch to "on" and continued to werk.
So what caused this? the headlight "auto" switch still doesnt work, ON works fine, alt belt is still in-tact.

These cars do not have a volt gage which i am not a fan of manufacturers omitting them but whatever.

I have a predator tuner which tuned it so i guess when i get it home i can run some code history/checks and see what it tells me.

thoughts? anyone else have this happen?

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I'm guessing it's the switch. There's contacts and resistors in the switch for the various switch positions. Since the other switch positions work, it's probably the resistor in the "Auto" position that's defective. There may be a diagnostic code logged. The Predator can read the powertrain codes but you need a scanner that read all codes to see the additional body (Bxxxx), chassis (Cxxxx) and communication (Uxxxx) codes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks DJAlbin. Good info about the predator and nice schematic of the switch! I do have a scanner so that will be more my tool of choice then. On a side note, when i left work last nite it worked as it should..maybe it was a warning of its impending demise...or a solar flare. lol

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Sometimes the contacts in a switch can get dirty. By moving the light switch from the auto setting to the on setting, you may have "cleaned it" enough so that it would work again. To clean the contact a little better, try rotating the headlight control dial through it's various positions about a dozen times while your car is off / not running and no electricity running through the circuit. I'm a firm believer in trying the easiest / cheapest fix first. Good luck!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
EASIEST FIRST! LOL. i agree 100% and i am not one to throw parts at a problem either hoping it fixes it. I will do the "car off, rotate switch thing" and prolly do that on a more regular basis as a preventative measure. Those auto lights are nice but switches, like most things on an automobile, were meant to be used/moved.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts