Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon this is my first time posting I have a 2007 Dodge Charger srt-8 with a brake issue... The passenger rear caliper gets stuck sometimes and doesn’t seem to release all the way when I take my foot off the brake it makes a grinding sound most of the time. Here’s my question are the remanufactured calipers from Autozone and advance auto parts equivalent to the original? Or should I rebuild the original one on the car? Part# 18-5085 at advance auto parts & part# 97R17723B at Autozone please help I know there’s a lot of srt8 experience on here thanks

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
First off, if it makes a grinding noise, are the pads wore out? If the caliper pistons are over extended, this can cause a problem. Secondly, I have used Autozone parts a lot, and have had no problem with them since a lot of them are lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First off, if it makes a grinding noise, are the pads wore out? If the caliper pistons are over extended, this can cause a problem. Secondly, I have used Autozone parts a lot, and have had no problem with them since a lot of them are lifetime warranty.
When it first starting making the grinding noise I assumed it was the pads so I bought some new pads and changed them, the noise went away for a few miles until I started using the brakes frequently and the noise came back. So I believe the caliper is not opening back all the way when I take my foot off the brake and sometimes it locks up. So I’m guessing the caliper is going bad. But trying to find a affordable replacement is a headache but I might go with the Autozone replacement because I use there parts for my other cars as well.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Welcome from Pittsburgh! I have no additional insights that could help with your brake issue, but I do wish you luck! Lots of knowledgeable people here!

Reactions: chargersrt8miami

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
IF the brakes still stick, you could have a collapsed brake hose. This happens when the last person hanging the caliper crushed the hose.
If its squeaking ,you might want to try spinning the hub with the wheel off. Its probably not anything in the brakes grinding.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
IF the brakes still stick, you could have a collapsed brake hose. This happens when the last person hanging the caliper crushed the hose.
If its squeaking ,you might want to try spinning the hub with the wheel off. Its probably not anything in the brakes grinding.
Hthanks for the fast response how can I tell if it’s the hose? I was thinking maybe the emergency brake might be rubbing because the brake light is on any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
780 Posts
My friend's Charger had a brake grinding noise that was fixed by greasing the calipers, but if you just replaced your calipers, I guess that's not it. If the brakes are squeaking rather than grinding, that's an issue common to a lot of Chargers (including mine) caused by brake dust and cured by installing drilled/ slotted rotors and ceramic pads. If the brakes are truly grinding, that sounds like a possible rotor issue to me. Possibly warped, hot spots, etc? My go-to cure for most brake issues are Powerstop cross drilled/slotted rotors w/ carbon fiber/ ceramic pads. Just my 2 pence.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My friend's Charger had a brake grinding noise that was fixed by greasing the calipers, but if you just replaced your calipers, I guess that's not it. If the brakes are squeaking rather than grinding, that's an issue common to a lot of Chargers (including mine) caused by brake dust and cured by installing drilled/ slotted rotors and ceramic pads. If the brakes are truly grinding, that sounds like a possible rotor issue to me. Possibly warped, hot spots, etc? My go-to cure for most brake issues are Powerstop cross drilled/slotted rotors w/ carbon fiber/ ceramic pads. Just my 2 pence.
Hi I read something about the rotor can cause the grinding sound even when the brakes aren’t pressed.. wish I had a test rotor lol before buying one and it doesn’t fix the problem thanks I might have to just bite the bullet and buy a new rotor

1 - 10 of 10 Posts