Bilstein B12 Kit (Shocks/Springs)

Discussion in '2012 Dodge Charger Forum' started by zw470, Jul 8, 2013.

1. zw470

zw470 Member

Vehicle:
    Charger
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Pitch Black
    http://cart.bilsteinus.com/product/46-228864/377939/RWD

Anyone see these on a Charger yet? Eibach Pro-Kit springs with matched Bilstein shocks. I know Eibach makes their own deal with Pro-Kit springs and shocks but I'd imagine the Bilstein shocks are higher quality and with possibly sportier damping since they're the B8 Sport shocks.

It's about the same price as a set of 2011 Challenger SRT8 Bilsteins/springs but I haven't been able to figure out if the SRT8 Bilsteins are the B6 HD or B8 Sport shocks.

2. vjo90rs8

vjo90rs8 Member

Vehicle:
    Charger STP
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Pitch Black
    The SRT shocks are modified B6 HD shocks tailored more for comfort. I myself will be trying to decide between the B12 kit or ST coil-overs in the next few months. Not really looking to go too low. The B12 kit will lower the front 1.2'' and rear 1.4" which is the same as the ST coil-overs on their tallest setting. ST uses 500/855lb/in linear springs where the pro-kit uses 428-713/800-1085lb/in progressive springs.

3. DarkKn1ght

DarkKn1ght Member

Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2014
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Torred
    What are the stock spring rates? I want some sort of baseline. I'm used to my Jeep WJ's Teraflex 4" lift spring rates which are 210 in the front and 190 in the rear. I know cars are a whole different monster.

4. vjo90rs8

vjo90rs8 Member

Vehicle:
    Charger STP
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Pitch Black
    RT + V6 with blacktop or appearance packages rates are 340/670
    V6 rates are 172/430
    AWD rates are 340/600

5. zw470

zw470 Member

Vehicle:
    Charger
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Pitch Black
    Found these on the Speedlogix site for the Eibach Pro-Kit springs. It doesn't specify what trim/engine the OEM spring rates are for, nor can I confirm that these Eibach spring rates are what you get with the Bilstein B12 package.

Front OEM: Linear 331 lbs/in
    Front Eibach: Progressive 297-428-713 lbs/in

Rear OEM: Linear 621 lbs/in
    Rear Eibach: Progressive 331-800-1085 lbs/in

Front Hotchkis Sport: Linear 280 lbs/in
    Rear Hotchkis Sport: Linear 650 lbs/in

All I can find about the H&R Sport springs is that they're progressive.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  6. zw470

zw470 Member

Vehicle:
    Charger
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Pitch Black
    I'm gonna go ahead and bump this.

7. vjo90rs8

vjo90rs8 Member

Vehicle:
    Charger STP
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Pitch Black
    After doing some more research it appears that the B12 kit uses the HD [B6] shocks. When I owned a LS1 Camaro the consensus was that the HDs were great shocks but not the best for lowered vehicles compared to Koni SAs. I was hoping Bilstein would design a new B8 Sport shock for the B12 kit [as they do for the BMW kits]. I think I might just go with ST coilovers [linear springs, higher spring rate than the pro-kit, has the same drop as the pro-kit at the maximum setting, twin-tube shock that is supposedly sourced from Koni and 5 year warranty]

8. zw470

zw470 Member

Vehicle:
    Charger
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Pitch Black
    Disappointing about the shocks. I found the kit at Summit Racing for $679 so I guess its only advantage is price. ST coilovers are made by KW and are identical to V1s except they're made of galvanized steel instead of stainless.

9. kshawn

kshawn New Member

Vehicle:
    Charger R/T
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Blue Streak Pearl
    I just installed bilstein hd with the hotchkis springs, let me preach night & day from stock OEM set up. Have to post pics......my r/t is even all around & the ride slightly firmer from stock, but when you toss the r/t of the exit ramp of the highway or a snake trail back road in north jersey the race inspired suspension is very responsive. All I was saying when I left my frt end shop(Camber Toe Lynbrook LI)how impress I was abt ride quality & appearance(stance) with the hotchkis/bilstein setup.

10. chargercrazy79

chargercrazy79 Member

Vehicle:
    Charger R/T R&T
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Toxic Orange
    If you decide to get ST coilover kit, let me know how low of a drop you actually got at the highest setting. I'm pretty much in the same boat, I'm not looking to lower my car that much, I really just want about an 1", so I'm curious to see what you get at the highest setting.

11. vjo90rs8

vjo90rs8 Member

Vehicle:
    Charger STP
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Pitch Black
    Keep going back and forth between the ST and B12 kits.
    Might end up with the B12; after doing additional research the BMW 3 series owners seem to like the HD [B6] shocks for cars lowered less than 40mm [the pro-kit lowers our cars 30/35mm]. I also like the B12 since it is a 'set it and forget it' kit, would hate to have to keep adjusting the STs to get them to sit like the pro-kit. Plus I found the B12s for only $636 online.

12. kshawn

kshawn New Member

Vehicle:
    Charger R/T
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Blue Streak Pearl
    Tire rack they have the bilsteins in stock for 109.00 each & the eibach springs I think they're on sale.

13. chargercrazy79

chargercrazy79 Member

Vehicle:
    Charger R/T R&T
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Toxic Orange
    FYI, I have a full Eibach Pro Kit System including their springs, struts and shocks that I had on my car for 3 days before I went back to stock because it was too low for my set up, I'm running pretty wide tires in the rear and I was rubbing a lot....so if anyone is interested in the whole kit, I will let it go for $450 shipped to anywhere in the states.

PM me if you're interested, this is an awesome kit and you'll be saving more than $200.

Thanks

14. Infin8Mag

Infin8Mag New Member

Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Charger RT/Max
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2013
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Silver Steel
    I know this is an old thread, but I am nearing pulling the trigger on the B12 kit. I am not a "slammed" type of guy, so hoping that the 1.2 to 1.4 drop i get with most important; handling bennies will be the ticket.

I am a bit bummed because I want new wheels/tires too, but getting the suspension taken care of first seems like the "mature" thing to do. Of course if I had the dough, I would just do it all in one go (The staggered wheels that I want are pretty expensive :/ )

I will post before and after pics here for reference for anyone else trying to decide!

15. Texas Mopar 11

Texas Mopar 11 Mopar 11 #921

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Mopar 11
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2011
    Trim?:
    Mopar11
    Color?:
    Pitch Black
    You'll be happy with the B12 kit. Handles well, and I didn't want to go too low. My current set up B12 kit with 20x9 / 20x10 staggered rims with 245 45 20 & 275 40 20 tires. A little harsh compared to stock, but not overly and no whining from the complaint department (wife). I didn't want heavier 22's or deal with rolling fenders. Love the look of those who do go that route, but this was a handling performance compromise that I've been pleased with. Good luck on your mods.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Giggy likes this.
  16. Infin8Mag

Infin8Mag New Member

Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Charger RT/Max
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2013
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Silver Steel
    Looks great man!!!

Exactly what I was hoping to hear/see!! I am getting the kit installed tomorrow, can't wait! We are in alignment and share the same needs. I don't need it too low and mainly want to ease up the gaps a little and most importanly, get better handling!

I will be posting pics tomorrow after the install weather permitting!