Dodge Charger Forum banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I can’t figure out where the the plug is in the dash to unplug
You are going to have to splice into the 12-pin wiring harness that plugs into the column shifter assembly and extend the wires from the car side of the harness to the control wire harness (6-pin) that plugs into the left side of the center column shifter. These wires are referenced in other posts in this thread - you will need about 4' long wires to splice into the 6 wires in the center shifter unit. Hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It should be pretty easy to figure out. Grab the wiring sheets from this post and watch the video on YouTube. Once you have everything opened up on the dash and look at the connector pins on the left side of the center console shifter, it becomes pretty obvious what to do. The only difference may be the wiring harness end connector, but you'll be splicing wires anyway, so that shouldn't matter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you please help us with pictures it would aid us so much I have a 2010 Charger 5.7L one of few lucky people in the middle east to own it from the dealer with 0 mileage :) currently I have the civilian console after a long search around but really the chances of putting down the shifter was taking my mind recently I even started searching & noticed there is a difference in the transmission cable, did you meet such a thing?! & if not just let us know what we need rather than the shifter box & the decoration & the exact trick of the connector if I could buy it too from any scrap yard Joe really you would do a huge favour to tons of police pkg guys PLZ help :) thanks again for your amazing contribution to the world :D literally you would :D
I did it,it went south, won't shift out of first gear, limited rpm

·
Registered
46 Posts
Two questions: What year is your car? If it is pre-2010, the YouTube Video plus the attached wiring diagrams should be all you need.

One mistake you could have made is tying into the wrong side of the connector under the dash. I stressed out for about an hour when I went to make my cuts, but it went perfectly for me.

The next thing that comes to mind is that you have the right shifter box. You have to get the one that has the Oval shaped gate at "D" for the tiptronic control. If your shifter has anything past "D", like slots for going into 3, 2, etc, that could be your problem.

You have to have the box that looks like this:
IMG_20200314_170406.jpg

·
Registered
46 Posts
Also remember that you need the longer shifter cable and shift release cable to the ignition. When doing the wires, you will need some spare wire to extend the wires from the new shifter box to snake back under the radio and up to the splice point under the dash. You may have something crossed. Once it's working you can simply remove the shifter from the dash by undoing the hex head set screw and removing the lever. The rest of the stuff can be left where it is. The last thing you will need is a new face plate/bezel from the salvage yard to cover the hole left by removing the dash shifter. It will fit great except at the bottom, where it may not line up exactly with the kick plate, but it's very minor.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Note that I swapped out my door cards for my 2006 pursuit with the all black ones from a 2009 Charger and used a leather steering wheel I pulled from the same 2006 Magnum donor car that supplied my console and shifter box! They were both exact fits. Plus I put in leather power seats from an '08 Charger. The wiring harness to power the seat was already there under the carpet, so it was plug & play!

61 - 73 of 73 Posts