Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello folks
2007 Dodge Charger RT

-I only have one key/remote (getting another)
-some red light on the left side near the check engine icon kept blinking

My car cranks up for about two seconds and shuts itself off. My little girl had hit the panic button on the remote after slobbering on it in her mouth. The inside of the remote had spit in it so we cleaned it out. At first the car would crank and go off and for an hour it wouldn't crank at all, then it desides to crank so I could drive it home about 5 miles away. When I got home it now wants to shut off after two seconds.

Any help!!!!!! I was wondering if I disconnected the battery the system would reset???

· Registered
5,022 Posts
Cant help you but I am sure someone else can!

· Registered
14,713 Posts
LOL kids are great aren't they I know I have 5 kids. But thats another day You should have another key fob I'd leave the slobered one at home and try the one that did not get the treatment also you could take the battery out of that one and see if it helps.

· Registered
7,472 Posts
hmmm the key/remote may have been wet on the inside.... open it and let it dry our...or lightly dry with hairdryer....

it may be making contact with the panic button is something is bent...

try another key ...or take the battery out of the key/remote and leave out for acouple minutes...

and as you mentioned maybe disconnect battery and let system reset...

(the battery in the key/remote could be bad also...try and replace that.... sounds like the secuirty system isnt reading the chip in the key now...)

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Car cranks up fine now without me having to do the battery. I am off to the dealership to purchase another key.

The dealership told me that our factory warranty doesn't cover the key replacement ($140.00 key/$70.00 programming) because it is not considered a functioning part of the car....What crap is this? I am mad as hell right now!!!

Then they told me that I couldn't by any other key at a cheaper cost for them to program.

· Registered
5,022 Posts
Thats b.s. check with a local lock smith. Thats what I did and I think I paid $75.00 total for the key and for him to program. Took a total of 5 minutes!

· Registered
423 Posts
Come on now, Chrysler didn't slobber in your key fob. So how could you ask them to warranty the key, they don't warrant flood damage to the car ether. So if you drove in a river you would really be mad.lol By the way I've purchased a couple of them off of ebay and the seller used my vin # to program them, I think I gave $70.00 for the last one.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I didn't tell them about the slob. I called and asked them was the key covered under warranty and they told me no. I figured this is messed up if your key starts to act up on its own and you find yourself stranded. A couple members have told me that their cars wouldn't start at all due to the transponder acting up in the key fob.

· Registered
2,481 Posts
Glad you got her going again... We only have one key as well. We do have a blank to get in....
Thats b.s. check with a local lock smith. Thats what I did and I think I paid $75.00 total for the key and for him to program. Took a total of 5 minutes!
Thats good to know. My wife got a blank made at the local hardware store. The guy said he could make her a programmed one but was out of those keys. I thought he was full of it and never went back to see. Maybe he knew what he was talking about after all....:eek: His price would have been 60 something, close to 70 for the programmed key...

I believe you can program them yourself. I'll see what I can find out.
You have to already have two programmed keys to be able to program a third on your own...

· Registered
415 Posts
Ryval ahd a post on here about this. The video he made was called "How to steal my 07 Charger" and it is on youtube. Basically without the transponder in the key your engine will shut off after 2 seconds.

· H-D 883 IRON
12,773 Posts
There is no way they should charge you for the programming. And you can get keys cheaper than that. Programming takes about 2 mins and most of that time is getting to the proper screen in the scanner. Don't let them snow you:TU:

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea, but there's not much I can do around here but get snowed on. I called every key maker in my area and they are all ripoffs, higher than the dealership.(one guy told me $250 for the key itself) I found numerous keys way cheaper than the dealership online but when I told the dealership this they said they wouldn't program any other keys than their own. I might have to wait till I go out of town to N.C. and see if I can get a better deal.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys!!

I got the service director on the phone and he told me he was sorry for whoever told me that only keys bought from them could be programmed. I can bring them any key that's made for my car but I will still have to pay the programming fee of $70.00 (the $70 covers any amount of keys I bring at the time)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.