Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon. I am tracking down a random overheating issue on my 2006 charger, 3.5. it seems to overheat randomly.

Anyway there is a small hole drilled into the tank, facing the fender.

What is this hole for?

How can the system maintain proper pressure with this hole?

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Is it the hole circled in red?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right where we want it is not. This is a small hole maybe 1/16 of an inch in diameter. Dislocation would be and that diagram with the arrow is pointing for item number three, if you move that arrow to about the same distance on the right hand side of the tank closest to the fender that's where the hole is

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I'm not aware of any hole in that location that is a function of the tank. My guess is the tank has a hole in it and so it's not holding pressure. The pressure cap on the tank is rated at 19-23 psi.
The pressure relief point (in pounds) is engraved on top of the cap. Later model Chargers have a pressure cap rated at 16-21 psi. If the tank is not holding pressure it will cause the coolant to lose cooling capacity (overheat).

·
Registered
722 Posts
Wow, looks factory for sure. That must just be a non-pressurized overflow tank. Is the coolant level right when it's hot? Then it can suck it in past the cap when it cools.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hard to say, when it gets hot it starts coming out of that hole. Once it cools down I'm low on water

·
Registered
722 Posts
The coolant levels. Are they both at the right level when hot and cold? I'm not sure of your exact model, but like was said, the cap should allow it to suck coolant back into the radiator when it cools, so no air is present. When it heats up, the coolant is pushed into the over flow tank, until it cools again.

·
Registered
569 Posts
That hole should not be there, it should look like the pic below

I would replace the whole tank, they are only like $30 brand new

1 - 15 of 15 Posts