Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed the oil in my 2018 Charger 392 for the first time (at 3000 mi). All went well until I got to installing the new oil filter, which was an OEM Mopar replacement. I somehow got confused with the picture-symbols on the filter can trying to tell how to do it, and mistook the pic for screwing on the filter as telling to tighten it 1 turn (after the gasket contacts the base). When I got to 1/2 turn the filter felt plenty tight, but wanting to follow instructions, I proceeded to tighten to a full turn + . I had to use a wrench with considerable torque to do this. Having had past experience and seen plenty of readings about the hazards to too-tight oil filters (they are impossible to get off w/o extraordinary measures ... I once had to cut off the can and use a pipe wrench around the base plate to get off) I began contemplating on what wrong I might have done? But I decided that if that's what the instructions said, then it must be OK. So I proceeded to finish the job, putting in the new oil, starting the engine for a few minutes to check for leaks, and then replacing the under-cover. And that's where I am now. Since then I have discovered from watching several You-tube videos on changing Charger oil that the proper tightening of the oil filter is 1/2 turn, and that did feel about right when I was tightening on the way to one full turn. So now I am convinced that I have overtightened the filter, and I am in a quandary on what do now? Should I

leave well-enough alone and not worry about it until the next oil change, whereupon I will take to the dealer? My concern here is might the over-tight filter gasket fail in time, especially in the heat, and I suddenly develop a leak?
go back under the car and try to back off the filter 1/2 turn? Again, I only ran the motor for a few minutes with the over-tight filter, so heat effects at this point should not be a factor. If I am able to back off OK, will that possibly make more likely to leak?
replace the oil filter altogether. It looks like the filter is positioned far enough above the crankcase so that if I drop the filter I would only lose the oil in the filter plus whatever is in the "pipeline," and nothing from the crankcase?
I would greatly appreciate your expertise, knowledge, and experience on this problem.
Thank you, Suisun-Sue

·
Registered
602 Posts
I would take the filter off and replace it with a new one, installed hand-tight. It isn't worth jeopardizing your warranty coverage for a five-dollar oil filter. You shouldn't lose very much if any oil doing so, other than what's in the filter. You can top it off afterwards.

Incidentally, you're changing the oil for the first time on a two or three year old Charger?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
So what is the problem? Are you worried it's too tight? As long as it doesn't leak, just leave it alone. Why'd you change it at 3K anyway. Mine says 6K or 6 months.

·
Registered
396 Posts
got my '13 back from the dealer for a recall [wheel chocks !!??] and O&F...parked it in the garage...next day biggg puddle of oil on the Racetech floor from an undertightened filter...not a happy camper....leave it alone 'till next time....If you overtightened and damaged the fitting that the filter screws onto it can be replaced for a few bucks no problem...

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
The fitting has a hex socket in the center it can be installed /removed with.
They are secured with a thread locker compound.
If you have to go after it and manage to break it loose, work it back and forth as you thread it out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I always hand tighten mine more than 1/2. Did a 1/2 turn once and I had oil spraying everywhere after my second drive. Probably going to be fine my friend. I usually get it on as tight as I can by hand and then use an oil filter wrench to get it off next time with minimal effort. No issues since that under tightening episode.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My opinion is take the filter back off, if its not dammaged and the o ring is still ok , clean the outside for grip and put it back in as tight as you can with your hands, fire it up check for leaks. Job done. If the filter or the o-ring are damaged replace the filter. If you leave it alone, you take the risk of having trouble when you change your oil next time with removal of the filter. I totally understand changing at 3000 miles for your first change, I would have probably done it even sooner for the initial change. Thats just my opinion. The oil change frequency varies with type of driving, temperature, environment and fuel type you use, along with other things. If you want to find out specifically the condition of your oil, you can catch a clean sample and send it in to have it evaluated. It may be over kill but I change mine every 3000 miles and I use synthetic oil. I know it will last longer than conventional, but I live in Texas, I drive it hard and 93 octane is all I use for gas. I just want to be sure I’m torturing my engine by using all the oil life. Many will argue with my post, again it just my opinion. Id rather spend money on oil and filters than rod bearings and machine work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Leave the filter alone now. I have only ever used the oil filter wrench to remove my filter. Hand tighten on every car I've had, mate.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I always hand tighten. I’m not that strong so I then turn it 1/4 turn more with a filter wrench. If you turned it a whole turn, it could split the gasket. It will also be very hard to remove after you drive it the next 3,000 miles. You should definitely change your oil and filter more often then every 3 years even if you have low miles on it. The factory may say every 6,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. You also will have to prove that you follow the recommended maintenance schedule for your warranty in case you ever have a problem with your engine. Keep all receipts

1 - 9 of 9 Posts