Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Charger R/T
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to top off my coolant in my pre-eagle 5.7L Hemi, currently has green coolant but I have a new bottle of Valvoline Zerex G05 (yellow) coolant from a previous Dodge vehicle. I hear your not supposed to mix coolant colors because it can make a gel-like substance and mess up the cooling system, but I would prefer not to have to flush my current coolant or get a new green coolant bottle just because it needs to be topped off. Is it safe to use G05 with the green coolant or not? Please Help!!! Thanks

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Only use the coolant that is listed in the Owner Manual. For a 2006 it's a glycol base coolant with corrosion inhibitors called HOAT (Hybrid Organic Additive Technology). Later models (I think 2013 was the crossover year) use a ethylene-glycol base coolant with organic corrosion inhibitors called OAT (Organic Additive Technology).
Valvoline Zerex G05 coolant is HOAT

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Charger R/T
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only use the coolant that is listed in the Owner Manual. For a 2006 it's a glycol base coolant with corrosion inhibitors called HOAT (Hybrid Organic Additive Technology). Later models (I think 2013 was the crossover year) use a ethylene-glycol base coolant with organic corrosion inhibitors called OAT (Organic Additive Technology).
Valvoline Zerex G05 coolant is HOAT
So yes I can add in the Zerex G05 coolant into my current green colored coolant?

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Green coolant is Inorganic Acid Technology (IAT) coolant. This type of coolant uses silicates as corrosion inhibitors. HOAT contains both silicates and nitrites as inhibitors. HOAT can be mixed with IAT. IAT or HOAT should not be mixed with OAT because OAT coolants do not have silicates or nitrites. The OAT coolant will become contaminated if silicates/nitrites are added.
I don't know when the coolant system was last serviced (flush & refill) but if you decide to perform a flush/refill use all HOAT coolant to refill it. HOAT, not IAT, is the coolant specified for the 2006 Hemi.

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Charger R/T
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Green coolant is Inorganic Acid Technology (IAT) coolant. This type of coolant uses silicates as corrosion inhibitors. HOAT contains both silicates and nitrites as inhibitors. HOAT can be mixed with IAT. IAT or HOAT should not be mixed with OAT because OAT coolants do not have silicates or nitrites. The OAT coolant will become contaminated if silicates/nitrites are added.
I don't know when the coolant system was last serviced (flush & refill) but if you decide to perform a flush/refill use all HOAT coolant to refill it. HOAT, not IAT, is the coolant specified for the 2006 Hemi.
Ok, thank you. Yeah I don't know when the last time it was flushed. I can try to look back in my service records.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts