Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so a few days ago my car was running fine all morning. That night I went to leave and while pulling out my drive way car began to rough idle.

When I hit the gas the car is fine but on idles it sucks major, even in park my RPMS flutter between 0-1. I took to a shop where the code was thrown for O2 sensor, sensor 1 bank 1 and sensor 1 bank 2. I recently changed both of these which didn't solve the problem. Car still idles rough no other codes shown.

When I let the car run and pop the hood it sounds as if my intake is gasping for air? (If that makes sense) Almost like a wheezing noise here and there. But once I hit the gas it sounds fine its only at a stand still when the problem persist.

I want to diagnose any smaller problems that I can fix before I take somewhere and pay double. Could this be a bad EGR? Can this go bad without throwing a code? Or possibly a MAP sensor? IAT sensor?

Are there any write ups on how to fix these issues? Would any of these sensors cause this type of problem?

Thanx in advance!

·
Registered
230 Posts
when was the last time you replaced your spark plugs? i would check all spark plugs to make sure the electrodes aren't missing.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when was the last time you replaced your spark plugs? i would check all spark plugs to make sure the electrodes aren't missing.
Spark plugs were replaced about 3 months ago. Its an entire new engine and a ton of new parts as well. Since the new engine install has about 3000miles on it.

I would just take it back to who put the engine in but they sucked major. Super rip-off and scam artist. So after my car was finished I left them a horrible review in which they took major offense to by calling me asking me to remove it to being absolutely rude. So no way now I could trust taking my car back there.

With the Sensor codes that keep showing even after replaced I'm told it could be an Air/Fuel mixture issue? So trying to fix these before someone quotes me a huge price on what it is and yet still not the issue

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
The hissing noise sounds like a vacuum leak which would give you a lousy idle but not noticeable during acceleration & driving around. It might be something as simple as the hose from the PCV valve to the intake.....Since it's under the engine cover it would be visibly noticeable...
Keep us posted..

·
9 Second Club
32,307 Posts
I thought you said it didn't throw a code ? Its odd its the front 02 sensors on both sides though.... I would make sure they are seated properly and also make sure they are not rub on the exhaust. I had Speedlogix install headers and they decided to leave the 02 sensor wire sitting on the exhaust and it melted right through.

The car will run rough if the front 02s are not reading properly

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought you said it didn't throw a code ? Its odd its the front 02 sensors on both sides though.... I would make sure they are seated properly and also make sure they are not rub on the exhaust. I had Speedlogix install headers and they decided to leave the 02 sensor wire sitting on the exhaust and it melted right through.

The car will run rough if the front 02s are not reading properly
Initially the codes went off after I had installed the 02 sensors now they're back on. Had codes read and it keeps saying HO2S. Had them clear it and it came back. Sensors in place no wires touching. My exhaust even seems like its sputtering now?

Just didn't want to take to dodge and pay over $100 for them to say its _____ and I could have already bought the parts and installed for that price!

·
9 Second Club
32,307 Posts
Well, its something to do with either the sensors or wires. What you are describing the car doing seems typical of a front 02 issue

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, its something to do with either the sensors or wires. What you are describing the car doing seems typical of a front 02 issue
I'm wondering could it be because I used Bosch O2 sensors instead of ones from the dealer? Would this affect it?

Is there a way to tell if the EGR is bad although its not throwing codes?

·
9 Second Club
32,307 Posts
I'm wondering could it be because I used Bosch O2 sensors instead of ones from the dealer? Would this affect it?

Is there a way to tell if the EGR is bad although its not throwing codes?

I am not sure, but I do know not all sensors are compatible.....

But I "think" I have used Bosch on mine with no issue

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Codes thrown possible pcm

Ok after being busy I haven't been able to work on my vehicle sooner or get it checked. However just today I did replace the EGR VALVE, checked throttle body and I have been getting codes. Even after clearing codes I'm getting the following codes.

P0031
P0037
P0051
P0057

I checked the codes and seen that these all deal with heater circuit low etc. Seems to be a problem many have had with their PCM. Can't think of any other issues as even the wiring harness for the 02 sensor is fine. Also noticed this problem happened after I installed my HID kit just as another forum member did and shorted his pcm, I think i've done the same!

I want to repalce the PCM as it seems really easy. However the money for a new PCM is crazy. Can I purchase a PCM from a junkyard and use this? Or does every PCM have to be "flashed" for each certain vehicle?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts