Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When it comes to low HP the 8 speed is better because there is a good gear for all speeds. But all that shifting is useless if you have to much HP. Real drag cars only have 3-5 gears so I feel that the 5 speed with the correct hp will be better than the 8 speed. How much HP is that number. I’ve replaced the torque converter with the 3200 stall fti so it should hold 650 TQ I believe.

·
Registered
67 Posts
8 ZF is way better than the older NAG1 by a long shot. Stock for Stock, the ZF 8 speed will beat a Nag1 Charger R/t in a Drag race if drivers are both equally talented.
Yup. Wishing I had a zf instead of a nag1. Also for OP the demons and hellcats come with the zf 8 speeds for a reason. Drag cars usually have 2 or 3 speed autos because they are built, durable and proven for the crazy thousands of hp that are demanded of them. BUT that is because they have had 60+ years to perfect them. All in all both trans are good

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Purpose built drag cars have 2 or 3 speeds because that's all they need to go 1,320 feet and then stop and do it again lol. Hellcats aren't meant to be drag cars, it's an overpowered street car. The Demon, while built to be a drag car, is street legal and they would never put something other than the best available trans for the platform in it. Now look at the Drag Pack Challenger race cars, see what trans they have.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts