Collector value of SRT's

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT8 General Discussion' started by DowntoDodge, Dec 13, 2016.

1. DowntoDodge

DowntoDodge New Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    6th Gen - 2007
    Trim?:
    SRT8
    Color?:
    Bright Silver
    So what do you guys think, will modding engines and changing exhaust destroy the collector value of these cars down the road? I would love to buy a 426, or 440 stroker kit from Arrington and host of other things but i wonder if these cars will increase value like the cudas and superbees of old. Ive pretty much parked a 2007 with 48,000 miles and its near mint, just wondering what your guy's take on it is. There was some talk about the top 10 cars to hang on to for the coming years and the challenger's were mentioned along with all SRTs.

thanks

2. BLKTOPRT

BLKTOPRT Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2016
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Ivory Pearl
    My Father in law collects classic cars and is always looking for original everything. Depending on the aftermarket part he usually uses that as a negotiating tool to get the price down. Im talking about tri 5 Chevys so not sure about future collectability of Modern Muscle cars.

3. peptobysmol

peptobysmol New Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT8
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2013
    Trim?:
    SRT8
    Color?:
    Torred
    I would tend to agree with Black Top. Collectors are usually looking for unmodified originals.

4. Texas Mopar 11

Texas Mopar 11 Mopar 11 #921 Site Supporter Level 2

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Mopar 11
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2011
    Trim?:
    Mopar11
    Color?:
    Pitch Black
    I wouldn't hesitate to modify the car and not worry about collector status. It will be 25 years or more for most of these to start appreciating in value after going through the normal cycle of depreciation for all used cars. If you invested that in markets wisely, you would get a much better return on your money. You can buy a "collector" car at some point down the road at the depreciated price. I can't count how many times I've seen collectors park a car for twenty years or hardly drive it and end up selling it at best for what the car sold new to begin with. So no return on their money at all. To each their own, but I come down on the side of driving and modifying cars for maximum personal enjoyment. The other guys are right though,as collectors want all original cars. Buy low, sell high always applies. New cars are never a good investment. Enjoy yours and down the road, buy someone else's. In the numbers these are being produced, SRT's will be out there. It will always come down to rare color combos, numbered cars, and of course Hellcats with low miles as king of the hill IMO. The big hp cars always rule among muscle car collectibles. Good luck and enjoy whatever you do.

DowntoDodge, chief455 and PF08RT like this.
  5. 702RT

702RT Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2016
    Trim?:
    Scat Pack
    Color?:
    Granite Crystal
    Yeah like Texas said i think it is way to early to tell what the market will do with the modern hemi Mopars. If you look at something like the late 80s early 90s camaraos and mustangs you can pick up a clean one all day under 10k. Things like the Buick Grand National GNX are starting to really pick up but they are super rare. I am just trying to think of some comparable 20-30 year old cars.

One thing that may help the modern hemi collector value is the fact that more and more car companies are going away from V8s, as sad as it is to say maybe in 10 years or less the V8 is obsolete and then maybe the value jumps.

DowntoDodge and Texas Mopar 11 like this.
  6. chief455

chief455 Member

Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2013
    Trim?:
    Daytona
    I've been building cars since 1978. At that time, a 10 year old anything was cheap junk. 1968 440 x6 GTX = $1500, traded for my 1969 428 SCJ Mach 1 4spd because it was faster. Blew engiine, sold $400
    Point is, as said, why store 40 grand of nice car for 25 years hoping it will be worth, what 80 grand? No way, too many of these are being built to double/triple in value during our active lifetime.
    Mod it, enjoy it. Keep the original parts so the next owner has choice to return to stock.

7. DowntoDodge

DowntoDodge New Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    6th Gen - 2007
    Trim?:
    SRT8
    Color?:
    Bright Silver
    thanks for the feedback guys, you're right. Ill mod and enjoy this car now rather then sit on it and watch it collect dust. if nothing else, ill never have to say i should have. thanks!

8. SolApathy

SolApathy ... Moderator Site Supporter Level 5

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2015
    Trim?:
    SRT8
    Color?:
    B5 Blue
    Definitely enjoy it...

9. SRT8-SC

SRT8-SC New Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Charger SRT8
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2013
    Trim?:
    SRT8
    A huge factor that is overlooked in late model cars are the controls and electronics. 25 years from now when parts are no longer available and you need a controller for the a/c, for example, these won't be worth much. Hard to appreciate in value when systems are broke and can never be fixed.
    I say that because a friend of mine has an absolutely pristine Cadillac that is 8 years old. A/c and heater controller is fried and no longer available. Dealers here in SC offer him about 10% of KBB value.
    Just my 0.02 worth.

JohnnyDollar likes this.
  10. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar New Member

Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2017
    Trim?:
    Scat Pack
    Color?:
    Granite Crystal
    This is true enough.
    First car I bought was in 1977,
    I bought a 1968 Pontiac GTO that I found sitting in the back of a used car lot for $500.00.
    I had just turned 18, and I remember the salesman asking me if I was sure that I wanted to buy it.
    All I knew was I thought it was a cool looking car. :)

I drove (the hell out of) it for 6 months, joined the army, and ended up selling it for what I paid for it and thought I did well.
    Damn, I wish I still had that car.

chief455 likes this.
  11. chief455

chief455 Member

Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2013
    Trim?:
    Daytona
    Funny, in the last year since building my Daytona, and being mid 50's, I don't want one of the cars from my past to own.
    I had them when it was affordable and fresh. Today, 60's/70's cars just look dated. And cost to own = forget it. Been there, done that I guess.
    I do realize the regret of selling certain, special cars though.
    So the 1 of 997 made 2004 Marauder which I supercharged and beefed front to back, and now my 6.4 swapped #1763 Daytona will not be sold, until I can't drive.
    That said, doubtful that rarity, cult lust, or appreciation will make profit on most of these cars but Hellcat and Demon.
    Drive 'em hard, keep it nice, sell it if you crave something else. They will be around if you want to buy back in.

12. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar New Member

Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2017
    Trim?:
    Scat Pack
    Color?:
    Granite Crystal
    Mostly, I just wish I had it sitting around to sell, since I see them going for big bucks even in sad condition.

I remember parts had been stripped out by the previous owner for racing (ex: the a/c had been removed).
    It had a NHRA sticker on the back window and I had to replace the windshield because of all the rock dings on it,
    probably from racing on dirt tracks. :)

13. chief455

chief455 Member

Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2013
    Trim?:
    Daytona
    Yes, I had a few that would be worth 30-50k today, bought for 2500 or less back then. but, storing and upkeep for those 35 years would have been important, and who knew?
    My transmission builder did - he bought a Superbird for like 8 grand in 1982, let it sit and rot on his front yard, and got 90k easily with some sheet metal included. And had a 68 hemi GTX - that was like a 3 grand car, he just got it running/driving recently and sold it. together, he turned them into Florida retirement property!