Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
The Factory intake, while not very glamorous, pulls air from a good location. If you want the look you could get a Mopar can or aem dry setup. Or k&n...

·
Registered
424 Posts
I concur with sc.charger.....the factory intake is hard to beat as far as performance. If you must, at least go with something in an enclosed box to prevent heat soak (like the AFE Momentum).

Reactions: OutlawStar65X

·
Registered
948 Posts
Pop the lid on the factory box and take a look down in there. There is a triangular hole at the bottom pulls air from the left side brake air duct area. There is even a little scoop in the air duct to direct air up to the filter.
You will also notice a foam gasket at the bottom helping to keep the hot engine air out. Some folks get the hellcat lower box because it adds a snorkel to the front grill.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Here is my 2013 R/T Plus inlet.

charger_cai_inlet.jpg

Reactions: Him2gud10

·
Registered
93 Posts
i have the K&N CAI... my temp gauge reaches half in minutes. i pop the hood in the garage after i am home too help cool the engine. if u guys know for a fact that the CAI will cause damage, then i will revert back to stock. car has 2200 miles on her, had the CAI installed for about 500/600 miles.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't think you can harm the engine with a K&N CAI.If it's pulling hotter air then the factory setup does then your not gaining any performance. You gain cool sounds and that's about it.
Now K&N in history always outflows factory air filters. You could sell it and get a drop in K&N air filter. It's not going to sound as good but it will perform better IF the air temp is cooler.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I don't think you can harm the engine with a K&N CAI.If it's pulling hotter air then the factory setup does then your not gaining any performance. You gain cool sounds and that's about it.
Now K&N in history always outflows factory air filters. You could sell it and get a drop in K&N air filter. It's not going to sound as good but it will perform better IF the air temp is cooler.
i have a drop in K&N, may have to revert back to it. i may just cop the Mopar CAI...

·
Registered
93 Posts
i actually went to the performance pages and to my surprise my coolant temp was only 202/204... sitting idle it creeped up to 210/212. that is with the K&N CAI. if i am correct, those temps r normal. driving in 86 degree weather BTW.

·
Registered
948 Posts
i actually went to the performance pages and to my surprise my coolant temp was only 202/204... sitting idle it creeped up to 210/212. that is with the K&N CAI. if i am correct, those temps r normal. driving in 86 degree weather BTW.
Coolant temp and AIT are two different things that don't really impact each other. AITs should run 10 to 15 degrees hotter than ambient when moving at highway speeds

1 - 20 of 21 Posts