Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to do my first mod on my SE, a Cold Air Intake system. I'm no mechanic, but am pretty handy and very good at taking things apart and putting them back together. With that said I've become a bit confused as I've tried to learn about CAI's and the differences between brands and types. I've been looking at all of the brands, K&N, Big Bully, AFE, Volant, Airaid, etc. I've noticed that there are different stage CAI's. Stage 1, 2 and 3. From what I understand Stage 1's don't replace the intake tube, just the filter box and filter. Stage 2's replace the filter box, filter and the intake tube. Is there a difference in power and/or sound when using a stage 2 CAI over a stage 1 CAI? I'm looking at an Airaid that is a stage 1, but I don't want to waist my money if it's not going to give me anything. Here's the one I'm looking at...

[URL="http://www.airaid.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=350-171"][url]http://www.airaid.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=350-171[/URL][/URL]

I've found it for as little as about $160.00, which is part of the motivator, about 1/2 of the stage 2's, but it dosen't replace the stock intake tube. Is there anyone out there that has some experience they can share regarding CAI's? I'm looking first for a sound improvement, and if possible some performance improvements as well. Thanks.

·
Registered
897 Posts
i've had what you called a type 2 intake and made by a reputable brand and now i have an ebay intake that i got for less than 100 that is "stage II" and it works great with a k&N filter ! If your willing to spend a bit more money check out bigbully intakes from what i have heard they have a quality product

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ebay vs Name Brand

@chargermania

Thanks for the reply... Yeah, I've seen them on Ebay. They don't have a heat shield, and isn't that part of the point. You want cold air in the engine, not hot air from under the hood. I may be wrong, like I said I'm no mechanic, but that seems to be a valid point to me.

How was the performance difference between the "name brand" and the ebay CAI? What made you change from the "name brand" to the ebay one? Not trying to knock you, just want to learn something. I don't want to spend 200 - 300 dollars if 60 on ebay will do the same thing...

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
I have the airraid stage 1 and its real good. It sucks in lots of air and sounds great. The only reason I am replacing mine soon is because it doesn't flow with my engine bay theme.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

@georgiaslim45

Thanks for the opinion on the Airaid. I was looking for that kind of input.

These forums are great. Still interested in other peoples opinions and experience on different brands and stage 1 vs stage 2 intake systems.

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
No problem. Honestly I with go with the Big Bully simply for the price, looks, its stage 2, and is only about $20 more than the Airaid.

·
H-D 883 IRON
12,781 Posts
No problem. Honestly I with go with the Big Bully simply for the price, looks, its stage 2, and is only about $20 more than the Airaid.
Totally agree with Keon on this. The bigbully is the best intake for your application and the guys at 3G are great to work with. They will answer all your questions.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have the ebay one Chargermania was talking about, the price is cheap, it looks and it comes with a K&N filter. I removed all the parts that the stock air filter come on and my K&N sits right behind the fender sucking in "cold" air away from the hot engine. It sounds awesome and have heard all CAI work the same? But that said, a lot of guys on here like Big Bully intake....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to everyone

I've got some deciding to do now. I appreciate everyone's opinions and experience regarding CAI's. If anyone else has anything else to add I'm all ears. It'll be two to four weeks before I make a purchase.

·
Registered
14,952 Posts
Big bully from 3g all the way

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
Hmmm... BigBullie for $175. May be the way to go. How long will the sale last?

Thats regular pricing my friend so you are in good hands.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
39 Posts
i recently bought the lmi carbon fibered c.a. and i noticed a difference in acceleration and i think it was worth the money - the only thing is it came with no instructions - thank god im military and i know many many mechanics - eventually we called and found out you have to take off the wheel to remove a piece thats in the way where the filter will end up sitting - it took about 30 minutes after we figured that out - all you do is pull that piece out - will post pics later.

·
Registered
224 Posts
the "stage II" tube that you are refering to is smooth, as opposed to the stock tube.. the smoother the tube, the faster the air can enter into your engine, thereby giving you a more efficient product. if you are going to do a CAI, you generally at least want to replace your tube as the air is greatly slowed in the stock form.

·
Registered
40 Posts
just got my big bully for my 2.7l and it looks amazing and sounds great and it was pretty cheap considering the other options i was lookin for..i paid 195 for mine and it was well worth it

·
Registered
14,952 Posts
just got my big bully for my 2.7l and it looks amazing and sounds great and it was pretty cheap considering the other options i was lookin for..i paid 195 for mine and it was well worth it
Congrats, now be sure to post up some pics.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts