Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh how I had this frustration for two days. It started when my wife went out and called me that the car would not start. I drove over with jumper cables to jump the car. When I got there I noticed everything would turn on except the radio and the a/c. I would turn the key and I could hear the relays click and blower turn on but it would not turn over. So I still tried to jump it. Well guess what it didn't work. So knowing a little about car electronics working in the car audio field when I was younger I knew the acc wasn't turning on. I told my wife it's the ignition but just incase I'll change the battery. Guess what!? It wasn't the battery. So I jump in the car and start playing with the ignition and finally noticed that the key turned loosely. No click from lock to acc to on or to start. So a friend comes over and we take the ignition switch out. A part was broken in it called the ignition switch actuator which I later found out. This part is about 40 dollars online. Dorman# 924 739 . We also rigged the ignition to where it thinks the key is turning it on by leaving the tumbler connected and the switch connected and using a screw driver to turn the switch and the key to turn the tumbler so it can read the key. Long story short I saved myself a big headache and if your car is doing this I hope I save you one too!

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
How we got it to turn on

This is how we got it to turn on until the part comes in. Just remember the key still need to be turned to on or start I forgot.

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
that you for sharing your info, i don't understand it completely but it's very very interesting. hope this problem never invades my life because i really hate messing with electronics in my car. can you elaborate more in layman's terms so that i can understand this better please? i really want to learn this, possibly useless, info just in case. :D:D:D:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry let me rephrase

What happened was the ignition switch broke internally. That's why the key felt loose. There is a part that can be replaced if it the part broken. You have to take it apart. Now if it ever happens you have to take the ignition apart and keep them plugged up. With a screw driver you turn over the ignition switch and turn your key in the ignition so it can read.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oh how I had this frustration for two days. It started when my wife went out and called me that the car would not start. I drove over with jumper cables to jump the car. When I got there I noticed everything would turn on except the radio and the a/c. I would turn the key and I could hear the relays click and blower turn on but it would not turn over. So I still tried to jump it. Well guess what it didn't work. So knowing a little about car electronics working in the car audio field when I was younger I knew the acc wasn't turning on. I told my wife it's the ignition but just incase I'll change the battery. Guess what!? It wasn't the battery. So I jump in the car and start playing with the ignition and finally noticed that the key turned loosely. No click from lock to acc to on or to start. So a friend comes over and we take the ignition switch out. A part was broken in it called the ignition switch actuator which I later found out. This part is about 40 dollars online. Dorman# 924 739 . We also rigged the ignition to where it thinks the key is turning it on by leaving the tumbler connected and the switch connected and using a screw driver to turn the switch and the key to turn the tumbler so it can read the key. Long story short I saved myself a big headache and if your car is doing this I hope I save you one too!
Same here. would not start. thought it was battery....battery good. thought it might be the ingnition switch...no. turned out it was the key fob. wow

1 - 7 of 7 Posts