Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals - newbie here
Have a 2014 AWD v8 R/T Charger until last weekend when I had a little accident - see picture attached. Unfortunately it was my fault as I slowed down approaching some traffic lights as they were changing to green, but not quite enough as I ran into the car ahead. I estimate that I was only travelling at about 30 - 40 mph and ran into the back of a Jeep that sustained only minor damage and was able to drive away no problem. I was pulling a trailer with an ATV on - not a good ending to a great day.

Question - the damage to my car seems excessive, as the airbags did not deploy. Thankfully no one was injured. Insurance company have now totalled the vehicle as the engine has moved backwards and estimates to repair are in excess of $15k. Absolutely gutted as I specifically chose this car after running a similar 2011 Charger without AWD and with the snow in Michigan this was not fun. Similar cars seem a rare as rocking horse sh*t.

- has anyone else had similar experience with large damage from a minor shunt - seems unreal that they will not repair the car?
- should I persevere and try and find the same replacement car? need one quickish as my rental runs out next weekend and I need a car for work. Looked on Autotrader and only 6 similar vehicles within 200 miles
- Thoughts on replacing with a newer v6, with lots of toys but not sure of the and noticeability of loss of power. I have had fun (not) in my rental Rav4!

Any help/guidance gratefully received.

Attachments

·
Registered
945 Posts
First off, a belated welcome to the Colonies.

Airbag deployment is not a reliable indicator of the severity of a given crash. From the NHTSA's website:

"The activation of an air bag in a crash is dependent on several important factors including: the characteristics of the crash (e.g., speed, other vehicles involved, impact direction); the individual vehicle air bag system's design strategy; and the crash sensor locations. Air bags are not intended to deploy in all crashes. There may be circumstances when an air bag does not deploy."

The damage in your photo seems remarkably minor for a 30-40 MPH collision. You have to consider that everything forward of the firewall is meant to fold up like a three-dollar suitcase in order to absorb as much of the energy of a crash as possible in order to protect the passenger compartment.

The criteria for declaring a vehicle a total loss varies from insurer to insurer, but it's common to declare a vehicle a total loss even though repair cost is estimated as no more than 75% of the actual cash value.

You may be able to negotiate with your insurer to repair the car, based on what you claim is its relative rarity, and they might agree to do so. If not, you might want to consider having the body shop of your choice give you a cash (not paid by insurance) estimate to repair the car. Then if the insurance company refuses to repair the car, you should be able to accept payment of the car's ACV, buy it from the insurance company for its salvage value, have it fixed, and Robert's your father's brother.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply - it's a sad day in our household. I checked with the body shop and they said due to the engine being pushed back, damaged exhausts etc that the car is beyond repair.
I thought these cars were indestructible! Had a second opinion and that was also to not repair as the total cost would probably be in line with the car's value. Very disappointing not to be able to repair - I guess we need to move on and find a replacement.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thanks for the reply - it's a sad day in our household. I checked with the body shop and they said due to the engine being pushed back, damaged exhausts etc that the car is beyond repair.
I thought these cars were indestructible! Had a second opinion and that was also to not repair as the total cost would probably be in line with the car's value. Very disappointing not to be able to repair - I guess we need to move on and find a replacement.
Well the dealers really want the ‘19s off the lot or if you want to spend the money the ‘20s are on the way. Make a bad deal a good one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts