Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys I’m picking up a 2013 R/T+ tomorrow. I’ve been waiting for this moment ever since I sold my challenger 5 years ago. Ive been driving an avenger to save up some money. I’ve finally got some money saved up to get what I want.

Who all has supercharged daily drivers?

Pros and cons?

I drive 30 miles one way to work. Sometimes in traffic sometimes not.

I’m looking at the stage 1 Edelbrock complete kit right now but I want some real world reviews.

I’m and LEO so driving like an idiot 24/7 isn’t an option for me. I just want a car that’s fun to drive when the opportunity arises. The car will be well taken care of and may visit the track every so often.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
5,990 Posts
Mine is a daily driver. I have a Procharger. For me, the biggest problem has been when Las Vegas temperatures hit 110+. My kit included the "race" intercooler which covers the entire radiator. One of these days, I'll either get a smaller intercooler, or have mine cut down. Other than that, no real problems and it's definitely more fun to drive. I tend to drive like a grandma on the street, but every once in a while... I also do some racing at the strip.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. What kind of power are you putting down? The price of the procharger has me leaning towards that direction as well.

Mine is a daily driver. I have a Procharger. For me, the biggest problem has been when Las Vegas temperatures hit 110+. My kit included the "race" intercooler which covers the entire radiator. One of these days, I'll either get a smaller intercooler, or have mine cut down. Other than that, no real problems and it's definitely more fun to drive. I tend to drive like a grandma on the street, but every once in a while... I also do some racing at the strip.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I have a 2005 Supercharged Silverado. Cons? According to power and driving habits Transmission and/or drive line parts and work in your future. The cost of premium?

I purchased the truck, put 5k miles on it and installed the Magnuson Radix, 100k miles now with no issues other than getting a transmission that will hold up (finally).

On the HEMI if you don't change your internals to forged and keep the MDS cam you are limited to maybe 6-7psi boost. Maybe you will get 100HP. They always claim more.

Hassles? The Tune. A kit will come with a canned tune and you must run scan logs to make sure you are not too lean and are not pulling timing because of knock (detention).
Most canned tunes are rich to make sure but you still should dial it in and unless you are extremely lucky, it takes lots of trial and error and testing.
It takes an experienced tuner to read scans and calibrate accordingly.

Worth it? Yes.

If your blower has a bypass you can pamper it like stock and get near stock MPG until you romp it.

Find a Dyno shop operator near you and interview him. And get a baseline as-is before dyno pull. Get a referral for a tuner to do a Dyno tune.
Ad a dyno tune into your budget.

Reactions: HDMoparboy

·
5,990 Posts
"Thanks for the reply. What kind of power are you putting down? The price of the procharger has me leaning towards that direction as well. "

I've done a few "things". Currently putting down 649 hp at the wheels. On an otherwise stock engine, I would expect somewhere in the 500 - 550 range with 8 lbs. of boost.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I have a link to my truck blog in my reply above. 400HP (in the summer heat) to the tires @7psi.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[QUOTE="I've done a few "things". Currently putting down 649 hp at the wheels. On an otherwise stock engine, I would expect somewhere in the 500 - 550 range with 8 lbs. of boost.[/QUOTE]

Man that’s impressive!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a Whipple on my 2017 R/T that I daily drive. I have the stage 2 kit and am still running the canned Whipple tune. Seem to be hitting between 9-10lbs at WOT and though the canned tune had my AFR very rich for the first several months, I had my TCM tuned and it seems to be a lot more appropriate now (between 10.5-11 AFR at WOT)

I put down 458rwhp and apprx the same torque on a Mustang Dyno, which would be around 500rwhp on the average dyno (for comparison, the new 650 crank hp Camaro ZL1 makes just over 500rwhp on the same dyno).

I don't know much about the Edelbrock other than what I've read but I would bet on their kit being just as reliable and consistent. Don't think their blower gives you as much room to grow if you do more work down the road, but if your end goal is just another reliable 125-150hp I'm sure you'll be pleased.

As mentioned, a tune you trust/monitoring your AFR is critical. Many people don't trust Whipple's stock tune but I am someone who does, until I do more work.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
11.0 AFR is too lean. And more than 7psi I hope you have forged internals.

·
Registered
99 Posts
11.0 AFR is too lean. And more than 7psi I hope you have forged internals.
It's really never at 11 at WOT, bobbles right at 10.5.

Have had this discussion and done my research - I know and accept the risk, but plenty of people have ran these at 8-9lbs for years without issue. I'm not seeing that much boost on every drive because I stay aware of my throttle. I'm planning to forge in less than a year

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the edelbrock e-force on mine. Has been on car for about a year, no issues. When I first installed the coolant tank for the intercooler leaked but edelbrock has since redesigned and set me the new one free of charge. It runs 6 psi, I had it dyno'd on a awd mustang dyno and it showed 403hp/400tq at the wheels. Everyone told me that those dyno's are heartbreakers, i was looking for more in the 425 range. I plan to have the car dyno tuned soon, I'm just running whatever edelbrock's base tune is currently.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Canned tunes are on the safe side. With a dyno tune where your AFR ans knock retard is monitored closely and dialed in I think you will be pleased.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just FWIW, I spent a good 3-4 hours at the strip yesterday - Ridiculously humid day so the track was empty. There were maybe 15-20 cars total so you could literally run as much as you wanted, though no PBs were going to be made.

I think I ran 7-8 times, hotlapping two different times (literally circling, grabbing my slip, and back at the tree within 2 minutes. As noted, I am still running the canned Whipple Stage 2 tune, with a custom TCM tune, and I was amazed how "factory" the car ran from the time I left the house til I was parked back in my garage.

Saw 9lbs all day, IATs never made it more than 46 degrees over ambient and, my biggest surprise, my trans never made it over 201 degrees, mostly staying at 196/197 throughout.

As I said, wasn't a day for good times, but for comparison purposes, there was a stock new 5.7 Challenger running .8 to a full second slower than I was

1 - 14 of 14 Posts