Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a ‘15 charger 3.6l, and wanted to know what a good cat back exhaust system was for it. I was thinking about the flowmaster american thunder series but wanted some input first. I don’t want my car sounding like a Honda, and I don’t want an excessively annoying drone. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What’s “best” depends on who you ask and how much you’re willing to drop on a system. Borla ATAK catback exhaust is my favorite. Pypes catback is much cheaper and is a popular choice.. although I’ve only heard it in videos it sounds good to me.

I’d recommend going to a car meet, or watching some YouTube videos with headphones and specifically paying attention to what systems sound aggressive without having that deep bassy(fartcan) sound, that high pitched honda sound at high RPM’s, and that tin can rasp sound at high RPM’s. It’s sometines easy to overlook those sounds when they’re all blended together in a video, but in person you’ll notice it 10 fold.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Go to the Borla website for the ATAK. As for the pypes, people with 2015+ purchase a 2014 kit and have a muffler shop install it. A few of the hangars need to be adjusted. You can find videos on you tube of both setups for +2015 models.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think exhaust preferences are subjective, however, here's what I did.

I recently put the Dynomax cat-back system on my 2012 Charger and I love it so far. I did have to add heat shielding to the gas tank where the new second muffler goes and I also had to add some exhaust tips. Maybe I could have gotten away with those stock chrome things, but I didn't want to. Now it sounds like a muscle car and it's not overly obnoxious. Before the tips were added, I could a little noise in the cabin at idle or cruising, but after adding the tips to get the exhaust to exit beyond the bumper, it's much better. I just added some 4" round black powder tips that were 9" long. I also added 2 washers to each bolt on the crossmember that sits just behind the cats to give it the clearance it needs so it doesn't tap against it while driving. Planning to fabricate a new one that doesn't require spacing when time allows.

The company that sells it has a decent warranty and a "no-drone guarantee" where they let you return it for a full-refund if you don't like the way it sounds and it was fairly inexpensive compared to the other options.

Previous to this system, I tried the flowmaster kit for the 3.6 and was seriously disappointed. Sounded like an import at best and didn't notice any change other than the horrible noise it made. Returned that one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts