Brakes finally hold up at Track Day

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger Drag Racing Discussion' started by pbrmeasap, Mar 29, 2017.

1. pbrmeasap

pbrmeasap New Member

Vehicle:
    Charger 16' 392
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2016
    Trim?:
    SRT8
    Color?:
    Jazz Blue
    Well after two failed attempts, finally had a successful track day with my 392. The Florida International Rally & Motorsport Park (http://gorally.com/) is 1.6 miles and quite technical - so hard on brakes (& tires).

The stock Brembo pads would fade and nearly go away entirely after 6 hot laps. So, changed the fluid to the Castrol SRF racing fluid and to the Powerstop Z26 street/track pads. Went back out on another track day and encountered significant fade after only 2 laps. Clearly the Z26 pads were not up to the heavy duty requirements of stopping 4400 pounds on such a technical course. Needless to say, having the brake pedal get so squishy was really alarming.

So, then switched to the Powerstop track day pads, meant only for track and not daily driving. Went out on another track day and Success! Brakes held up beautifully after many hot laps. There is actually little to no noise and only moderate brake dust. I had initial concerns on how the rear pads would hold up as they do not have a backing plate, which is only on the front pads. After consulting with Powerstop, I was assured that all was good and the rear's do not have the plate to assist with heat dissipation. There was some degradation by the piston into the pad, but not significant.

The moral of the story is, if going to a track day with Charger or Challenger, be sure to upgrade the brake fluid and brake pads. Now, to upgrade the oem all season Pirellis...

If interested, here is a short vid of a couple of laps - following a buddy as we warmed up the tires.

Phunkydiabetic and Out2k like this.
  2. Out2k

Out2k New Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SE
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2014
    Trim?:
    SE
    Color?:
    Pitch Black
    Nice , So how are you liking the Power Stop brakes? They seemed to look like they were slowing you well around the bends. I thinking of buying a set of 4- Z23's power stops for my charger, but seen were people complained of squeeling noise.

3. SDTWDirect

SDTWDirect Member Platinum Vendor

Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2013
    Trim?:
    SRT8
    Very nice feedback and results! And yes, I am curious to see the jump in performance when you upgrade to a summer performance tire.

-AL of SDTW Direct

4. pbrmeasap

pbrmeasap New Member

Vehicle:
    Charger 16' 392
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2016
    Trim?:
    SRT8
    Color?:
    Jazz Blue
    I am using the Z26 for daily driving and have no issues whatsoever. No noise or brake dust.

For a track day, I switch out to the Track Day pads. Kind of a pain to switch out and back again but the only way can have a successful track day with no pucker factor. I don't keep those in for daily driving due to wear and noise issues.

5. Out2k

Out2k New Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SE
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2014
    Trim?:
    SE
    Color?:
    Pitch Black
    Well , i went ahead and bought the set of 4- Z23's evolution sports, (Pads and slotted/drilled rotors). Guess i will see how they do after next weekend.