Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have yet another problem I'm coming to the forumz for: I switched my summer tires over to winter 2 nights ago, during this I disconnected the negative cable from the post to reset the comp (only mentioning it because its the only electrical thing I've done to it in the past 48hrs)

Worked perfectly fine for one day after switching wheels, but then this morning on my drive to work, both the ABS light and the e-brake/brake light(red one) started popping on and off, with the speedo and heater cutting out. I made it to the parking lot (about 4 minutes before I reached the lot it started working normally)
I did a key dance just to see if anything would be there, and it showed up as no faults or anything. Took the key out, went to turn it back on, and it wouldnt turn over. I only got that single red light (theft/immobilizer one, dead center of the dash). Pushed the brake and it went away. Tried to use the key, and again, nothing. Door locks wouldnt work by the switches or anything. Tried my key fob, and it wouldnt respond, trunk/remote start, anything. I stupidly locked all the doors by hand, and the fob wont open them. Can't even get under the hood to check it out now
So locked out of the car now, and none of the fob buttons work, even physically putting the key in the cylinder/door handle wont even let it turn to unlock!

So, basically its a brick at this point. Any ideas? I'm going to try the other fob and pray that it lets me in. I have a viper 350 alarm on it(has been fault free for a year+ now, dont think its the cause), thefob for that is also unresponsive. Battery was changed/new one tested this past summer, so dont think thats the cause either (not ruling it out though)

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I'm not sure what to tell you other than i wouldn't rule out a battery issue. Other than that, I think a dealer trips going to happen very soon for you. Sorry brother.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies!
The key not turning in the lock thing was due to it being frozen. Didnt think it was THAT cold out, but I was relieved to know it wasnt a part of all this.

Got it boosted, and was able to get it home. The instant the key leaves the car, it dies. Im thinking alternator or battery. However, the only lights that show up are the ABS, and e-brake light, as the speedo drops and comes back to whatever speed Im doing at the time. If it was battery/alt, wouldnt all the lights be flashing? My winters dont have TIPMs in them, but wouldnt that just make the tire pressure light come on, and not ABS/E-Brake as well?

Edit: Battery is new as of this summer, but its a RedTop, go figure.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I don't have TPMS on my summers so I have the tire pressure light on for months but it doesn't trigger the other ones. Good to hear the lock wasn't part of the problem. Hope you get an answer soon.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
This may be a dumb question, but did you possibly forget to tighten down the negative cable to the battery?

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
^^cuda's got a good question.
If the terminals are tight, then it is the time of year when a bad battery will let you know she's going kaputz! Take the battery to an auto parts store and let them test it, if bad, get another one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, definitely made sure the negative was reattached correctly, and repairs have been gloing SLLOOOWW cause of this crappy weather!
Got a new alternator + belt, I actually drive a FWD Avenger with a 3.5L, so space is super limited- will be doing the rocker assembly replacement so might be a good time to do the alt at the same time (I know, I know, a Venge on a Charger forum, but this one could hang with a few of the V6s!)
Going to try and boost the battery tonight again, then see what happens. Will take it to a garage tomorrow and get it checked
Thanks again for all the replies

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the posts/thoughts everyone, figured I'd update:
it ended up being my battery terminals that goto the battery breaking! I took it to a friends garage and discovered that one had broke, and the other wascoming loose. I guess with the battery being in the location that it is (Avengers have them in the drivers side fender), "aftermarket" terminals like I had from the last owner (the kind that are painted red and black) can break from bouncing and whatnot, and the painted ones dont give as good of a connection, or grip to the terminal.

Still had them install the new Alt and belt though, just cause.
Thanks again for the help

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I have yet another problem I'm coming to the forumz for: I switched my summer tires over to winter 2 nights ago, during this I disconnected the negative cable from the post to reset the comp (only mentioning it because its the only electrical thing I've done to it in the past 48hrs)

Worked perfectly fine for one day after switching wheels, but then this morning on my drive to work, both the ABS light and the e-brake/brake light(red one) started popping on and off, with the speedo and heater cutting out. I made it to the parking lot (about 4 minutes before I reached the lot it started working normally)
I did a key dance just to see if anything would be there, and it showed up as no faults or anything. Took the key out, went to turn it back on, and it wouldnt turn over. I only got that single red light (theft/immobilizer one, dead center of the dash). Pushed the brake and it went away. Tried to use the key, and again, nothing. Door locks wouldnt work by the switches or anything. Tried my key fob, and it wouldnt respond, trunk/remote start, anything. I stupidly locked all the doors by hand, and the fob wont open them. Can't even get under the hood to check it out now
So locked out of the car now, and none of the fob buttons work, even physically putting the key in the cylinder/door handle wont even let it turn to unlock!

So, basically its a brick at this point. Any ideas? I'm going to try the other fob and pray that it lets me in. I have a viper 350 alarm on it(has been fault free for a year+ now, dont think its the cause), thefob for that is also unresponsive. Battery was changed/new one tested this past summer, so dont think thats the cause either (not ruling it out though)
How did you get into it? For mine, the battery is unhooked and the fob isn't working and I'm locked out. I can't get into mine. How did you get into yours?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts