Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I am a fairly new charger owner and so far so good. I have a 2008 Dodge Charger SXT.

I had a run in yesterday at my local oil change misc. place. They noticed that I had no cabin air filter in place. According to them, it could have been as critical as wheels, or perhaps some other safety gear. Suffice it to say I caved to their aggressive sales pressure, a total hit to my wallet of just over 60 bucks. I am referring to the filter that would be placed under the grate on the passenger's side sitting somewhere behind the glove box.

I then went to my local parts store, out of curiosity more than anything to see what I could get my next filter for, and they couldn't find any kind of filter that would fit a Dodge Charger. I then followed up with my dealership who said basically "if it wasn't there to begin with, it shouldn't be". I then went back to the oil change place to complain, who said my dealership often does this, removing all sorts of miscellaneous non critical parts in order to save money when a car is released to the customer.

So, I am looking for a little bit of a clarification, I have two "experts" who are telling me very different things. Where does the truth lie here? Is the cabin air filter a nice to have, a must have, or shouldn't have?

·
Registered
14,778 Posts
It's an option on the SXT and R/T models and I would bet most don't have the option on them. It's not as simple of just putting a filter in there is a housing that has to be added for the filter.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Ive never even heard of anything like this. What is it supposed to do? Just filter air out of the cabin?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Hum no I'll have to see if I have one... I know my service book keeps saying to change it... but dealer never has pushed it...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's an option on the SXT and R/T models and I would bet most don't have the option on them. It's not as simple of just putting a filter in there is a housing that has to be added for the filter.

Hmmm, needs a housing eh? I think I am going to take this to the dealership, or someone who knows what the inside of a charger looks like. They literally just inserted a filter, its sitting covering what I would assume would be the cabin air fan, but they never needed any kind of housing for it. Filter came straight out of the box and into the car.

So that being said, is it possible that I had an empty housing? The housing is there, but my charger just didn't have the option for the cabin air filter?

·
Registered
663 Posts
My 08 Daytona has it. It seems to help and it keeps pollen from coming into the cabin when running the a/c or just vent air from the outside.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I cant imagine the factory making 2 different boxes to make this an option. just not very cost efficient. now if they put a filter in it and call it an option that could be different tho. i have an 06 srt8 and it has the filter in it. i think it cost between $15-25 for it. but it just drops in the box on the passenger side and has a cover over it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
When you look under the piece on the passenger side of the car, do you just see the filter or do you see like what is attached (the piece covering the filter)?

Attachments

·
Registered
826 Posts
Hum no I'll have to see if I have one... I know my service book keeps saying to change it... but dealer never has pushed it...
x2.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The cabin air filter is located on the firewall UNDER the hood passenger side. I order my replacement filters online for $20. Good rule of thumb is replace at least every 6 months. If you don't your interior will start to smell stale

·
Registered
142 Posts
It is an optional piece, not all cars have one. it's definitely a good thing to have if you have anyone with allergies in your car. However if your the type who drives with the windows down all the time it's a complete waste of money IMO.

As for the dealership taking them out to "save money" that's a total crock. i've worked at the dealership they charge an obscene amount of money for the replacement filters. It would make zero sense for them to remove one from a car when they can charge you 60$+ for a filter twice a year.

If you have one do yourself a favor go to a part shop pick up a 20$ fram one and pop it in yourself it takes a total of 10 seconds to do. Pop your hood, pop off the access panel in the rain baffle directly under the passenger side wiper, open the plastic slot, pull out the old filter, pop in your new one. I'd say it's almost easier to do then replacing your main air filter. Not to mention doing it yourself will save you ~40$ each time you do it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts