Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this has been asked here at some point or if it’s in the wrong section, but anyways. I have a 2013 SE with aftermarket 20 inch rims. Shortly after putting on the new wheels last year my brakes started to pulsate. I brought them to get fixed and it turns out what happened was they were wearing unevenly. Luckily the brakes were brand new and still under warranty so I had them swapped for new ones. Well, it’s doing it again. They last about 2 or 3 months before they start pulsating again. I’ve come to the conclusion that I have to upgrade my brakes but I’m not sure exactly what I should upgrade. I’m planning rotors and pads obviously but I’m not sure if I should do calipers or anything else as well. If anybody has any advice, I’d greatly appreciate it because I’m getting unbelievably frustrated with this constantly happening. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Camber might be off on 1 or both front wheels...would cause the pulsation issue and especially if you feel it in the steering wheel. Sounds like the pads are wearing unevenly and at a rapid pace. Venturing a guess though...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Camber might be off on 1 or both front wheels...would cause the pulsation issue and especially if you feel it in the steering wheel. Sounds like the pads are wearing unevenly and at a rapid pace. Venturing a guess though...
Ironically enough, when I had the new wheels put on last April, I had the camber checked and it came back good. Maybe something changed over time. I’ll definitely have that checked because they are absolutely wearing very unevenly and the steering wheel shakes pretty bad when I stop.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Ironically enough, when I had the new wheels put on last April, I had the camber checked and it came back good. Maybe something changed over time. I’ll definitely have that checked because they are absolutely wearing very unevenly and the steering wheel shakes pretty bad when I stop.
Yeah, that would be the first thing I would check...you could try the string trick to fix the camber yourself and see if that does the trick..and also would def save you some $$

·
Registered
948 Posts
I think camber is only going to affect tire wear and car handling, not the pulsing. Especially if the pulsing disappears with changing brake components.
What is wearing unevenly? Is a pad wearing at an angle? Or is the inside pad wearing faster than the outside? Is the rotor wearing unevenly or one side of the car more than the other side?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think camber is only going to affect tire wear and car handling, not the pulsing. Especially if the pulsing disappears with changing brake components.
What is wearing unevenly? Is a pad wearing at an angle? Or is the inside pad wearing faster than the outside? Is the rotor wearing unevenly or one side of the car more than the other side?
I’m not 100% on what exactly is wearing unevenly but if I recall correctly, last time it was the pads. And I’m pretty sure the passengers side wore more than the drivers side. Handling is fine and so is tire wear, it’s really only the brakes that are rapidly wearing out. I’m looking to upgrade them because it’s going to keep happening if I just replace them with the same things. I went from 17” rims to 20” rims which I know plays a part for sure

1 - 6 of 6 Posts