Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any ideas? All while driving my Charger yesterday it overheated then cooled back down. When I got home I added some antifreeze and everything looked good. Today I took the family out and the car overheated again. I was low on coolant again so I added some but once the car warmed back up and overheated again. I could see coolant was comming out on the back side on the motor. I could not see where it was coming from but it looked like the intake manifold. I had it towed home and started it up with more coolant and watched it come off what looked like the back side of my intake. I do not see where coolant would even be back there and have not seen any pic's or diagrams that show any coolant tubes, hoses ect. in that area. I have no coolant in my oil, and as fast as the coolant came I would not think it is a head gasket. I do not want to take the fuel rails and manifold off if it is not needed. If anybody has seen this or has info on how it may be happening, I would appreciate it.
Thanks
Aficio

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would guess its coming from under side of your oil filter housing. I think they ran coolant there to keep oil cool.? If someone over tightened it it may have cracked? I have read some place this is a common problem because its plastic. hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would guess its coming from under side of your oil filter housing. I think they ran coolant there to keep oil cool.? If someone over tightened it it may have cracked? I have read some place this is a common problem because its plastic. hope this helps.
Did not know that, I have looked through a bunch of diagrams and Pics to look at the cooling system but the documentation saw has not shown anything. I was wondering why they placed the cooler there.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I had my oil cooler/filter housing replaced because it was cracked & leaking oil, it is a known issue with '14+ though. The lower oil cooler part of the unit is mostly metal, but the coolant line does attach to a plastic nipple I believe. The upper part that houses the filter is plastic, that is usually what cracks because the cap is overtightened. Maybe there is a problem with the coolant line itself, the nipple cracked, or it is not attached tightly for some reason. You have to take off the intake to even see it though. I'm thinking they put it on top the motor so it's easy to change the filter, I do like that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts