Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It is possible to do this with out a huge headache........I just did.

Last fall I bought a 2007 Charger with a 5.7. It is a Police package vehicle. I went that way because the price was great, the car was in very nice shape, and I like some of the Police upgrades.

The Police package vehicles come with the shifter on the column.
One of the biggest things I had to do on the inside was figure out a center console. There weren't many after market options and they all were for Police applications. I also decided I did not like the auto-stick on the column shifter. I decided I wanted to put an R/T center console and floor shifter in the vehicle. I tried to search everywhere for someone who had done the conversion from column to floor shifter and I could not find any help. I decided to order the parts and figure it out myself.

I began by ordering the center console. I got it online from a salvage yard. I had trouble finding a place that had a complete console. I had to buy the shifter bezel and tray separately. Next I had to find a shifter box, this also proved complicated as not a lot of places would sell the box with the shift plate/gear indicator plate. I found one on ebay for a pretty good price. I also had to buy an ashtray.

Now I had all the parts and just had to figure out how it all went together. I was a little worried about how everything would fit and if the wiring would match up. I always had plan B of putting the column shifter back on. I started by ripping apart the dash and removing the column shifter. The assembly was bolted to the column. I removed the bolts and disconnected the cable to the transmission as well as the gear lock cable. The gear lock cable locks the vehicle in park until the ignition is on. I disconnected the wiring connectors that went to the column shifter. The wiring controls gear indicator position, auto-stick, ignition lock. I noticed there was an 11 pin connector from the main wire loom to the column shifter. I looked at the floor shifter box and found it was only a 6 pin connector. This is what I was kinda worried about, the connectors weren't the same. I was able to mount the shift box and it shifted fine, now I just had to figure out the wiring. I noticed the wiring for the column shifter plugged in to the main wire loom with a 6 pin connector. I figured I needed the the wire pig-tail that plugs in to the main wire loom and then plugs in to the floor shifter box. I call the dealer and they said I had to buy a complete interior wire harness ($500) because that pig-tail was not sold separately. I called several salvage yards and no one wanted to part with just that section of the wire harness. I went to the dealer and was able to get a copy of the wiring diagram for the floor shifter. It showed the 6 pin connector and the color of wire that belonged to each pin. I found that the wire colors on the diagram matched the wire colors that were in the main wire loom. I looked at the 11 pin connector for the column shifter and found it was the same style/size as the on that plugs into the floor shifter box, it was just too long with 11 pins instead of the needed 6. I cut 5 pin positions off the 11 pin connector and made it into a 6 pin connector. I had to move some of the pins around on the connector so they would match up properly with the wiring. It plugged into the back of the floor shifter box perfectly and the other end was already plugged into the main wire loom.

With the wiring figured out I connected the shift and ignition lock cables and installed the center console.

After it was all installed I took it for a test drive. Everything worked perfectly. It shifted great and the auto-stick worked awesome. It was very nice to have the auto-stick on the floor.

I hope I didn't lose anyone one explaining the wiring part. I will try to post some pictures that will hopefully explain it a little better. The point here is to document that this will work with out too many problems. The whole converson cost me about $250. Hopefully this will help someone who is wondering if this is possible.

If anyone has any questions, don't hesitate to post them here or PM me and I will try to help.

-Joe

·
400 cubes of Goodness!!!
10,995 Posts
Great job on the conversion, I bet it will be an inspiration to a number of police package owners. :TU:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I mis-spoke in my first post......The original plug in for the column shifter is a 12 pin not an 11 pin like I mentioned earlier. Here is a picture of it. This is the one I had to cut down to a 6-pin. Sorry it's a little blurry but the only one I got before I cut it down. More pics to follow.

·
Registered
120 Posts
When I was looking for a Charger, I found several low mile, very good condition Police Pkg. cars fairly cheap. None had actually been patrol cars, all had been detective or fleet extras.

If I'm not mistaken, aren't the Police Pkg. Chargers slightly upgraded from R/T such as breaks, sway bars, etc. I know the old Crown Vics also had tranny coolers and larger alternators.

This would be a great upgrade.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I was looking for a Charger, I found several low mile, very good condition Police Pkg. cars fairly cheap. None had actually been patrol cars, all had been detective or fleet extras.

If I'm not mistaken, aren't the Police Pkg. Chargers slightly upgraded from R/T such as breaks, sway bars, etc. I know the old Crown Vics also had tranny coolers and larger alternators.

This would be a great upgrade.
You are correct. That is what drew me to the Police package. Here are some of the options my car has:

-Heavy duty brakes (bigger than viper) with dula piston calipers
-Four wheel independent performance suspension
-Performance/Upgraded steering
-ESP button (Completely turns ESP off)
-Stealth mode (Turns off all interior lights)
-Eternal oil/trans/powersteering pump coolers
-Heavy duty cooling and air conditioning
-Heavy duty alternator 160 amp
-160 mph certified speedometer

I had to sacrafice some show but this car is all go for sure. Now with the auto-stick on the floor I turn the ESP off and it rips. With the external coolers I can drive this car hard for long periods of time with no problems.

My car was a supervisor's car that was lightly used. I bought it with just under 40,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the info,,,, I am starting my conversion this weekend. I was fortunate enoiugh to get the six pin plug with the shifter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am anxious to get started on my conversion from the column to floor shifter.

I'm the proud owner of a 2007 Charger Hemi 5.7 Police Package with only 17,000 miles. There was no center console as it appears that was taken out prior to selling. My police package came with the rubber flooring and no power seats, so I'm looking for lots of things to get back some of the "show" as well as the "go"

Believe it or not, this is the ONLY forum that has a specific thread for doing this conversion. If any of you have any documentation, and pictures are extremely helpful here, it would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
230 Posts
sick... nice job dude. what are the wires, you disconnected in the 11 pin connector, for?

Reactions: DGchargerxxx

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you please help us with pictures it would aid us so much I have a 2010 Charger 5.7L one of few lucky people in the middle east to own it from the dealer with 0 mileage :) currently I have the civilian console after a long search around but really the chances of putting down the shifter was taking my mind recently I even started searching & noticed there is a difference in the transmission cable, did you meet such a thing?! & if not just let us know what we need rather than the shifter box & the decoration & the exact trick of the connector if I could buy it too from any scrap yard Joe really you would do a huge favour to tons of police pkg guys PLZ help :) thanks again for your amazing contribution to the world :D literally you would :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Funny - I hit this thread looking to go the other direction... I want column shift but was leery of purchasing a beat-up police car. (Didn't want to press my luck twice).

Sounds like there are low-mileage examples to be had that aren't quite as abused. Would anyone care to point me at some resources for picking one up? All the sites I've found advertising them for sale are charging the same as non-police models which makes me go full circle and think for the price I'd rather buy some garage queen and convert to column shift myself.

Thanks for the help!
Chris

·
Registered
2 Posts
Also resources for finding good condition steel wheels for winter tires in case I go the non-police route.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Conversion almost complete

I spent hours looking for the wiring diagrams online and had no luck. Here are the ones I got from the dealership. 12-pin is what's in the car and the 6-pin is for the new shifter. I got a center console from my local junk yard with a few calls, as well as the carpet from the vehicle they pulled the console from for $250, the shifter from ebay for $85 (new), and the plug for the shifter for $45 from http://www.factorymoparparts.com/. That's all you need. Just a note. If you're overly excited when you're at the junk yard, make sure you don't grab a shifter from a v6 model or it will put a real damper on your conversion day. hahaha Here's the wiring diagrams, just make sure you map the circuit right and you're good to go. (I just got the diagrams yesterday and am waiting for the connector harness I ordered today to arrive) If you finish before me, please let me know how it goes.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
A couple questions for ChargerJames or Joe

Thanks for the write up on the conversion. I am going to start my conversion as I assume more owners will follow. To assist myself and others in the future,can you provide info on the following important questions?

1. Did you need to buy a different shifter cable?
2. Did you have to buy a different interlock cable?
3. We're the floor studs that are in police package mounted in correct spot for easy shifter mount?
4. What mounts hold the console?

I understand I will need 3 parts.
1. Console-200.00
2. Shifter-100.00 or so
3. 6 pin connector

Anything else that I have missed?
When I do this conversion I may record video for your posting.

Thanks
Sidman

·
Registered
8 Posts
yes, you are the only person who like the dash shift, (not column) its clunky and not ergonomic. I put over 100 K on a 9C1 caprice with a column shift, and have no problem with um, but the 1st day in the charger sent me on my quest.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts