Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so recently I've been driving and my car has been running fine. Car has a new engine, water pump, starter, etc.

Well today I was pulling out to go to work and my car starting acting sluggish. Car began to shake a bit, engine light came on and I cut it off. I started it back up and took it to a Oil shop that can read codes, since its right on my block. They were getting codes

P0031 & P0037 (H20S)
Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit Low
I believe it was Sensor 1 bank 1 and sensor 1 bank 2? If I recall correct.

I am just curious has anyone else had these issues or similar problems from these codes? Would these sensors effect the cars performance like that? Also was it a expensive repair? are there any write ups on how to change these yourself? Thank you!

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've never actually changed an O2 sensor, but generally speaking, they can cause the car to run bad. The upstream sensor reads the exhaust coming from the engine, the down stream reads the exhaust after it has been thru the cat. The differences in the readings returned causes the PCM to adjust timing and fuel/air mix to programed levels in order to try to get the correct readings from each sensor. If the sensors are returning bad information, the PCM tries to cmopensate, and the engine may run rough, sputter, stutter, etc.

From what I understand, they are fairly easy to replace yourself. There is a special socket or wrench that makes the job a lot easier since it has an opening for the wire dongle to pass through. Also, make sure you get original Chrysler O2 sensors; a lot of the "compatable" aftermarket ones will throw codes as well. The sensors just screw into a bung on the exhaust pipes before and after the cats.

Something to check before replacing them; since you say you just had the engine replaced, make sure the wire harness is secure to the sensors, and verify the harness has been routed away from the exhaust pipes - they may have come in contact with a hot pipe and melted and shorted the wires. Also, if this has occured, you may want to check the fuses for the O2 heaters. The O2 heaters are used to heat the gases passing over the sensor until the engine warms up enough to where the gases are hot enough.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never actually changed an O2 sensor, but generally speaking, they can cause the car to run bad. The upstream sensor reads the exhaust coming from the engine, the down stream reads the exhaust after it has been thru the cat. The differences in the readings returned causes the PCM to adjust timing and fuel/air mix to programed levels in order to try to get the correct readings from each sensor. If the sensors are returning bad information, the PCM tries to cmopensate, and the engine may run rough, sputter, stutter, etc.

From what I understand, they are fairly easy to replace yourself. There is a special socket or wrench that makes the job a lot easier since it has an opening for the wire dongle to pass through. Also, make sure you get original Chrysler O2 sensors; a lot of the "compatable" aftermarket ones will throw codes as well. The sensors just screw into a bung on the exhaust pipes before and after the cats.

Something to check before replacing them; since you say you just had the engine replaced, make sure the wire harness is secure to the sensors, and verify the harness has been routed away from the exhaust pipes - they may have come in contact with a hot pipe and melted and shorted the wires. Also, if this has occured, you may want to check the fuses for the O2 heaters. The O2 heaters are used to heat the gases passing over the sensor until the engine warms up enough to where the gases are hot enough.

Hope this helps.

Thanx for the reply. I was curious because i've seen others post that if an O2 sensor goes bad that it has no actual affect on the car besides loss of MPG. That an O2 sensor wouldn't cause car to stall? So was wondering since it is a new engine etc what else could it be if no other codes were shown. So I will be replacing them tomorrow and we'll see!!! Thanx again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts