Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 charger R/T and it won’t start. When I try to start it, it makes one clicking noise and I have tested the battery so it’s good. What I think it is is the starter but I’m not sure. The first time I tried to start it this morning it shot a bunch of random lights then it went back to normal except would not start. Can someone explain what else it could be I’m not sure the difference if it’s the starter relay or starter itself and not sure why a newer car would have this problem so early.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Is the one click coming from the front fuse box (starter relay) or from the starter itself (starter solenoid)?
As suggested, load test the battery to make sure it has the 300+ amps needed to power the starter motor. Simple voltage check does not always detect cold cranking battery problems. Does the car start if it's jumped from an external source?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It did not start when I tried to jump it and the crank is coming from the starter I believe it’s just one click when I try to turn it on and another when I turn it off. I haven’t tried a load test on the battery but the car is saying it’s getting the 12v at least on the cluster in the dashboard.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Could be a relay or stuck starter solenoid.
Either will give a click both on & off.
If you can reach it, try tapping the solenoid to free it.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Also check the wiring harness/connectors attached to the starter.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Check and clean battery terminals. If you can get to the starter with a long extension, lightly tap on it to reset the bendix. If you can't do that, use a breaker bar on the crank bolt and rotate the engine counter clockwise to release it. Try it again with the key. It sounds like you have a low battery or the starter is bad. If jump starting from the battery itself doesn't help, most likely it's the starter. If you are jump starting it from the engine fuse box/strut tower, it probably won't make mich difference. These cars are hard to jump start with the battery in the trunk. It takes a really good battery to start these cars. Jump starting for a few seconds or minutes is not good enough. I'd pull the battery and take it to a parts store and have them check/charge it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2019 charger R/T and it won’t start. When I try to start it, it makes one clicking noise and I have tested the battery so it’s good. What I think it is is the starter but I’m not sure. The first time I tried to start it this morning it shot a bunch of random lights then it went back to normal except would not start. Can someone explain what else it could be I’m not sure the difference if it’s the starter relay or starter itself and not sure why a newer car would have this problem so early.
Again we all have the same problems lol it sucks. So first question, did you have recalls(airbags, ignition & keyfobs)? I had to have all that replaced on mine by the dealership bc it was a recall. I also have a brand new battery. That’s all worked great eh until today(so a couple weeks) again u can take out the windshield wiper relay and put it in the what everyone is calling the starter relay(top middle relay) and it should start to get you where you need to go. Well the past couple days I’ve noticed when I start my car the headlights flicker which makes me sick lol bc I now know I need a starter. Boooo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts