Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an almost new, 200+K mile, 2006 Dodge Charger RT. A few years ago, when I bought the car, the engine dropped a valve seat. At that time, I had my original engine rebuilt to factory specs, as my motor shop did not want to even put a better cam in it (go figure).

In PA, the emissions standard goes away on my car in 2 years and I am looking to make a better engine for the car and put the other one away somewhere.

What should i start with to build an engine for it (block, heads, etc.)? I don't drive much, my new Challenger has less than 5K on it since last year. I already have a spare 5.7 in the garage and a core 5.7 as well. I want to eventually put a supercharger on her at some point as well.

My previous experience was a 454 BBC that I was building with an 8-71 blower, that is until someone carried the engine out of my garage window (3 feet off the ground).

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
That's a determined thief if they lifted a 454ci with a 8-71 blower out a window.

Since you plan to supercharge the engine, building your new 5.7 should start with the goal of supercharging. If you're going to go with forced induction build the engine as a FI engine. Forged rotating assembly - decide if you're going to stroke it when you order the rotating assembly. Forged pistons with the correct rings for FI. Are your spare 5.7 engines 2009+ assemblies? Dodge redesigned the 5.7 in 2009 (code name "Eagle"). Eagle heads have improved air flow. Eagle engines also have VVT (variable valve timing). Cam selection will need to factor-in VVT & FI. You will want to eliminate MDS with FI and replace the MDS lifters with non-MDS lifters.
If your spare 5.7 engines are pre-2009 you will want to purchase better heads ... both for air flow and because the pre-Eagle heads have a reputation for valve failure.

Reactions: HemiLonestar

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, they were determined. They had to remove the solid iron bars off the windows too for removal. Conveniently none of the city's security cameras saw it either.

The full engine I have is from my last 2006 that got totaled. I am not sure of the year of the core, I would guess that it is pre-VVT also though.

I kind of figured on all forged, due to the FI. The biggest issue I see is the heads, valves, etc. Any recommended heads? I've seen a lot on them but it tends to be all over the place from swapping 6.1 heads etc.

I want her running efficiently, she deserves it.

The MDS delete is a gimme for me either way as I believe when the engine was replaced, someone screwed up my MDS system. No one, not even the dealer, can tell me what is wrong with my car and was told that this is just how the Chargers drive. Funny how my second one I bought for parts, which just needed the right oil put in it rather than the engine the previous owner was told, NEVER had the driveability issue that this one does.

I have, literally replaced almost all mechanical parts with the exception of the differential at this point. I just was never happy with the engine rebuild experience.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts