Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have just the basics so far Intake Predator Tstat, any of you that have made 500hp how did you do it and what was the cost. I am guessing Cams and Heads? Thanks

·
Registered
12,833 Posts
Nitrous, supercharger. you have alot of options. which way do you want to go?

·
9 Second Club
32,307 Posts
Nitrous is the cheap way, but I would go with a head/cam package:TU:

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I'm interested in this as well but I want 500 rwhp. Super charger right??

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any one get to 500 with Cams and heads and what was the expense..labor?

·
Registered
274 Posts
500 at the crank on a SRT should be now problem. Most h/c packages will produce around 450-460 rwhp.

Of course, there's always going to a power adder. You can spray a 150 shot on a stock SRT all day long. I hit mine with 300, but I wouldn't recommend that. The superchargers are going to produce around 500rwhp. So you'll be around 580 at the crank.

Head/cam packages are going to run 2-3K. Figure at least another 1K-1500 for install. Superchargers run around 5-7K and about 1K for install. Look around for deals. There's always somebody trying to get rid of something.

Either way you go, you'll need to get tuned. Figure another 400-500 for that.

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
If you want quick and easy 500 crank, nitrous is your best bet

if you want 500 to the wheels then go for a stroker or supercharger

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Given the drivetrain loss of about 17-18%, you'd need ~410 rwhp to have 500 hp crank. Which means you have to pick up about 50 rwhp. (Your car is slightly under-rated from the factory)

So beyond the CAI + predator, all you would need is an aggressive cam with a good custom tune.

·
Registered
733 Posts
ChocolateCornBread just did a heads and cam package with about 420 or more to the wheels, so that will definetly give you 500+ crank horses.
Hopefully he'll chime in...if he hasn't already..I didn't read the whole thread yet. Just went to the last post....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Given the drivetrain loss of about 17-18%, you'd need ~410 rwhp to have 500 hp crank. Which means you have to pick up about 50 rwhp. (Your car is slightly under-rated from the factory)

So beyond the CAI + predator, all you would need is an aggressive cam with a good custom tune.
Thanks sounds like thats the route I will go

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the input all, scared of nitrous think I will go with cam and tune and see where i am at

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Interested myself. Looking at the Power Trip package from Arrington. Adding about 108hp will get me past 500 at the crank easliy.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Definitely a Head and Cam Combo. And the good thing about that, power improves over time. My engine feels even stronger now, ever since I got mines done a few weeks ago.:TU:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Have just the basics so far Intake Predator Tstat, any of you that have made 500hp how did you do it and what was the cost. I am guessing Cams and Heads? Thanks
I just installed a Vortech S/C system on my charger myself. With some skill and patience it can be done yourself. I bought mine from JEGS ($5499.99) free shipping. Placing heads and a cam, you will need someone to tune it to get right.Nitrous.. well I never been around it, and don't know much about it. I am very pleased with the S/C performance, it reminds me of the old days and my '69 Chevelle SS. I chose the S/C because I wanted to have a good performance daily driver and did not want to lose my engine integrity. The full Vortech system addresses the car as a system with upgrades to the injectors,Tstat, MAP sensor, Fuel Pump Booster, Aftecooler and a custom predator tune from Vortech. Without the ESP enabled it will just shred the tires, with ESP on it will just take off and bark a very nice second gear. :TU:

·
Registered
274 Posts
I just installed a Vortech S/C system on my charger myself. With some skill and patience it can be done yourself. I bought mine from JEGS ($5499.99) free shipping. Placing heads and a cam, you will need someone to tune it to get right.Nitrous.. well I never been around it, and don't know much about it. I am very pleased with the S/C performance, it reminds me of the old days and my '69 Chevelle SS. I chose the S/C because I wanted to have a good performance daily driver and did not want to lose my engine integrity. The full Vortech system addresses the car as a system with upgrades to the injectors,Tstat, MAP sensor, Fuel Pump Booster, Aftecooler and a custom predator tune from Vortech. Without the ESP enabled it will just shred the tires, with ESP on it will just take off and bark a very nice second gear. :TU:
I've seen the Vortech installed on a few cars. It is a nice kit. I saw one put donw 525rwhp on a stingy dyno. If you can, get to a tuner that can do a custom tune. I've seen them pick up anywhere from 50-75rwhp over the Vortech tune.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
The Vortech is probably one of the most streetable SC kits out there. They don't have the "whiplash" affect of the Kenne Bell and SMS twin screws. Just a nice progressive power and torque curve.

·
Registered
733 Posts
The Vortech is probably one of the most streetable SC kits out there. They don't have the "whiplash" affect of the Kenne Bell and SMS twin screws. Just a nice progressive power and torque curve.
Brandar I sent you a pm about the KB? Trying to choose one or the other myself.

·
Registered
733 Posts
What about 3rd gear!!! Some pics would be nice!!:TU:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts