Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we were snowed in for 3 days last week here in Central Texas. After 3 days of my car sitting in the cold (in the garage), the battery completely died. This car doesn't even have 6000 miles on it, so I was extremely shocked and frustrated. The interior lights wouldn't come on on battery was so dead. I ended up getting a battery charger to charge the battery and after 2 days it came back to life. Another annoyance was the fact that the trunk doesn't have a keyhole, so I had to lay down the back seats, and crawl into the trunk to open it manually to get to the battery. Not the most genious of designs. Other than this, the car has been great. I'm just glad that the Charger stranded me at home, and not out of town. (My wife's Kia Optima SX started up no problem thankfully)

Has anybody else had battery issues with these cars? I never once had any issues with my previous cars.

·
Dave
3,633 Posts
Only about 8000 miles on my '13, but no battery issues so far. I never really thought about not having a keyhole in the trunk lid and getting to the battery until now... wow! Are you sure that nothing was left on when the car got parked 3 days ago? I don't think that I've left mine sit for that long, but I doubt that your average car would completely discharge in that time period.

Have you had any custom work done to it yet?

·
Registered
13,019 Posts
My 2013 had a dead battery last week, with only 4200 miles. Yes I was pissed. I had the same issue with my 2012 Charger last winter. Always be sure the doors are completely shut and the key fob isn't close to the car. I know my headlights keep going off and on as I walk by the car in the garage.
I also went into the settings and changed it so all electrical components turn off immediately when I turn the car off. I am not a big fan of the headlights staying on for a minute or two when the cars not running.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My car was completely sealed up and nothing on. It was just the cold weather that did it to mine for sure. It was doing all kinds of crazy stuff too when the battery was dying. I tried using the clicker to lock and unlock the doors and the horn started chirping, and the rear tail lights went off like a strobe light for about 10 minutes. The cherry on top was we called roadside assistance to see if they could come jump the car, and they said to call 911 if it was an emergency, or try calling back when the weather was better. So I guess you can only get roadside assistance if it's 70 degrees and sunny outside.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
well my batt didnt die,but when i loaded my tune from the trinity,it wouldnt load because of low voltage,it was 25 deg on thanksgiving day,so i hooked up jumper cables from my truck to the batt in the car and loaded the tune,hooked the trinity back up the next day,same thing low voltage,repeated the process,batt is only 2yrs old, oem batt.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I was actually going to post this. I needed my first boost on My 2012 Charger like a month ago, I said hell no, so I took it to the dealer, left it there for a day and they said nothing wrong with it that the battery is good and alternator seems to be working fine. They told me if this happens again to call Roadside assistance so they tow your car and find out whats wrong when the car is not functioning, easier to diagnose for them apparently.

Fast forward to yesterday, I was up in the Canadian north, 4 hours from Toronto and again I needed a boost so I can make the drive from there to Toronto. Ok, I call them and tell them but they said I have to take it to a dealer up north, I said I don't have that kind of time I'll just get a boost and when I'm back home I'll take it. Today, the car started up fine, then afterwards when I went to pick up the gf from work, it started fine with no problems, I turned off the car for about 3 minutes after driving about 30 min on the hwy to pick her up and it wouldn't start again.

I called the dealer they said they don't have a tow truck available now to just boost it which I did and I called again complained that this is ridiculous, its obviously the battery and if I didn't somehow void the warranty I would use one of my spare batteries for the car. They want me to bring it on Saturday and leave it there the whole day so they can diagnose a dead battery and replace it.

·
12,968 Posts
My battery died after about 10k miles. It was on a Saturday night, so I couldn't go to the dealer for warranty. I suffered through the whole trunk issue too.

·
Registered
13,019 Posts
My kid had a dead battery a few months ago in her Challenger, you want to talk about a pain in the azz, crawling in from the sardine can sized back seat. And ofcourse her trunk was filled with junk, that made it fun, atleast the Charger is completely empty.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just a note about the inability to access the trunk. Has anyone tried to hook up a battery power source to the front jumper points? I've heard of people taking 12v power tool batteries to the junk yards to power up things.

Maybe you could apply 12v at the front long enough to trigger the trunk release?

That would beat the heck out of crawling through the back seat. Especially since that's not an option for me - the rear seat is fixed in the Pursuit.

·
Registered
2017 Charger R/T Blacktop
9,160 Posts
Man this battery stuff is weird, I am at 38,k and almost 3.5 years and no issues on the Challenger and 26,000 and almost 2.5 years on the Charger and no issues. I have also heard of people going 5 years on their 1st generation Chargers.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Just a note about the inability to access the trunk. Has anyone tried to hook up a battery power source to the front jumper points? I've heard of people taking 12v power tool batteries to the junk yards to power up things.

Maybe you could apply 12v at the front long enough to trigger the trunk release?

That would beat the heck out of crawling through the back seat. Especially since that's not an option for me - the rear seat is fixed in the Pursuit.
x2. You can charge the battery from the jumper point under the hood. Shouldn't have to actually get into the trunk unless you are disconnecting the battery.

·
Dave
3,633 Posts
Never had any issues with my '08 either, but I bought it used and I can't confirm that it was the original battery. Still, no problems with the new one yet, but I start and run it pretty much every day... so I don't know if I'll ever have that problem.

·
Dave
3,633 Posts
x2. You can charge the battery from the jumper point under the hood. Shouldn't have to actually get into the trunk unless you are disconnecting the battery.
Yeah, I never really thought about that... I forget that there are posts there to connect to. As long as you can get in the car, you can pop the hood and get to them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts