Dodge Charger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Will the shift interlock cable need to be purchased separately also? I spent the day at the Boneyard yesterday pulling parts and I did not get the interlock cable only the selector cable. Am I in for a frustration without the interlock cable? Thanks in advance guys I'm excited to get this project done

Column Shifter Conversion--Relax! Its pretty easy!

Hi guys,
I'd like to thank those who took their time to help others with some information regarding the shifter conversion. It was a pretty frustrating situation for me, and I felt that the instructions could have been a bit more detailed. Below, please find my step by step instructions for an easy conversion.

***VERY IMPORTANT*** The floor shifter assembly for 2008 and up has a different connector than the 2005-2007 models. It is not a 6 pin as mentioned below. If you have a 2008 or higher, you will just need a different connector, but nothing else changes. Just wanted to give you a heads up, because I don't have the diagram for it. It should still be cake for your electrician.

1-Purchase a used floor console (About $100) at a salvage yard (specific to your dodge charger by year), and remember that it needs the cup holder, chrome trim, and plastic storage above that which has the dc12 volt plugin to charge your phone. Don't forget the original floor console comes with A/C for the rear passengers, so you need to also get the black plastic air duct that goes with it. There will be a sponge blocking the main duct, so you need to take that out before inserting the tube. You connect one end to the console, and the other to the main duct. Its intuitive

2-Purchase a used or new "gear shifter assembly" (About $90 used), also specific to your dodge charger by year...The connectors and pins are different.

3-Purchase a used or new "gear selector cable" (About $48 new). The one from the column shifter will not reach. The correct cable is shorter, and goes from the transmission under the car through the firewall directly to the floor shifter. The car needs to be elevated, but it a pretty easy task for any mechanic. Once that's done, the floor shifter obviously should be installed, and the cable connected to it.

4-Purchase a used speedometer cover (About $25) to replace the one that has a hole for the column shifter. Take off the plastic speedometer cover and unscrew the column shifter, and disconnect the thin cable it has attached to the loom. That cable is for the auto shift, which sucks on the column shifter. Attach the purchased speedometer cover.

5-Get the diagram pictures below, and take them to a mechanic with electric experience. Explain to them that you need to match the 4 cables necessary from the 12 pin connector to the appropriate connector for your shifter assembly (6 or 10 pin). This requires removing the cables from the 12 pin connector, and attaching them to the connector which goes connected to your new floor shifter. This is very important, as it is responsible for the (autostick, gear placement and parking lock). You cannot drive your car without this! Connect the new connector to the floor shifter, and make sure everything works. Drive the car, and test the AUTOSTICK.

6-Place the floor console with the airduct tube in its place, along with the other attachments, and screw everything as appropriate.

The car will be obviously be inoperable without the gear selector cable, shifter and wiring. So, make sure you have everything in hand when you are ready for the conversion. I would suggest taking the car to a shop where you can do both the wiring and gear selector cable installation at once. To save yourself some more money, do the installation of the floor console yourself, and just let the mechanic do the difficult stuff.

For me, it was very important to do this. I wanted my car to look original, and definitely wanted to use the AUTOSTICK. In the end, it looks much, much better. The Police Charger comes with a few nice extras, such as the bigger brakes and steering amongst other things; and its a shame to settle for having that nasty police center console. The column shifter is not an original part, so it does not work great.

You will be very happy you did this. If you get everything you need, its a pretty quick and easy installation. Good luck guys!

·
Registered
4 Posts
It is possible to do this with out a huge headache........I just did.

Last fall I bought a 2007 Charger with a 5.7. It is a Police package vehicle. I went that way because the price was great, the car was in very nice shape, and I like some of the Police upgrades.

The Police package vehicles come with the shifter on the column.
One of the biggest things I had to do on the inside was figure out a center console. There weren't many after market options and they all were for Police applications. I also decided I did not like the auto-stick on the column shifter. I decided I wanted to put an R/T center console and floor shifter in the vehicle. I tried to search everywhere for someone who had done the conversion from column to floor shifter and I could not find any help. I decided to order the parts and figure it out myself.

I began by ordering the center console. I got it online from a salvage yard. I had trouble finding a place that had a complete console. I had to buy the shifter bezel and tray separately. Next I had to find a shifter box, this also proved complicated as not a lot of places would sell the box with the shift plate/gear indicator plate. I found one on ebay for a pretty good price. I also had to buy an ashtray.

Now I had all the parts and just had to figure out how it all went together. I was a little worried about how everything would fit and if the wiring would match up. I always had plan B of putting the column shifter back on. I started by ripping apart the dash and removing the column shifter. The assembly was bolted to the column. I removed the bolts and disconnected the cable to the transmission as well as the gear lock cable. The gear lock cable locks the vehicle in park until the ignition is on. I disconnected the wiring connectors that went to the column shifter. The wiring controls gear indicator position, auto-stick, ignition lock. I noticed there was an 11 pin connector from the main wire loom to the column shifter. I looked at the floor shifter box and found it was only a 6 pin connector. This is what I was kinda worried about, the connectors weren't the same. I was able to mount the shift box and it shifted fine, now I just had to figure out the wiring. I noticed the wiring for the column shifter plugged in to the main wire loom with a 6 pin connector. I figured I needed the the wire pig-tail that plugs in to the main wire loom and then plugs in to the floor shifter box. I call the dealer and they said I had to buy a complete interior wire harness ($500) because that pig-tail was not sold separately. I called several salvage yards and no one wanted to part with just that section of the wire harness. I went to the dealer and was able to get a copy of the wiring diagram for the floor shifter. It showed the 6 pin connector and the color of wire that belonged to each pin. I found that the wire colors on the diagram matched the wire colors that were in the main wire loom. I looked at the 11 pin connector for the column shifter and found it was the same style/size as the on that plugs into the floor shifter box, it was just too long with 11 pins instead of the needed 6. I cut 5 pin positions off the 11 pin connector and made it into a 6 pin connector. I had to move some of the pins around on the connector so they would match up properly with the wiring. It plugged into the back of the floor shifter box perfectly and the other end was already plugged into the main wire loom.

With the wiring figured out I connected the shift and ignition lock cables and installed the center console.

After it was all installed I took it for a test drive. Everything worked perfectly. It shifted great and the auto-stick worked awesome. It was very nice to have the auto-stick on the floor.

I hope I didn't lose anyone one explaining the wiring part. I will try to post some pictures that will hopefully explain it a little better. The point here is to document that this will work with out too many problems. The whole converson cost me about $250. Hopefully this will help someone who is wondering if this is possible.

If anyone has any questions, don't hesitate to post them here or PM me and I will try to help.

-Joe
How did you get autostick on the floor?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Many thanks to 2007CHARGERNC for the chart.
I noticed another member questioning the issue of going from the 12 pin, to the 6 pin & I had the same question.
Why bother ? They both ultimately connect to the car via 6 pins.
That chart gets rid of the unnecessary splicing.

Now, of course the chart is incomplete (terminal 3 missing) but by process of elimination the final wire is a no brainer.
In an attempt to simplify ( as well as double check & have a clear version for a snapshot ) Here is what I've come up with. (Note : the numbers in this list correspond to the numbers molded into the SHIFTER side connector)

Dash side.....................Gear Shift side
Light Blue...................... 1 Pink
Black............................ 2 Black / Orange stripe
Brown........................... 3 Green / White stripe
null............................. 4 null
Black / Green stripe......... 5 White / Green stripe
Gray............................ 6 White / Blue Stripe

Got all the parts & am about to start the conversion.
Will update if needed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Apparently I'm no longer given the option of an edit button...hmm, maybe it expires after a while.
The wire I referred to as "Brown" is actually yellow. Mine is discolored near the connector.

I got a snap of the junction before installation for better visual representation.
I personally couldn't make heads or tails of the spaghetti in the other photos.

Mindcrime11 asked if the interlock cable is NEEDED, although its an old post, nobody answered.
Yes, at least in my case the interlock cable was required. They look nearly identical, but there must be a small difference in length between the shifter housing & the cable end as the old one would not allow me to remove the key from the ignition.

All in all, it was a fairly straight forward swap, but I probably wouldn't have even attempted it without y'all.
The most difficult part was simply removing the 3rd bolt from the dash shifter, but it's not mandatory if you don't mind leaving the old assembly in the dash.
Everything works & looks so much better. Thanks for the thread.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an 09 police package with a 3.5 v6. Does anyone know if the wiring is the same as the 07?
Unfortunately, no. The shifter changed in 2008 as well as the wiring. I gather from previous posts that it's a nearly identical procedure with a few extra wires to deal with.
Not to say it's impossible, but why would you want the early shifter since it doesn't fit the '08 console & the '05-'07 console doesn't fit the '08 dash.

...So yeah, go ahead & use the '08 & up shifter. It'll make life easier for ya.
If you need one, I come across them quite regularly & can sell them for $60 + shipping WITH TERMINAL, hardware, etc.
I can also get the cables at around $20 each
I don't make anything on them at that price, so if you can find one cheaper, BUY IT !
Best of luck

·
Registered
46 Posts
Can anyone tell me how to be sure which shifter box will work for the conversion? I have seen a few different models when out at the boneyards. One goes to drive, then down to 3, 2, L, and another model has 4 positions: P, R, N, D, with a wide gate at D with +/-, looks like the "tiptronic" style. My car is a 2006 HEMI model, and I want to be sure that I install the correct one.

I picked up a complete center console with the shifter box, trim, etc. this weekend out of an "05 or 06" Magnum, which is the tiptronic style. Will this work?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Unfortunately, no. The shifter changed in 2008 as well as the wiring. I gather from previous posts that it's a nearly identical procedure with a few extra wires to deal with.
Not to say it's impossible, but why would you want the early shifter since it doesn't fit the '08 console & the '05-'07 console doesn't fit the '08 dash.

...So yeah, go ahead & use the '08 & up shifter. It'll make life easier for ya.
If you need one, I come across them quite regularly & can sell them for $60 + shipping WITH TERMINAL, hardware, etc.
I can also get the cables at around $20 each
I don't make anything on them at that price, so if you can find one cheaper, BUY IT !
Best of luck

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think you missed one of my data points: my car is a 2006, so wouldn't the 2005 console & shifter from the Magnum work? I dry fit the center console I salvaged this weekend in my car after removing the metal "police desk", and it seems like a perfect fit, plus the shifter box I found looks like it is an exact match to the one the guy is using in the YouTube video referenced in another post, unless I'm missing something...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Apparently I'm no longer given the option of an edit button...hmm, maybe it expires after a while.
The wire I referred to as "Brown" is actually yellow. Mine is discolored near the connector.

I got a snap of the junction before installation for better visual representation.
I personally couldn't make heads or tails of the spaghetti in the other photos.

Mindcrime11 asked if the interlock cable is NEEDED, although its an old post, nobody answered.
Yes, at least in my case the interlock cable was required. They look nearly identical, but there must be a small difference in length between the shifter housing & the cable end as the old one would not allow me to remove the key from the ignition.

All in all, it was a fairly straight forward swap, but I probably wouldn't have even attempted it without y'all.
The most difficult part was simply removing the 3rd bolt from the dash shifter, but it's not mandatory if you don't mind leaving the old assembly in the dash.
Everything works & looks so much better. Thanks for the thread.
Crispy,

How do you get the interlock cable to release from the ignition? I harvested one yesterday at the Upull it yard, but I was paranoid, so I got the whole ignition assembly out of the donor car. Looks like the yellow push connector is how you release the cable from the ignition, but I don't want to mess it up...thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Can anyone tell me how to be sure which shifter box will work for the conversion? I have seen a few different models when out at the boneyards. One goes to drive, then down to 3, 2, L, and another model has 4 positions: P, R, N, D, with a wide gate at D with +/-, looks like the "tiptronic" style. My car is a 2006 HEMI model, and I want to be sure that I install the correct one.

I picked up a complete center console with the shifter box, trim, etc. this weekend out of an "05 or 06" Magnum, which is the tiptronic style. Will this work?

Thanks!
It depends on which transmission you have. If your car was previously a cop car, it's a slapshift. I mean...I've never seen a 3-speed cop car. If it's in the 05-07 range, the one with the -/+ is the one you want.

I figured that out unfortunately. Now my problem is the wiring. I need a diagram for 09
That, I don't have...someone here does though. I seem to remember someone posting it earlier in the thread...but i smoke a lot of weed.

I think you missed one of my data points: my car is a 2006, so wouldn't the 2005 console & shifter from the Magnum work? I dry fit the center console I salvaged this weekend in my car after removing the metal "police desk", and it seems like a perfect fit, plus the shifter box I found looks like it is an exact match to the one the guy is using in the YouTube video referenced in another post, unless I'm missing something...
Yeah, 05-07 is all the same (Charger & Magnum) Yer good.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It depends on which transmission you have. If your car was previously a cop car, it's a slapshift. I mean...I've never seen a 3-speed cop car. If it's in the 05-07 range, the one with the -/+ is the one you want.

That, I don't have...someone here does though. I seem to remember someone posting it earlier in the thread...but i smoke a lot of weed.

Yeah, 05-07 is all the same (Charger & Magnum) Yer good.

Great, because I actually have two of them, LOL! Now the only thing I'm nervous about is the wiring. Hoping to make the switch over next weekend. Still not quite sure if I have all the parts & pieces for the electrical work...

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you have the pigtail that goes into the shifter (hopefully long enough not to have to splice twice) and you have the original 5 pin that goes into the dash shifter, you SHOULD have everything you need as far as wiring goes.

It's quite a satisfying conversion. If you have enough confidence to start the project, I'm sure you have the skill to finish it. It was far easier than I thought it would be (thanks to this forum for sure)
Best of luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Crispy,

How do you get the interlock cable to release from the ignition? I harvested one yesterday at the Upull it yard, but I was paranoid, so I got the whole ignition assembly out of the donor car. Looks like the yellow push connector is how you release the cable from the ignition, but I don't want to mess it up...thanks!
You have 3 options...Use original cable (which I found not to work) You can dismantle the ignition switch with a star wrench...OR if you have a key to the donor car, you can turn the key on & depress the yellow button on the side of the switch & just pull the cable out

(...sorry for the delay...I've been hiding in the shop)

·
Registered
46 Posts
You have 3 options...Use original cable (which I found not to work) You can dismantle the ignition switch with a star wrench...OR if you have a key to the donor car, you can turn the key on & depress the yellow button on the side of the switch & just pull the cable out

(...sorry for the delay...I've been hiding in the shop)
Great info! Thank you!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone know how to do the 12 pin to 10 pin for a 2009 Dodge Charger ? The shifter is out of a dodge magnum and has a 10 pin connection and I can’t find a diagram anywhere

41 - 60 of 73 Posts