Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm tossing around the idea of buying the Mopar Performance Pursuit Big Brake Kit Part Number: P5160035AB and installing them on my 2018 R/T

Is there anyone here who have done this and can speak from personal experience of the stopping performance improvement.

A $1500 investment for front and rear OEM equipment is better than $3500+ for aftermarkets.

I'd greatly appreciate any input that you fine folks can give as well as those with specialized first hand experience such as LEO's who drive their Pursuits with BR9's

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Good luck acquiring all the parts. Back ordered all over the place. Its worth the money, and if you have 18" rims you will need to go to 20's. Some have had 18" go on but too close for my comfort.

Reactions: Carnal29445

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Try eBay, I just got lucky and have the BR9 Front Kit on the way from this seller.

Not sure if I got his last one or not.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I know this is old thread but a few things I just learned.

1. Avoid dealer purchase/installation.....especially installation. Some parts easier said than done. You might have to suck it up and get OEM. Even dealers have. Online stores that can be much cheaper than counter-counter.

I just purchased 2018 Charger GT AWD. Called dealer and confirmed the BR5 which is basically the R/T performance brakes. Vented rear rotors are usually a giveaway clue. Sounds like original brakes were not replaced prior to my purchase. Not a deal breaker and only a small tick south of 36K miles. Just starting to get the classic front brakes need to be checked and at minimum rotors turned to be smooth again. This scenario is predicated on there is enough rotor thickness is left after machining. Again not a major deal since I am planning on R/R rotors and pads to get a fresh baseline. My personal preference would be slotted rotors and ceramic pads all four corners.

StopTech sells a complete BBK and includes four rotors,four sets of pads,new calipers and flex line for $750. I am not sure about caliper brackets being included so I will be on the side of caution and say NOT included. If they are then a bonus.

One drawback of the BBK sales from a lot of vendors is the calipers are either plain aluminum or red. I personally don’t like red for that application and prefer Gunmetal. Black isnot enough of a contrasting background color to showfluid leaks. Gunmetal for me is a good balance of not overly flashy but easier to spot caliper damage. I would say that about 90% or greater caliper problems are fluid leaks.

I had my 2020 JGC upgraded to HD brakes and got lucky in color. The calipers all four came with a gunmetal shade of rust preventative coating. That made it easy because I just sent my brackets out to be my order coated to match the caliper color. Cost around $50-75 if I believe and only took a few days.

The other drawback is I could not find a true “one stop shopping” scenario. I ordered brackets and calipers from eBay, pads from RockAuto...PowerStop I believe and rotors fro
R1 concepts. PowerStop had the entire kit but drilled/slotted rotors and no other color options for the calipers.

If the price was right I could consider the red calipers/brackets but the drilled rotors are for me at least a show stopper.

Hope this helps, even though the vehicle was different the concept is the same!

Moral of the story.....use dealers for in warranty and after warranty only is absolutely necessary.

Evenif your not mechanically inclined shop around and you can usually find independent shops that charge well below dealers or even mobile mechanics where you purchase the parts and they install normally in your own driveway or garage.

Another life’s lesson is if your doing a brake inspection especially with high mileage rotors and pads where there could be a good chance of needing replacement is to purchase the new parts beforehand and have ready. Saves tying up four vehicle longer and saves a trip to the auto parts which if your only vehicle, has to be put back together, drive to store, and come back and start the process all over again.

if local purchase and not needed you can return. If online purchase you can either send back or keep available until the next inspection.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts