Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 charger RT Super Track Pak. After about 6 months of ownership, I noticed that every now and then my car would stumble a little while trying to start after refueling.

This ONLY happens at the fuel pump as soon as i'm done refueling. ALL other times, it starts no problem. I usually forget about it until it happens again on the next fuel-up, but the other day it failed to start 3 times. It has slowly gotten worse and worse over time, but sometimes it fires up no problem.

I haven't paid attention to what gas station company it happens at, so I doubt there is a trend because I usually just fill up wherever I am.

This is extremely embarrassing and I'm worried I'm going to end up stranded someday.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Years ago the earlier model Dodge Chargers (2006 MY) had a similar problem (fuel vapor recovery system failure following refueling). The fuel system allowed an overfill condition after refueling and that caused the engines to stall when the vehicle was stopped or traveling at low speeds.
Recommendation was to not top-off the tank. You can refuel with the gas nozzle at a slow flow rate so it doesn't fill so high when the nozzle's trigger releases.
For the 2006 models the problem was traced to a multi function control valve fuel shutoff float in the fuel tank. The float could get into a stuck open position, allowing an overfill condition. For the 2006 models, Chrysler extended the warranty on the fuel tank to lifetime coverage.

If you have a OBD2/CAN scanner, you can scan to see if any diagnostic codes are being logged.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have a 2017 charger RT Super Track Pak. After about 6 months of ownership, I noticed that every now and then my car would stumble a little while trying to start after refueling.

This ONLY happens at the fuel pump as soon as i'm done refueling. ALL other times, it starts no problem. I usually forget about it until it happens again on the next fuel-up, but the other day it failed to start 3 times. It has slowly gotten worse and worse over time, but sometimes it fires up no problem.

I haven't paid attention to what gas station company it happens at, so I doubt there is a trend because I usually just fill up wherever I am.

This is extremely embarrassing and I'm worried I'm going to end up stranded someday.
We regret to hear this happening to your car! Are you currently working with an authorized dealer for further diagnosis? If you need help with anything, you're more than welcome to PM us more details and we'd be glad to look into it.

Steph
DodgeCares

1 - 3 of 3 Posts