Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I attempted to jump start the battery earlier. My alternator died from that alternator recall. I needed to correctly lock my doors so in an attempt to give the car just enough juice to lock the doors, I connected my jump starter to the front jump point. When I did, I got a large spark, then my jump starter went from 100% charge to completely dead instantly. The cables were extremely hot, I had to wait a while to be able to remove them from the unit. The jump starter charged up fine and is now working as if nothing happened but now I can't get anything from the car with it connected. Did I screw up somewhere and fry something? It's worth noting that I didn't do anything unusual this time, same way I jump any other car I've ever jumped.

I took a look under the hood and noticed something odd though, seems I have some exposed wires in the wiring harness under the front jump point/fuse box. I have no idea if this was here before.

It's a 2013 SXT+.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
948 Posts
You say you've used the jump box before, but what you describe sounds like you shorted the positive and negative leads together. Or you connected the leads incorrectly.

I connected jumper cables incorrectly once and the cables got really hot. I have even seen where the jumper cables got so hot they melted into a plastic bumper cover
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,869 Posts
The exposed wires in the wiring harness will need to be looked at. Usually a blow-out on the wiring harness will show signs of heat (burned, scorched spots). The damage in your photo looks more like rodents chewed on it. The wiring harness will need to be tested/repaired.
.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Maxwell Meyer

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You say you've used the jump box before, but what you describe sounds like you shorted the positive and negative leads together. Or you connected the leads incorrectly.

I connected jumper cables incorrectly once and the cables got really hot. I have even seen where the jumper cables got so hot they melted into a plastic bumper cover
It's possible, I'm like 99.8% sure I connected them correctly but I suppose it's possible I did get something backwards.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The exposed wires in the wiring harness will need to be looked at. Usually a blow-out on the wiring harness will show signs of heat (burned, scorched spots). The damage in your photo looks more like rodents chewed on it. The wiring harness will need to be tested/repaired.
.
I'm kind of a dunce when it comes to electrical work. Could the harness damage be a factor of the car not doing anything at all? I haven't tested my battery yet so I'm not ruling that out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
948 Posts
You might have killed the battery. With it still in the circuit and it's bad, maybe things won't power up. I know the cars have a fusible link which would probably break in a situation like yours. Not sure where it is. Try Google, maybe you tube can show us where it is
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top