Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how to change the climate control lights? Ive tried searching around with no luck

·
Registered
973 Posts
I'm not sure if they are LEDs... mine seem to look like clear indiglo plastic with a backlight.

i don't think that you have seen any posts on it because no one has done it yet. if you take the initiative and figure it out, be sure ot let the rest of us know.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure if they are LEDs... mine seem to look like clear indiglo plastic with a backlight.

i don't think that you have seen any posts on it because no one has done it yet. if you take the initiative and figure it out, be sure ot let the rest of us know.

Ok so I took apart my climate control :box2:

They are indeed LEDs, I will post pics in a few, maybe you guys can help me find the right ones to order for this.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Heres the board with the leds and the back of the bezel.

The big blue looking things are the main leds (Im making this logical assumption) and the black rubber strip you see running in the middle houses three of the small leds used in the steering wheel(Surface Mount PLCC-2). The bigger leds get inserted into the clear plastic you see behind where the knobs go. The light runs through the plastic and is tranmitted to the front through the white rings that are under the clear plastic. Again Im just coming up with this as I go so if theres anything someone else can clear up please do so.

Here you can see the bigger leds with the blue on them and the rubber strip with the small leds under it.

So what Ive come up with is there are three PLCC-2 leds that need to be replaced. The bigger ones are what I believe are (from what I read in a thread in which a 300c changed these lights) wedge leds type b or c (you can see those bulbs here http://autolumination.com/74.htm). Type B is 10mm and Type C is 12mm. Im not sure exactly on this so I will be ordering five of each unless someone chimes in on it. All of these need to be soldered on. If anyone has any more information on this please post!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome, thank you

·
Registered
24 Posts
anytime i used transparent monokote, then other did their gauge cluster in "gel paper" after doing my gauges with the gel paper i plan on redoing them all the same with it, the gel paper is alot more clear, easier to work with, and comes in just as many if not more colors, i picked up the dj party pack from guitar center for like 24 bucks i think, although you can order larger sheets of just one color cheaper..... heres another link in case you decide to do the gauges as well....i find that you have to cuz otherwise you have like 3 different color lights through out the car and i can't stand that
http://www.chargerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=74114
very good write up and even a fricken template....don't get much easier :TU: enjoy

·
Registered
973 Posts
if I feel ambitious enough tomorrow I'll open my 3 dial one and see what the LEDs are like under that one

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I already have some gel paper coming in the mail, 14% red. After I do my gauges ill try to use whats left over and see how it comes out.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
I already changed mine to LED but I used a different type of LED than the surface mount ones i used for my steering wheel controls. So tomorrow I am going to change out the climate control ones and put in the surface mount LED's so the color matches. Ill post up pics and Ill do another "How to".

Punkrock did a good job with the monokote but for me since I want blue, its hard for the light to shine through so it looks really dim. I have tried everything from removing the rubber boots on the original bulbs and adding blue monokote (light was dim), then I changed the clear bulbs to blue bulbs and took off the monokote (light was still dim), then I switched out to regular blue LED's which were much better but didnt match the blue LED's I had in my steering wheel controls. Now I am going to do the surface mount ones. Also, if you use the regular LED's you would have to shave the top of them down since the viewing angle on them are very narrow. When you shave them down it will widen the angle of the light and eliminate the "hot spots" and make the light even through the whole panel. Here is a pic of the LED's next to each other, one is shaved and one is normal...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So youre going to be using the same surface mounts as the steering wheel in place of where these bulbs are? Is the spacing good enough for a direct swap and will you be using resistors at all?

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
So youre going to be using the same surface mounts as the steering wheel in place of where these bulbs are? Is the spacing good enough for a direct swap and will you be using resistors at all?
Yeah Im gonna try to use the same surface mount LEDs as i did in the steering wheel controls. The spacing looks like it is a little farther apart so I might have to solder leads onto the LED and then solder the leads to the board. Im gonna try it without a resistor first. I tested the steering wheel controls and they are only dropping 2.5V across the LED and the LEDs i have in the climate control right now are rated to 4V and they didnt blow out so Im assuming it would be OK. I guess there is only one way to find out, lol.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
ok i gotta use resistors. I put them on without resistors and they all popped. So I am going to try with 470ohm resistors like I used on the regular LEDs

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Ok i put 470ohm resistors on each of the surface mount LEDs and it works like a charm. I put the resistor on the negative side of the LED (the side that has a little notch on it) and used a pic I found on another forum that shows the polarity of the board. Here is the pic that shows polarity....

Note that this setup is for early 2006 previous with the dual climate controls.

Here is the surface mount LED with resistor mounted on the board....

Here is the outcome...

·
Registered
560 Posts
way to take modding and personal touches to the next level!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
i had a light go out behind the temp controls under warrenty and had it replaced as a unit but now that im outta that safety i will keep this post for when i need to fix a burnt out light

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Liljoejoe you are the man. I ended up using the scraps from the film I used on the dash and am using that for now. I have 10 more surface mount LEDs coming in the mail so Ill go and pick up some resistors tomorrow. Whats under the seat warmer buttons? Havent taken them out yet. Heres what mine is looking like right now

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Liljoejoe you are the man. I ended up using the scraps from the film I used on the dash and am using that for now. I have 10 more surface mount LEDs coming in the mail so Ill go and pick up some resistors tomorrow. Whats under the seat warmer buttons? Havent taken them out yet. Heres what mine is looking like right now

Dude that is looking really good! :TU:

The seat heaters were actually very easy to change. Give me a few seconds and I will search for the pic I used to show the polarity. I used surface mount LEDs for the seat heaters as well. Make sure you use resistors too.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Ok for under the seat warmer buttons, they have the same light bulbs that were in the climate control, you can take that apart and pull the blue rubber boot off the bulb and use the monokote to change the color of you can put in the surface mount LEDs. I didnt take any pics of my setup but I might go ahead and take mine back out so I can take pics of it. Here is a pic showing the polarity and also a couple of pics to give you an idea of how to mount the resistor and LED's. Again, these pics arent mine, i got them from another guy who did this mod a long time ago....

What I did since its a different type of LED that I used, I mounted the resistor just like he has in the pic but I cut one end of it short and soldered it to the positive side of the board and ran it up through the hole. I then mounted the surface mount LED on of the resistor and the cut off part of the resistor. So everything under this guys orange LED is looks the same on mine except where the actual light up part of his orange LED is, I have the surface mount LED soldered in there and it is at the same height as his LED. I guess its hard for me to explain so I will try to take a pic of it tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts