Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been quite some time since my car died and I still haven't got to the bottom of it. I was cruising at about 55 MPH when I lost all power with no warning lights. It has not restarted since. It turns over but will not start. I noticed before the car died the previous week the RPMS were bouncing up and down from about 1500-2000. The car would also shake pretty bad in that RPM range at about 55 MPH. I have taken the throttle body off and cleaned it. It did not fix the problem how ever I noticed when I turn the key to the on position the ETC (electronic throttle control) makes a terrible clicking noise. The red lightning bolt on my dash also appears sometimes. Do you think getting a new throttle body will fix my car? Any advice or comments are greatly appreciated. THANK YOU!!!
68302384_706812756424819_829495052580421632_n.jpg
67564240_934602970220625_5542577547990007808_n.jpg
67552901_368424243846760_6923136854770319360_n.jpg

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
You didn't post any of the codes the car had logged ... so there may be some clues in the logs. However, that's got to be the worst throttle body condition I have seen. I assume the photo is before the cleaning & not after the cleaning. I really don't see how you could get that throttle body clean & still have it function afterwards. The throttle body includes the idle position sensor, throttle control motor, etc... The harsh cleaning needed to get that carbon removed will typically damage the sensors, etc... I recommend a new throttle body & O-ring.
The dealership performs a ETC Relearn procedure after replacing a throttle body. If the relearn is not preformed, a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) will be set and the car may run rough until the ETC Relearn procedure is performed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You didn't post any of the codes the car had logged ... so there may be some clues in the logs. However, that's got to be the worst throttle body condition I have seen. I assume the photo is before the cleaning & not after the cleaning. I really don't see how you could get that throttle body clean & still have it function afterwards. The throttle body includes the idle position sensor, throttle control motor, etc... The harsh cleaning needed to get that carbon removed will typically damage the sensors, etc... I recommend a new throttle body & O-ring.
The dealership performs a ETC Relearn procedure after replacing a throttle body. If the relearn is not preformed, a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) will be set and the car may run rough until the ETC Relearn procedure is performed.
The car is not logging any codes. That is what is making it difficult about finding the problem. I cleaned the throttle body and made it look brand new however this still did not fix the problem. I ordered a new throttle body so I'm going to put it on and cross my fingers. The ETC relearn process can be preformed by me correct? Doesn't it have something to do with the gas pedal and the key?

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I'm only aware of the ETC Relearn diagnostic used by the dealership. There may be a hack for doing it yourself on a 2007 Charger but I have never used it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm only aware of the ETC Relearn diagnostic used by the dealership. There may be a hack for doing it yourself on a 2007 Charger but I have never used it.
Today I installed the new throttle body and still the car will not start. When I press the gas pedal the throttle body does not open nor does it open when I try to start the car. This is obviously why the car is not starting (No Air). The next thing that I can think of is the Accelerator Pedal Sensor. If that is not working then it is not sending the signal to the ETC to open the throttle body.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Today I installed the new throttle body and still the car will not start. When I press the gas pedal the throttle body does not open nor does it open when I try to start the car. This is obviously why the car is not starting (No Air). The next thing that I can think of is the Accelerator Pedal Sensor. If that is not working then it is not sending the signal to the ETC to open the throttle body.
I installed the Accelerator Pedal sensor today and the car STILL will not start. However the throttle body is now moving when I press the gas pedal and the car gave me two codes. P0113 (Intake air temperature sensor circuit high) and P0123 (Throttle pedal position sensor circuit high). Now what do I do? ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED o_O

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
P0123 (Throttle pedal position sensor circuit high) is set when the Throttle Position Sensor voltage is greater than 4.8 volts.

P0113 (Intake air temperature sensor circuit high) is set when the Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor circuit voltage at the PCM goes above 4.98 volts.

The PCM sends out the 5V supply voltage to the sensors and the sensors then send a signal voltage back to the PCM. The signal voltage back to PCM varies depending on the sensor (e.g. 0.5V to 4.5V is the range for the throttle position sensor).

There could be some wiring harness circuits that are shorted to battery voltage or shorted to the PCM 5V supply voltage. The sensor circuits could also be open (check for bad/loose grounds).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m having the same problem. I had rolled over something n my etc come on but I was still driving. I got home check the hood n some how some way it had came off n once I put it back on n tried to start the car it wasn’t working. Tomorrow I’m about to try to get a diagnostic test cause I don’t know what’s the problem. I’m not a mechanic I just pick up on thing n try it. So if you figured it out please let me know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts