Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started to hear brake squeaks so decided to change pads and went with brembo pads the squeal came back about a week later, I decided to try new pads with new rotors i cleaned up the calipers and guide pins and was good for about 2 or 3 weeks this time but squeal is back. I only notice the squeal just at the end of braking when coming to a complete stop and never when I stop hard and fast... thanks in advance

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry also forgot to post that I did apply some brake pad quite lube... cant remember the brand but I guess it wont hurt to try your recommendation gapi thanks

·
Registered
946 Posts
Gapi is right on with that! Although, I had the same issues once and tried everything and nothing would stop the squeal until I realized that it was a heat dissipation issue! Swapped rotors for drilled and slotted and paired with ceramic pads and 0 noise!! Has been that way ever since!

Might not hurt to try if you've tried everything else....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Perfect I just picked up some of the pad quite lube he mentioned and will try that first thanks again

·
Registered
132 Posts
Gapi is right on with that! Although, I had the same issues once and tried everything and nothing would stop the squeal until I realized that it was a heat dissipation issue! Swapped rotors for drilled and slotted and paired with ceramic pads and 0 noise!! Has been that way ever since!

I have this same issue on my '13 AWD Hemi. Seems to be pretty common. The most usual cure seems to be exactly what you did: Ceramic pads with drilled/ slotted rotors. I'm trying to wait until these pads wear out since they are only 2 months old, but that squeak drives me crazy. Not sure I'll make it! Lol

·
Registered
156 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I changed the shims with the new pads I got and both times I changed the pads the squeal would go away for about a week and then come back, I still haven't tried the new brake pad quite lube that gapi suggested but will and keep you all posted thanks again everyone

·
Registered
946 Posts
Right!! Sounds like a bus or train stopping!!! Does not sound like how our cars should sound stopping!! Seriously, I tried everything including just about every anti-squeal compound out there and nothing worked except for swapping rotors w/new pads!! I deduced it to these cars (especially AWD models) having heat dissipation problems with the brakes....could be wrong though, but it worked in my case...and haven't had a single squeak since!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just swapped new rotors and pads wich is weird because they are same as the old ones wich didnt squeak for the first 2yrs and now I have to get new ceramics and slotted/drilled rotors so stupid

·
Registered
946 Posts
I just swapped new rotors and pads wich is weird because they are same as the old ones wich didnt squeak for the first 2yrs and now I have to get new ceramics and slotted/drilled rotors so stupid
Your particular issue maybe something different and easier to remedy! Might be the type(s) of pads/rotors used...could be the hardware not sitting properly...could be bedding issue/not properly done....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very well could be although I have spent hours on it and even through on a dial indicator to check run out and the pads and rotors are the exact ones I had on when I bought the car ... I'm thinking I need new slotted rotors and new pads as its probably a heat issue

·
Registered
200 Posts
My opinion: I have done my own brake jobs since I was 16 and have never paid for a garage to do them. I am 67 and still doing them, now for my kids and other family members as well. It's the one thing that shops really just charge too much for!
So a couple years ago my wife's 15 year-old PT cruiser had a bad wheel bearing. Took it to a shop to have the bearing replaced and about a week later it started having an intermittent high-pitch squeal. I took it back several times and they eventually told me I would need a complete brake replacement; hoses, calipers, pads and rotors for $800. I got the parts and did it myself for $350. It was fine for about a week and it started doing it again. Assuming it could NOT be the brakes, I replaced the front control arms, half-shafts with CV joints, and front struts. It was OK for about a week, then came back. I took the brakes apart and after careful examination found that the anti-rattle clips were scraping against the rotors. These are the clips that go in-between the dog-ears on the pads and the grooves in the caliper. I first got a new set of clips from the auto parts place but they also squealed after a week, so I removed them and the noise never came back. I assume that the shop did something that caused the initial problem, but since I installed new ones myself, I don't know how this could happen. My assumption is that Chrysler sent the wrong specs to the aftermarket people so the clips are sized wrong.
So my suggestion is to pull the clips and examine them for a shiny edge, and look at the rotor so see if you see a shiny groove. The groove isn't very obvious, so examine carefully! If this is the problem, then either remove them or trim them back a little with a grinder or tin snips. Seeing as how you have tried everything else, this may be your problem as well!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I should say that the only other bad problem I had with my brakes was on my Honda Element. There was an intermittent odd noise that sounded like something dragging under the car. It was only on about every 10th application of the brakes. These were a quality brand name set of pads that had only been on about 500 miles, so I was sure there wasn't anything wrong with them. I took it to the Honda place and they told me I had a bad pad. I swapped them out inside of the warranty and when I looked at the ones that had been scraping there was a metal chunk in the middle of it, like the metal shaving machine had blown chunks of metal out intermittently and one was in the middle of one of the pads. That's the only bad pad I have ever gotten! Once I swapped out the pads it was fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts